THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM GUNSMITHING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Guns, Politics, Gunsmithing & Reloading  Hop To Forums  Gunsmithing    Anszchutz Match 54 Versus Match 64....M64 worth having ??

Moderators: jeffeosso
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Anszchutz Match 54 Versus Match 64....M64 worth having ??
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
It seems to me..being un-educated on the subject that the match 64 anschutz action is inferior to the Match 54 action.

I have seen a Match 64 .17 hrm I am quite taken by but it is made with what seems to be there second rate action is this correct or will a match 64 action still be pretty good.

what makes the M54 so much better ??

regards pc.

Posts: 7505 | Location: Australia | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of M1Tanker
posted Hide Post
I have shot a lot of 3 & 4 position smallbore and also metallic silhouette. I started shooting position with a 64. They are super accurate rifles. At 16 I upgaded to a 2013 for position and a 54.18MS for silhouette. Both use the 54 Super match action. It is far superior to the 64. The 64 is intended for beginner to low intermediate level competetors. The 54 series are true advanced and olympic level rifles. The 54 action has a much faster lock time and superior in all other ways. And you pay almost 2X the amount for a 54 series compared a 64. I hope this is of some help to you.

William Berger

True courage is being scared to death but saddling up anyway. - John Wayne

The courageous may not live forever, but the timid do not live at all.

Posts: 3155 | Location: Rigby, ID | Registered: 20 March 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks M1,

I figured it was a crappy type of action it looks a bit like Marlins Rimfire action............the heavy barrelled Match 64 "all purpose" .17 HMR with the match 64 action set in a half bench rest type stock looked awsome but it is not the match 54 action so is probably not worth looking into and your probably not egtting much more for your money over the cheaper types of .17 hmr's ??

one of us
Picture of Matt Norman
posted Hide Post
I once coached a (small) college rifle team. We had a mix of target rifles; Rem 37's, Win 52's, a Rem 513, and several 64's. Simply put, the bolts on the 64's wore out in a few years of (hard) use. We ended up trading for 54's and they are in a different league than 64's. The 54 is fine action, and the target rifles built around them first rate.

Posts: 3282 | Location: Western Slope Colorado, USA | Registered: 17 August 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
PC.....I bought a .17HMR on the 64 action. It's in the safe right now, and I can't remember the model number. But it's a sporter weight. And a beautiful rifle. Shoots extremely small groups. Makes extremely large holes in small varmints! I paid just under 600 bucks for it. At the time I bought it, a similar rifle with the 54 action, cost $1000, to $1200......I didn't think a 54 was 400 to 600 dollars better.....I mounted an old Redfield, Widefield, 2X7 variable, with a fine "dot" reticule, on mine, and adjusted the trigger to a light pull.... No varmint that shows it's head on my farm is safe, within 200 yards. I don't think I have ever owned a sweeter shooting, or more accurate rifle.........Grant.

Posts: 336 | Location: SE Minnesota | Registered: 15 December 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of M1Tanker
posted Hide Post
For an entry level rifle, the 64 is hard to beat. They are extremely accurate and great rifles. But they are not in the same class as the 54. Comparing the 2 is like comparing a Chevy Camaro with a Corvette. Both are great cars but not comparable.

But to call the 64 "second rate", "crappy" or "similar to a Marlin" is nowhere near correct. It is an excellent action that is far superior to the Marlin or other similar actions.

Unless you are going to do very heavy competition, and I dont mean matches at the local range, you will do very well with the 64. You need to remember that the 64 is still an Anschutz, they dont put their name on anything that will not drive tacks.

William Berger

One of Us
posted Hide Post
M1,

how would the Match 64 action compare to the cz action (Brno Model 2) they use for the .17 hmr which one is the more durable of the two ??

the multi purpose anschutz looks to be an awesome gun.

one of us
Picture of M1Tanker
posted Hide Post
I think you would have a very difficult time ever wearing either action out. The earlier post refered to his clubs rifles wearing out. But you have to realise the huge amount of shooting and abuse that happens to club rifles. I know silhouette shooters who use 64 actions and fire 5000+ rounds a year and have 15 years or more of that happening that have never had an issue. But that is because they also take very good care of the rifles. Club rifles dont get treated that well. I have also seen club rifles on Anschutz 54, Winchester 52, and the reminton 513 and 540 rifles that were wore out in just a few years.

I am very partial to the CZ 452 rifles. I think they are one of the best rimfires on the market. Even compared to the Remington 504, Anschutz 1700, Kimber, and coopers. They are a lot cheaper but are still very well made and super accurate. I have 4 452's and all have needed a trigger job and glass bedded though to reach their best accuracy.

Unless you are a shooting maniac, either rifle will last your life time and whoever ends up with it after you.

William Berger

One of Us
posted Hide Post
M1 thanks for that run down, now I suppsoe one has to think about wether there prepared to fork out the $$ for the 54 match.

In oz a cz .17 hmr varmint runs $700, the Anschutz M 64 Multi Purpose heavy barrel runs at $1100 and I think the Match 54 is a bit over $2k.

