New
Find
Notify
Tools

Center feed magzine, feeding problems!
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I built a Stevens 200 center feed action into a long range .243 Win 1:7 twist to run bullets up to 115 grains. I can seat the bullets out to 2.8" and still get them to fit in the magazine. However when I seat bullets to this COAL, the bolt head rides overtop the cartridge. If I seat the bullets to 2.6" or less COAL my problem goes away but then my bullet isn't even coming close to the lands, and is eating up powder room.

The problem is once the cartridge starts to angle up into the chamber, it is as such an angle the rim of the cartridge slips under the bolt. Is there any way I can tweak the magazine to cure this problem? I really don't want to operate this rifle as a single shot.

My other question would something like CDI bottom metal which allows the use of Accuracy International magazines fix my problem? I had planned to upgrade the stock and change out the blind mag for the detachable style in the future. However if I can't get things to work properly from the factory magazine I might have to speed up the upgrade process.

one of us
posted Hide Post
You might be able to bring the front edge of the feed lips back a bit to release the rim sooner, before it tips up too much.

Posts: 3780 | Location: SC,USA | Registered: 07 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Masterifleman
posted Hide Post
quote:
You might be able to bring the front edge of the feed lips back a bit to release the rim sooner, before it tips up too much.

+1

"I ask, sir, what is the Militia? It is the whole people. To disarm the people is the best and most effective way to enslave them" - George Mason, co-author of the Second Amendment during the Virginia convention to ratify the Constitution

Posts: 1699 | Location: San Antonio, TX | Registered: 14 April 2004Reply With Quote