New
Find
Notify
Tools

NECG front sight
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Can anyone tell me how the masterpiece front sight is secured?, is it held on with a screw or sweated on. I have emailed NECG a couple of time and have gotten no answer. That is the one with the band

Never rode a bull, but have shot some.

NRA life member
NRA LEO firearms instructor (retired)
NRA Golden Eagles member

Posts: 1511 | Location: Camp Verde, AZ | Registered: 13 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
It has a ramp set screw. It is imported into the USA in 14 different band IDs (.551 - .827) and can be installed just like the factory Ruger banded sight.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
They are designed to be sweated on.

Posts: 4574 | Location: Valencia, California | Registered: 16 March 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Well, I guess that clears up that killpc

NRA life member
NRA Golden Eagles member

Posts: 1511 | Location: Camp Verde, AZ | Registered: 13 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The NECG Masterpiece (banded front ramp) is sweated on. Their Universal ramp is is screwed on.

Posts: 4574 | Location: Valencia, California | Registered: 16 March 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks thumb

NRA life member
NRA Golden Eagles member

One of Us
posted Hide Post
NECG’s banded front ramps need a bit of fitting since they don’t come with a built in taper, but they are beautiful pieces of work that really complement a fine rifle. Very classy looking, and the quick change blades are a nice added feature.

I’m building an 03 sporter and a Krag sporter right now and both will use the NECG banded front ramps.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Rick 0311:

Could you tell us just how you go about fitting the sight band? Thanks!

Glenn

Posts: 254 | Location: Wisconsin | Registered: 02 March 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by hst:
Rick 0311:

Could you tell us just how you go about fitting the sight band? Thanks!

Glenn

I guess there might be easier and even better ways but I turned a brass rod to the taper of my barrel and used it as a lap with grinding compound. The instructions for smacking it with a hammer and a block of wood and other such violent methods just didn’t really appeal to me since I have ruined too many things over the years trying to force fit them. I’m much more patient (and hopefully smarter) now in my older age! Smiler

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Rick 0311:
The NECG Masterpiece (banded front ramp) is sweated on. Their Universal ramp is is screwed on.

The Recknagel sight imported and sold by NECG as the Masterpiece Banded Front Ramp w/ Interchangeable Beads is suggested to be installed by either:
1. press fit and locked w/ factory ramp set screw.
2. loctite.
3. soft solder (force 44 recommended).

I have one soft soldered but have two that were hand-fit and pressed-on (locked w/ set-screw) on a 375H&H and a 458WM that were used hard and never came loose.

NECG can be reached at 603-469-3450

One of Us
posted Hide Post
You can screw any of these ramps on if you want to, and I’m sure they will stay put just fine under most circumstances. I just have a personal dislike about drilling holes in my barrels down near the muzzle where the steel is thinner. For a field gun it is too easy to bang the front sight and snap that little screw off...just my opinion.