New
Find
Notify
Tools

Ruger No.1 460Wby??
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
For some unknown reason have recently been acquiring these rifles and have another one lined up and considering converting to subject caliber. I fully understand the recoil issues having had one in 458Lott, but other than that, is the action suitable for such a caliber and by suitable, is it a correct assumption that the action will "handle" this powerful round??

Posts: 1328 | Location: West Virginia | Registered: 19 January 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of JBrown
posted Hide Post
Yes the action will work. Here is an article on one Dennis Olson did on the big Weatherby case: No.1

Jason

"You're not hard-core, unless you live hard-core."

Hunting in Africa is an adventure. The number of variables involved preclude the possibility of a perfect hunt. Some problems will arise. How you decide to handle them will determine how much you enjoy your hunt.

Just tell yourself, "it's all part of the adventure." Remember, if Robert Ruark had gotten upset every time problems with Harry
Selby's flat bed truck delayed the safari, Horn of the Hunter would have read like an indictment of Selby. But Ruark rolled with the punches, poured some gin, and enjoyed the adventure.

-Jason Brown

Posts: 6838 | Location: Nome, Alaska(formerly SW Wyoming) | Registered: 22 December 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of fla3006
posted Hide Post
Should handle it fine, action is plenty strong enough. They're available from the factory in 416Rigby, similar dimension cartridge. Will kick like hell.

NRA Life Member, Band of Bubbas Charter Member, PGCA, DRSS.
Shoot & hunt with vintage classics.

Posts: 9487 | Location: Texas Hill Country | Registered: 11 January 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Westpac
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by MFD:
For some unknown reason have recently been acquiring these rifles and have another one lined up and considering converting to subject caliber. I fully understand the recoil issues having had one in 458Lott, but other than that, is the action suitable for such a caliber and by suitable, is it a correct assumption that the action will "handle" this powerful round??

Forget the Lott. Have you ever fired a 460 Weatherby Mag?

I built a 338x378 KT on a No. 1 years ago and thought at the time that the thread tenon might be a bit small in diameter for such a large case. Uncomfortably thin you might say. 25 years later with no problems, I have a new found respect for the strength of the No. 1's receiver ring. Big Grin

Posts: 3171 | Location: SLC, Utah | Registered: 23 February 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ramrod340
posted Hide Post
quote:
Forget the Lott. Have you ever fired a 460 Weatherby Mag

Heck the 460 is only 140-150% of the Lott recoil. I've fired it in a MKV wouldn't want to even think about it in a #1

As usual just my $.02
Paul K

Posts: 12881 | Location: Mexico, MO | Registered: 02 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
One of the older Hornady reloading manuals states "its not a cartridge for the faint at heart, It will knock you from beneath your hat". I believe that!

Blagg Rifles, Eastern OR

Posts: 103 | Location: Eastern Oregon | Registered: 06 August 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of tiggertate
posted Hide Post
Comparing the 460 Wby to the Lott is about the difference betweenthe 45-70 modern loads and 458 Win mag. Huge difference. Saeed had some videos of people shooting a No. 1 in 460 Wby somewhere on the site. They might be useful before you decide.

OTOH, if recoil is the goal there's no reason to stop at the 45 calibers. The 550 Magnum uses the same case with a 55 caliber bullet instead of 45. It will up the anty quite a bit above the 460.

"Experience" is the only class you take where the exam comes before the lesson.

Posts: 11141 | Location: Texas, USA | Registered: 22 September 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of IanD
posted Hide Post
I have a .460 in a Mk V, and I would cringe at the thought of one in a #1. It would make the Lott feel like at 22LR going off...
All I have to say is make sure to take your dentures out before firing it (if applicable)

Posts: 366 | Location: Alberta, Canada | Registered: 13 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Dentures are applicable in my case and would not want to loose them since the price approaches that of a good double rifle! Based on all the sound advise, would say I had a bad idea even with a brake. Will return to the mild mannered 458Lott and keep my dentures. Appreciate the feedback.

Posts: 1328 | Location: West Virginia | Registered: 19 January 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of 56hawk
posted Hide Post
Why is everyone worried about the recoil? I have a Ruger No. 1 in 458 Lott and a Weatherby Mk V in 460. The Ruger weighs 9 lbs and the Weatherby 9.5 lbs so weight isn't much on a difference. My only complaint about the Ruger is that the factory recoil pad is pretty hard. Not too difficult to change that though.

I will say there is a bit of a difference between the two calibers though. Shooting offhand, neither is too bad as long as you are holding it right. Off the bench is a different story. The 458 lott is no problem as long as I'm wearing an elbow pad to keep from getting rug burn. The Weatherby is quite an experience though. Kind of like being slapped in the face and punched in the shoulder at the same time.

quote:
Originally posted by blagg:
One of the older Hornady reloading manuals states "its not a cartridge for the faint at heart, It will knock you from beneath your hat". I believe that!

I did actually have that happen once. To be fair though the hat was on top of my hearing protection and not on very tight.

One of Us
Picture of olcrip
posted Hide Post
I learned a small trick that takes some (not all) of the sting out of the heavy hitters. I made a bench that you have to shoot from standing up position. It allows the body to absorb the heavy push and give with it, not like sitting down with your body locked in place. Ear plugs along with the ear muffs seems to reduce perceived recoil some also. It hurts to bang the big ones but the thrill is addictive!
popcorn

Olcrip,
Nuclear Grade UBC Ret.
NRA Life Member, December 2009

Politicians should wear Nascar Driver's jump suites so we can tell who their corporate sponsers are!

Posts: 1800 | Location: River City, USA. East of the Mississippi | Registered: 10 February 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of 56hawk
posted Hide Post
Wish standing up was an option at my local range. On the 30 yard pistol ranges you can stand and shoot rifles. However, there are houses behind the 100 yard rifle range so you have to be sitting down and shoot below a bullet proof barrier.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
So Hawk, what your saying is your hat stayed at the bench and you ended up somwhere behind it! If so, nnoooo thannnkkkkkssss!

Blagg Rifles, Eastern OR

Posts: 103 | Location: Eastern Oregon | Registered: 06 August 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of 56hawk
posted Hide Post
blagg - I was standing up shooting rapid fire on the 30 yard pistol range. On the third round my hat fell off.