New
Find
Notify
Tools

1911 Feeding Problem
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I've just noted a problem with a newly manufactured 1911 and need a little advice. The pistol in question has a tendency to misfeed the last round out of the magazine. It seems as if the last round is pushed prematurely nose high as it's being stripped and jams nose up and slightly left just inside the chamber. The rim is jammed under the extractor. For information purposes the barrel is ramped and the pistol is equipped with an externally mounted extractor. I've noted misfeeds with heavy hardball loads and with midweight SWC loads. The pistol has less than 400 rounds through it and a total of a dozen misfeeds. I have not had a misfeed with heavy loads using 230gr Hornady XTP bullets. I've tested three different magazines from three different manafacturers and have had misfeeds with them all.
So, what's the verdict? New pistol teething problems, bad magazines, extractor need adjusting, er, what? Otherwise, great, accurate piece. However, I'm not crazy about carrying a six shot then throw away 1911.

Posts: 38 | Location: Front Range | Registered: 06 April 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
You only metioned one magazine. I highly suspect your problem is a magazine issue. I would try a different mag. I like Wilson's and Chip McCormick mags myself.

Posts: 34 | Location: VA, USA | Registered: 12 September 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I may be a poorly shaped follower, check other mags or other brands of mags. Also "jammed under the extracter" may mean the extracter needs work.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
These pieces often take 500-600 rounds before they "break" in. Live with it for a few more.

[ 07-07-2003, 17:01: Message edited by: Jim Kobe ]

Posts: 5521 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: 10 July 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of 243winxb
posted Hide Post
bend the lips of the magazine in a little

Posts: 1295 | Location: USA | Registered: 21 May 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Try changing magazines, That is the most common problem. Wilson combat make very good mags. Greg

Posts: 71 | Location: north pole , alaska | Registered: 30 June 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
As I wrote in my original note, I've tried three different magazines from three different manufacturers. Lips and followers are slightly different in all three examples. While not absolutely definitive, that would tend to rule out magazines. Any 'smiths betting on an extractor problem? If so, what would be the fix? Radius the bottom edge to relieve the angle? What about brass? I'm currently using TZZ because the price was right. Could it be too thick in the rim causing interference?

one of us
posted Hide Post
Try asking here: http://www.1911forum.com/forums/

Bye
Jack

Posts: 176 | Location: Saskatchewan | Registered: 14 January 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Tom, I've owned a bunch of 1911's and loaded for a lot more. Some of them are just ornery as hell about feeding and the ammo they will chew.

Usually a good gunsmith can help with a touch here and a polish there. The fact this happens on the LAST round seems to indicate to me and the others that it's a magazine issue. But as you've tried several mags, this isn't as simple as most magazine fixes wherein the offending mag is tossed and replaced with good ones that DO feed.

I'm going to suggest a little different approach that won't cost you anything but a little messing around with different loads.

First, you have already found one load and bullet that works fine in this pistol. I'm going to suggest you experiment with SLIGHTLY different seating depths, bullet shapes and charges. Find what combination of the above this gun wants and shoots well and then feed it that.

Seldom have I encountered an automatic pistol or revolver I couldn't make feed reliably simply by tinkering with the ammo. You will proably settle on ONE load for this pistol anyway, so when you find that load that seems good to you AND the pistol both...problem solved.

This would be my first plan of attack and then if it doesn't work go spend some money on a smith and see what he can figure out.

Sorry to be so vague but I think there often isn't a definative answer. [Frown]

Posts: 19677 | Location: New Mexico | Registered: 23 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by TomS:
...I've tested three different magazines from three different manafacturers and have had misfeeds with them all...

Try Wilson magazines.

Also, a heavier or lighter recoil spring may help you. My Les Baer feeds factory hardball just fine and (milder) 200 grain lead semiwadcutters at 850 fps just fine. If I go much higher in powder charge on the semiwadcutter loads, or if I alternate semiwadcutters with hardball, I get failures to feed with the semiwadcutters. The pattern is this: the feeding malfunctions occur when the semiwadcutter is next in line after a hard recoiling load. When the malfunction occurs, the misfed round is pointing toward the chamber, but it is sitting off to the left. The rim is sitting against the inside of the slide, and the case head is held off the breechface, because it is sitting on top of the metal that normally encircles the case head. This malfunction can happen with anything but the first round. It needs recoil to happen.

But since it's always the last round for you, it sounds as if your magazine is the culprit. Try a Wilson magazine. You are risking nothing. Maybe postage. They sell for $25 new, and someone will buy it off you for that much if it's only been used for a function check.

H. C.

Posts: 3691 | Location: West Virginia | Registered: 23 May 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I think you have given me the correct approach here and will try modifying the loads in COL then charges. As it is I can see certain trends with specific loads.
Changing recoil springs on the other hand, will be much more difficult to accomplish with this particular style and manufacture but further break in may also help in that direction.
Thank you for your help, I do appreciate it.