New
Find
Notify
Tools

$600 mounts on a 1909 mauser??
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
This was represented as a "sniper" model. I don't know enough to confirm or deny, but the rifle was too rich for my blood - $795

-
 -
 -

[ 01-08-2003, 10:54: Message edited by: Scott Thornley ]

Posts: 117 | Location: Sierra Foothills, CA | Registered: 14 November 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Those are high turret mounts. Original ones are very rare. If the scope comes with it, it is worth about $2K.

Posts: 2036 | Location: Roebling, NJ 08554 | Registered: 20 January 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
No scope, just the rifle and mounts. So, are these original DWM mounts then? (showing my ignorance again)

SAT

Posts: 117 | Location: Sierra Foothills, CA | Registered: 14 November 2001Reply With Quote
<JBelk>
posted
WOW!!--

That's a rare feature on an Argentine. They were mounted and zeroed at the arsenal and supplied as "sniper" models. The scopes were usually Hensoldts with blackened brass tubes.

one of us
Picture of Nitroman
posted Hide Post
Indeed as J. Belk said.

The stock serial number doesn't match the receiver so this could be why it is going inexpensively.

If the bore is good I'd pick it up in a heartbeat, you can buy the upper mounts from Sarco to mount a scope to make a repro sniper, should you choose to sell again you'd have to mention that. Don't wait, take a loan and buy it.

Posts: 1844 | Location: Southwest Alaska | Registered: 28 February 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of D Humbarger
posted Hide Post
Those are indeed the High turres mounts on a 1909 Argentine but if memory serves me DWM did not make the mounts. They may have been make at the Mauser Orbendorf plant or more likely by one of the many subcontractors.
 -

Posts: 8350 | Location: Jennings Louisiana, Arkansas by way of Alabama by way of South Carloina by way of County Antrim Irland by way of Lanarkshire Scotland. | Registered: 02 November 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
It's a crummy picture, but the stock and receiver are both "9927". The bolt matched as well. I didn't check all the parts to see if they matched, as I wasn't aware of the rifles value. It seems I'll be stopping by the shop tomorrow to see if it is still there.

Scott

one of us
posted Hide Post
Is that thumb slot right? It's a LOT deeper than on my 4.

Posts: 2258 | Location: Bristol, England | Registered: 24 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Federal Arms is currently selling original high turret mounts WITH rings for $299 if anyone has a desire to put one together...

Sam B.
FireflyArms.com

Posts: 497 | Location: Lewistown, PA USA | Registered: 21 December 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
In the following link you can see the scope and mounts , it's in Spanish in Buenos Aires also the French scope for the 1981 Mauser rifle.
Saludos

Daniel
http://www.argentinasafary.com/montajes.htm

[ 01-09-2003, 18:51: Message edited by: Daniel M ]

Posts: 332 | Location: Cantabria Spain | Registered: 23 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Jack, or KurtC - is this Zeiss the correct scope?

-

Scott

P.S. the rifle is on hold. The bolt, action and stock match - I couldn't see any other numbers. The bore was shiny, with no sign of "barrel cancer". Anything else I should be looking for?

[ 01-11-2003, 06:34: Message edited by: Scott Thornley ]

one of us
Picture of Nitroman
posted Hide Post
The thing you should be looking for is your checkbook to buy that rifle.

Posts: 1844 | Location: Southwest Alaska | Registered: 28 February 2001Reply With Quote