New
Find
Notify
Tools

Re: Winchester 63
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Just for your files...a good place for gun parts is: Lee's (Jeff Lee) Gun Parts @ 972 790 0773 / Irving , TX ...near Dallas. There is no telling what he has!

Posts: 1529 | Location: Texas | Registered: 15 December 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
My Dad is experiencing feeding problems with his Winchester M63. I'm thinking that it has to do with the fact the 66 year old springs may have lost some of their, well, "spring". The gun misfeeds when stripping a new round up into the action from the magazine. As the bolt comes forward, it catches the lead tip of the round in the magazine tube, jamming the action. It is my hope that putting in a new spring kit will solve the problem.
Anyone know where I can pick one up? Would USRAC have such a thing, considering their recent spate of reproductions?

Also, anyone know where to procure an original front sight for this gun? The original was broken years ago and the gunsmith that Dad took it to installed a different one that Dad swears is taller. Not to mention that it isn't a brass bead. I myself have never had trouble with it, but Dad says that as long as I'm looking for springs I might as well look for a sight also.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thank you,
Coot

one of us
Picture of covey16
posted Hide Post
Check the tiny spring on the cartridge cutoff and the tip of the cartridge cutoff itself.

Also, wear can cause a change in the profile of the outer magazine tube,where the nose of the bullets hits the tube .

Both of these items can cause your problem.

Numrich stocks the magazine spring.

Be careful knocking the pin out when you replace the spring as you can bend the tube quite easily.

Before you replace the spring, make sure the inner tube is not full of oil that has turned gummy.

This can cause your problem also.

I 've got a '48 model that still has the original springs and works fine, but you never know with springs.

Lyman ,Williams and Marbles ,i believe, still make a front sight for Mod 63's in a variety of heights.

Good luck

Covey16

Posts: 4197 | Location: Sabine County,Texas | Registered: 10 February 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Scrollcutter
posted Hide Post
The original Winchester front sight didn't have a brass bead. It was a little dollup of soft solder.

Just for your info.

Posts: 1634 | Location: Washington State | Registered: 29 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Try a thorough cleaning and make sure you are feeding the rifle good ammo. I have 2 63's and both function well if fed good ammo. I believe Winchester originally said to use SuperX High Speed+High Speed hollow points only in these rifles. Some of the discount store cheap ammo won't function reliably in my rifles.
One of my rifles has a Lyman receiver sight and I had to add a taller front sight to get the rifle to zero at 50 yards.
C.G.B.

Posts: 238 | Location: Colorado | Registered: 05 June 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of covey16
posted Hide Post
CGB
Good point on the Ammo, mine likes SuperX solids and Remington HV solids bestfor function as well as accuracy.
Also, it's a good idea to operate the push rod briskly to load the first round .

Covey16

Posts: 4197 | Location: Sabine County,Texas | Registered: 10 February 2005Reply With Quote