Find
Notify
Tools

largest capacity 6mm/30-30
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of prof242
posted
Does anyone know which of the 6mm/.30-30 wildcats has the largest case capacity? Am making up a bumming around rifle on a Contender G-2 action. If there is another wildcat using a different case that can keep the pressures workable within the Contender G-2, that might be an option.

.395 Family Member
DRSS, po' boy member
Political correctness is nothing but liberal enforced censorship

Posts: 3490 | Location: Colorado Springs, CO | Registered: 04 April 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Probably the 6mm /30-30 Ackley Improved. In a strong action, you can approach 243 Win performance.

Posts: 8169 | Location: humboldt | Registered: 10 April 2002Reply With Quote

Picture of Mark
posted Hide Post
There is a 6mm Bullberry based off the 30-30, but I have no idea how it compares, you might want to call or email bullberry and ask them, and they also make Contender barrels chambered for them and a few others:

http://www.bullberry.com/TCbarrels.html

for every hour in front of the computer you should have 3 hours outside

Posts: 7774 | Location: Between 2 rivers, Middle USA | Registered: 19 August 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
308 Bellm or 309 JDJ

Posts: 817 | Location: Missouri | Registered: 24 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
O.K. There were a number of other gunsmiths doing what Mr. Ackley was doing, straightening out funnel shaped cases, and called "improved." He wrote many magazine columns and answered questions by ignorant punks like me graciously so his name survives. I wrote him about the .25/35 imp thinking that the reported velocities were in WCF single shots or Sharps or ??? and he replied, "No. Do it all the time in Win 94, 64, Marlins, etc." !!!

For the Contender, the next up would be the Imp on the .30/40 Krag case (or .303 Brit case, by Mr. Epps of Canada). The Bulberry data I have seen is a bit disappointing. And, as suggested, Mr. Bellm has a system, you use the appropriate .308 family dies, .243 in this case, with a .444 Marlin case for the rim and a .444 shell holder to reload. I am sure the larger diameter case would be fine in the Encore. In a contender, what I have read, 'smiths won't do it. Too hot for the smaller action.

Other option is "go longer." There is a foreign case, 5.56 x 60R, simply put a real long rimmed .222 Mag case. Diameter is right for contender. Case capacity is much larger. Cost and availability can be a problem. Again, Mr. Bellm, Bellmtcs.com, has worked with these and can guide you. LUCK. Happy trails. Happy Holidays.