Tools

Re: Stock Machine is UP
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Jeffe
sent you a PM
Rich

Posts: 227 | Location: West Central Sask | Registered: 16 December 2000Reply With Quote
Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
Well,
I've got it up and running.. now for tuning it... The foot stock shifted on the first one, and I still am learning the machine...

these are some pics of the first first first cuts

Setup

First cuts

Other side

Roughed out... 1/2" tool

I think it'll take me 5 to 10 junk blanks to get there!!

jeffe

Posts: 39719 | Location: Conroe, TX | Registered: 01 June 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Jeff
Have you adjusted the machine to line up the parts? Did you make holes for the bearing over size to allow these parts to shift?

Here is a picture of the stock used in the demo when making the CD. Some of the first CD's didn't have this picture included. It is on loan to my son until my 14 yr old grandson gets to 18.

Let me know when you would like to come up. It would be best after the 1st of the new year. Les Brooks

Posts: 965 | Location: Texas | Registered: 19 May 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of M1Tanker
posted Hide Post
I am anxious to see the latest results. It sounds like you are having a lot of fun with it.

Posts: 3155 | Location: Rigby, ID | Registered: 20 March 2004Reply With Quote
Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
Les,
I've got it down to about .005 total slop, and I am going to tighten it up some more. I have some practice blanks in the mail, and I am planning on running another this weekend.

goign to try the "1/2"" stylus at +.1, for roughing, and then +.050" for the finals.

I certainly can come up first of the year, or, of course, you can come visit anytime you like.

how was the fishing?
jeffe

One of Us
Picture of Wstrnhuntr
posted Hide Post
Very nice Jeffe. Built or bought?

Do you happen to have any pattern stocks for a small ring Mauser?

Posts: 10171 | Location: Tooele, Ut | Registered: 27 September 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Looks like a well thought out machine! You could add some motors and a lead screw to automate things.

one of us
Picture of alvinmack
posted Hide Post
Jeff,

Would you ever consider taking in any work? I have a definate need for duplication work and I dont have the best blanks in town so if a mistake is made my world wouldnt end.

-Mike

Posts: 448 | Location: Lino Lakes, MN | Registered: 08 May 2002Reply With Quote
Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
Thanks
Built and (re)designed by me... Of Les's original... Linear bearing and shafting and more bearings, and a little more control via me.

I don't have a small ring pattern TODAY... but I will

I expect to be buying/making/aquiring a BUNCH of patterns...

gimme a bit, and let me see how we figure out how to use it, as I built it for my wife.

The router head is counter balanced POSITIVE, so if anything goes wrong, you just let go, and it all lifts out of the way.

Ian,
Working on CNC'ing my bridgeport or my lathe... haven't decided which, YET... but i've got some big servoes, a few geckos, a big DC powersupply, and I am about 60% of the way to being a "motor spinner"

jeffe

Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
Les,
when i machined the 4140 for the cross rod, i turned it .002 under bearing size... and use a collar lock to tighten it in.

I turned another tonight... about a 2000% better job after the adjustments i made to the machine...

i need to post some new pics of her... p ainted it jet black!!

jeffe