Find
Notify
Tools

This stock fits which Sako??
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of ramrod340
posted
Well I picked up this stock simply to copy the left hand butt on a right hand M98 front. But thought since I had it might as well keep it as well. The action is a right hand based on the loading port and groove cut for a slide safety. The bottom says Sako 1010. Any educated guesses?

As usual just my $.02
Paul K

Posts: 12881 | Location: Mexico, MO | Registered: 02 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of sambarman338
posted Hide Post
Not educated but, since no one else has replied, I suspect it is a reasonably modern one.

While finding pics on the internet seems harder than I expected and I don't feel like unscrewing my Finnbear to check, the L-57 and, I think, the L61R had the front action bolt screwing into the recoil lug.

Posts: 5117 | Location: Melbourne, Australia | Registered: 31 March 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ramrod340
posted Hide Post
Only Sako I remember was stocking either a 75 or 85 for the ex wife's uncle back around 1999. I've slept way to many times to remember what it looked like.

As usual just my $.02
Paul K

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ramrod340:
Well I picked up this stock simply to copy the left hand butt on a right hand M98 front. But thought since I had it might as well keep it as well. The action is a right hand based on the loading port and groove cut for a slide safety. The bottom says Sako 1010. Any educated guesses?

L473?? Looks like my Forrester will drop right in. Wink
Have a good one!!

Posts: 2361 | Location: KENAI, ALASKA | Registered: 10 November 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I believe it is either an M591 or L691 -- those used a bolted-on recoil lug whereas the earlier actions used an integral recoil lug which the action screw went directly into. This stock is made for an action screw which screws in aft of the recoil lug.

Measure the distance between the action screw holes to determine if it is for the shorter or longer action (from its proportions, I don't think it is for the S491, the action for .222 case heads.)

Posts: 13245 | Location: Henly, TX, USA | Registered: 04 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ramrod340
posted Hide Post
quote:
Measure the distance between the action screw holes to determine if it is for the shorter or longer action

7.75" front to rear screw centers. Just laying a ruler next to it.

As usual just my $.02
Paul K

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ramrod340:
quote:
Measure the distance between the action screw holes to determine if it is for the shorter or longer action

7.75" front to rear screw centers. Just laying a ruler next to it.

Then that would be the long action, the L691 (if my guess is right on the recoil lug.)

Posts: 13245 | Location: Henly, TX, USA | Registered: 04 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Appears to be a L series stock..That would be a L-961 magnum action?
L-571 standard action
L-461 is the 222, 223 action, so its not a fit.

your stock is a std. or magnum length, have to measure it to be sure.

The early models were the L-61, L-57 and L-46 and the main difference is the tang as far as stocking the gun, the other changes were in the bolt shourd, safety, and whatever but I think the stocks would be interchangeable??

the later Sakos were the A Series, A1, A2 and A3, and might not interchange stock wise, but your stock might be modified to fit, the main difference was the tang I think, bolt assembly, safety once again as the progressively screwed them up design wise. One would have to have the action and wood in hand to determine if modification was optional. At least I would want them in hand.

The stock is a pre turned stock and I'm always skeptical on pre turns as you can't put wood back on a stock! Roll Eyes

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 42176 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of igorrock
posted Hide Post
I'm quite sure that this stock is for L691 Magnum. Place for action recoil lug is very characteristic place to identify.

http://www.sako.fi/pdf/manuals/Sako591_691.pdf

Posts: 410 | Location: Finland | Registered: 31 March 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
The L691 action profile is identical whether the round is a "standard" (.30-06), or "magnum" (.338, .375, etc.) Your stock should fit any L691 but not an L61R, A-III, A-V or any of the Model 75 series.

one of us
Picture of ramrod340
posted Hide Post
quote:
The stock is a pre turned stock and I'm always skeptical on pre turns as you can't put wood back on a stock

Yep. It was a stock turned by a company now out of business. It got pitched on the cull pile due to flaws in the wood.

As I said I simply bought it for the left hand butt to copy, adjust and splice onto other patterns.

I agree 100% you can't put wood back. Nor would I advertise or use this as a L691 pattern or anything else without it actually being matched up to an action.

Thanks to everyone that has taken the time to try and address my curiosity.

As usual just my $.02
Paul K