New
Find
Notify
Tools

Hogue Rifle Stock Question Please
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I just purchased a Hogue Over-Moulded stock for my Ruger M77 MKII in .223. Previously I had removed the factory stock to float the barrel. Upon re-assembly I learned that there is a definate sequence/torque that each of the three action screws must have in order to shoot accurately. I had a heck of a time finding the right combo to get it to group again but eventually did. My question is, With the Hogue stock, will I have the same trials and errors or will I be able to install and shoot? BTW, I got the pillar bedded model, not the full bedded action one. Thanks for your help.

Posts: 153 | Location: Butler County, Ohio | Registered: 23 September 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Seems you have a very sensitive action there.

I have several Hogue stocks in misc calibers, and have alwasy found that they shot equal to, or better than the orginal stocks.

Only trial and error will tell on each gun.

Remember, forgivness is easier to get than permission.

Posts: 3993 | Location: Hudsonville MI USA | Registered: 08 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by .22 HORNET:
I just purchased a Hogue Over-Moulded stock for my Ruger M77 MKII in .223. Previously I had removed the factory stock to float the barrel. Upon re-assembly I learned that there is a definate sequence/torque that each of the three action screws must have in order to shoot accurately. I had a heck of a time finding the right combo to get it to group again but eventually did. My question is, With the Hogue stock, will I have the same trials and errors or will I be able to install and shoot? BTW, I got the pillar bedded model, not the full bedded action one. Thanks for your help.

Just tighten the center screw enough to alow the floor plate / trigger guard to line up correctly. I use a drop of blue locktite on ctr screw also

Posts: 2357 | Location: KENAI, ALASKA | Registered: 10 November 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have one on my Ruger M77 .308 heavy barrel, the full aluminum bedding block model. It is much more comfortable than the original Ruger stock and shoots tighter groups. I don't think you made a bad decision.

Posts: 1658 | Location: Colorado, USA | Registered: 11 November 2002Reply With Quote