New
Find
Notify
Tools

Ring system for pre 64 model 70
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Does anyone have an opinion about using an old Redfield base on a pre 64 model 70?

The one I have has a one piece base with a twist on front ring and a rear ring that is held by screw tension. It is a lot like the Leupold ring system. The front ring on mine has four screws while the rear ring has only two screws.

I do not have any experience with this old set up and do not know whether to use it or something more modern.

Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times.

Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times.

Posts: 697 | Location: Dublin, Georgia | Registered: 19 November 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
great mount - strong solid etc etc. no reason not to use it

Posts: 13462 | Location: faribault mn | Registered: 16 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by butchloc:
great mount - strong solid etc etc. no reason not to use it

Yep, what butchloc said!
I worked in sporting goods/gun sales for over 20 years (about 30 years ago)and sold literally thousands of these Redfield mounts. Never did see any issues unless the user didn't get the rear lock-down/windage screws tight against the slots on the rings.

Zeke

One of Us
posted Hide Post
This Redfield base has been on the rifle since it was scoped way back when. The base along with an El Paso made Weaver K4 with thin cross hairs and a dot were a team. But my eyes are getting older and I am going to change to a scope with more power.

That is why I was asking the question and wondering if I would pick up any more reliability using some new and modern base/ring combination. It would be the perfect time to change the mount since the old scope is coming off anyway.

Thanks for the responses.

Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times.

Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times.

Posts: 697 | Location: Dublin, Georgia | Registered: 19 November 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The Redfield mount was good enough for the US military, who used it on the M1903A4 sniper rifle in World War II.

I believe Leupold rings will fit Redfield bases.

One of Us
Picture of Snellstrom
posted Hide Post
What everyone said is correct, 100%.
However if the screws are buggered or it is just worn looking and you want to update a new set of Leupold dual dovetail bases and rings are fairly cheap. I've switched most all my rifles to the Dual dovetail just because there is a little more perceived strength in the set up and less screws (windage) to come loose.
But what you have is a strong, reliable set up and has been for years and years.

Posts: 5604 | Location: Eastern plains of Colorado | Registered: 31 October 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
It will be work fine. Just take the top half of the rings off, drop in you new scope and replace the top half. The only real flaw with that system that I personally found was that you can twist off the windage screws. I did it!

Mark

MARK H. YOUNG
MARK'S EXCLUSIVE ADVENTURES
7094 Oakleigh Dr. Las Vegas, NV 89110
Office 702-848-1693
Cell, Whats App, Signal 307-250-1156 PREFERRED
E-mail markttc@msn.com
Check us out on https://www.facebook.com/pages...ures/627027353990716

Posts: 13024 | Location: LAS VEGAS, NV USA | Registered: 04 August 2002Reply With Quote