M1 my last question would relate to where the differnces lie between the Match 64 action and the Cz action, are they different in there operation and which is the betterdesign of these two in your opinion ??

Thankyou for your help.

one of us
Picture of M1Tanker
posted Hide Post
The 2 actions are different. The safety on the CZ is mounted on the rear of the bolt and actually locks the fiing pin in place. While the Anschutz is a trigger block if I remember correctly. Also the 64 has a massive firing pin. The huge pin basically is the last 1/3 of the bolt. That gives a very slow lock time. But places Like Champions Choice sell titanium replacement firing pins. I have also seen people machine materail off of the mass of the pin to lighten it up. The CZ action is a little trimmer and slimmer and the lock time is much faster. But you WILL have to do a triger job on it.

Both are excellent designs and offer great quality. If it was me I would decide whether I could aford the 54. If it was in my budget I would choose it simple because it is the absolute best. But if I had to choose between the CZ and 64 it would come down to strictly which one I liked best. Pick which one suits your needs best and run with it.

William Berger

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
I figured it was a crappy type of action it looks a bit like Marlins Rimfire action............the heavy barrelled Match 64 "all purpose" .17 HMR with the match 64 action set in a half bench rest type stock looked awsome but it is not the match 54 action so is probably not worth looking into and your probably not egtting much more for your money over the cheaper types of .17 hmr's ??

I had an Anschutz 64 in .17 HMR. Incredibly accurate. I traded it off because I don't like the caliber, but the rifle was just fine.

I have a CZ in 22LR ands 22WMR; I would really like an Anschutz in 22WMR.

The 54 actions are indeed incredible, but I think the 64 is just fine for varmint hunting.

lawndart

Posts: 7158 | Location: Snake River | Registered: 02 February 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have an older Anszchutz 64M, well it is stamped Savage Anszchutz,but is pure Anszchutz other than the stamp. Is the Current production 64M action still the same. I am in need of a few parts and need to find a source. Any help would be aperciated

Posts: 448 | Registered: 27 September 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of M1Tanker
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by mike7mm08:
I have an older Anszchutz 64M, well it is stamped Savage Anszchutz,but is pure Anszchutz other than the stamp. Is the Current production 64M action still the same. I am in need of a few parts and need to find a source. Any help would be aperciated

My wifes uncle has an old Savage/Anschutz 64 and we compared it side by side to a current 64. As far as we could tell everything was still the same. The bolts swapped perfectly and functioned perfectly. I am willing to bet that they are still the same. A good source for parts for you would be Champions Choice. Do a search on the web and you will find them.

William Berger

one of us
Picture of Andre Mertens
posted Hide Post
I have both actions in .22 LR and while the 64 is a very fine rifle, it still can't compare with the superlative 54.

Anschütz 1418 stützen

Anschütz 1710

André
DRSS
---------

3 shots do not make a group, they show a point of aim or impact.
5 shots are a group.

Posts: 2420 | Location: Belgium | Registered: 25 August 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Andre, for the uninitiated, so the 1710 has the model 54 action, or what?? And how do generally tell the two actions apart?? (I'm learning here.. Smiler)

All: does the 54 action come with the superb Anschutz target triggers (adjustable for LOP, pull weight and what not), or is that reserved to other Anscutz products??

- mike

The rifle is a noble weapon... It entices its bearer into primeval forests, into mountains and deserts untenanted by man. - Horace Kephart

Posts: 6653 | Location: Switzerland | Registered: 11 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of M1Tanker
posted Hide Post
Anschutz actually makes 4 different actions. It has been a few years since I was in the smallbore game so if this has changed someone please correct me.

64 - Anschutz's entry to intermedate level action. They use it on their 1400 series sporters and match rifles. I have never seen the 64 sporters with any other trigger but the single stage, but that may not be correct. I have ssen teir 2 stage match and als single stage match triggers on the 64. I am not sure if these are the same 2 stage match triggers as they use on the 54's.

54 match - this was their premier match action for a lot of years on their 1700 series match rifles. They still use it on their 1700 seies sporters.

54 Super Match - This is only offered on their 1800, 1900, and 54--- series of match rifles.

2007/2013 - this is their newest (10 years old or so) action. It is their absolute top of the line. It still uses the same bolt as the 54 Super Match but the receiver is different in several ways.

For all the exact details click here.

ANSCHUTZ

And it is very easy to tell the difference betwen the 64 and 54. The 64 bolt is finished in the white and has a long firing pin, the rear of which is round. It is not a very sexy looking bolt.

The 54 Match has a blunt rear, is blued, and has a lag safety on the rear left of the bolt.

The 54 Super Match and 2007/2013 has no safety at all since they are all match rifles.

William Berger

one of us
Picture of jpb
posted Hide Post
M1tanker (William Berger) is correct in his summary.

I wore out a 64 action (actually the cocking surfaces on thebolt) target shooting though. I replaced it with a Brno 452 (=CZ 452 nowadays) which proved to be more accurate and more durable (the Brno has over 70,000 shots through it now without problems).

I do like the that 2013 action though -- gotta get one of those I think!

John

Posts: 1006 | Location: northern Sweden | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote