Find
Notify
Tools

Claw Base to Talley ring adapter
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Rick R
posted
Recently on Facebook I saw a smith who custom builds an adapter to allow the use of Talley rings on rifles with claw mounts. Basically a set of plates with claw hardware on the bottom and Talley base on top.

Just before COVID stopped the whole world I bought an original Type B Mauser in 8x57 with claw mounts but the scope and it’s half of the setup are lost to time. My 64 year old eyes like scopes more and more every year and a nice 1-4x mounted atop the little rifle would be kinda nifty.

Is this concept a viable fix for my problem?
(He’s a bit pricey)

Posts: 1912 | Location: Charleston, WV, USA | Registered: 10 January 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Recknagel make a claw to picatinny rail adapter. Basically a piece of rail with claw feet at the front and locking feet at the back. It rotates in just like a claw mount. You then use normal picatinny type rings to mount scope. Whether you can still quickly detach scope very much depends on length of scope, size of bell and how its mounted. Its kind of a conglomeration of lots of bits.

Better in my view is to either have proper rings made for the scope and fitted to the claw bases. Recknagel make blanks.

Alternatively drift out the claw bases and replace them either with a swing style mount, or with a weaver style that is machined to fit the dovetails for the claw bases.

Posts: 984 | Location: Scotland | Registered: 28 February 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
To correctly fit the "claws" takes the same amount of time whether an adaptor or the appropriate rings. To me you would be better served removing the claw bases and installing either a modern pivot type, or making custom Talley bases.

Nathaniel Myers
Myers Arms LLC
nathaniel@myersarms.com
www.myersarms.com
Follow us on Instagram and YouTube

I buy Mauser actions, parts, micrometers, tools, calipers, etc. Specifically looking for pre-WWII Mauser tools.

Posts: 1489 | Location: Ohio | Registered: 06 June 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Rick R
posted Hide Post

In well used but decent shape for a rifle built in 1905, the bore is great, most serial numbers are there. Looks like some guy bought it then added the scope mount later as he got older / became more affluent.

I’m thinking I’ll keep it reasonably “as is” probably add a three position safety. What’s the best route to have rings fitted?

Posts: 1912 | Location: Charleston, WV, USA | Registered: 10 January 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of loud-n-boomer
posted Hide Post
I presume the rear base is screwed on and would not be surprised if you found that the front is also screwed onto the receiver , and that the dovetailed claw base is hiding the screws. If so, mounting new bases would be easier though you might have to go with a custom hole spacing to match the existing.

One morning I shot an elephant in my pajamas. How he got into my pajamas I'll never know. - Groucho Marx

Posts: 3821 | Location: Eastern Slope, Colorado, USA | Registered: 01 March 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
THE "ADAPTER' CONCEPT ESCAPES ME! SIMPLY PURCHASE THE SUITABE RINGS FROM RECKNAGEL/ (NECG) AND BE DONE WITH IT.

ONE MUST BE A LITTLE CAREFUL...THE OLD SPACING OF THE CLAW RECESSES WERE DIFFERENT THAN LATER MFG..

NOT USUALLY A BIGGEE..USUALLY ONE CAN RE FIT THE MODERN FOOT.

hAVE TO REMEMBER THAT THE FULCRUM MUST BE VERY NEAR THE FRONT OF THE SCOPE..SO OBVIOUSLY A LONG SCOPE, THE FRONT FOOT MUST BE MOUNTED ON THE BARREL

Posts: 3506 | Location: Phone: (253) 535-0066 / (253) 230-5599, Address: PO Box 822 Spanaway WA 98387 | www.customgunandrifle.com | Registered: 16 April 2013Reply With Quote