New
Find
Notify
Tools

Why with a Ruger 416 Rigby?
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I just bought a new Ruger 416 Rigby because I understood from the forum that it didn't need what the CZs needed to shoot without the concern of stock splitting. Something to the effect that the Ruger has the cross bolt and has the relief to prevent the splitting so by the time you buy the CZ and do the modifications, you'll be closer to the cost of the Ruger..... I just recently read a post where a Ruger got some stock damage. Sooooo, what does need to be done to ensure stock survival under standard shooting conditions? Why doesn't Ruger do the needed modifications in-house and just add the $ $ to the cost? Thought I was paying a premium for increased quality...

Posts: 68 | Location: Michigan | Registered: 02 January 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Although I don't own one I will say that every ruger I have seen has been overbuilt. I do not think that the instance you heard about was indicative of a problem with the design and manufacture overall, but of that particular rifle.

Take a look at the rifle, isn't it double crossbolted and it has a barrel mounted recoil lug right? (if I remember article on them correctly). Take it apart and make sure there is nothing fit wrong that can put undue stress on the stock when firing. I have a 264 that I bought used and they had not inlet correctly and the trigger housing was in contact with the wood in between itself and the mag box, and the box was tight on the front side of that. Ended up splitting there. (you should have a crossbolt through that area, just illustrating how fitting can cause problem).

Is it beded? maybe some light bedding material in there if it needs it.

My bet is you'll be all right. the other stock could have had a probelm in the wood, something installed wrong, who knows. (do you have a link to thread on it?)

Red

Posts: 4740 | Location: Fresno, CA | Registered: 21 March 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
https://forums.accuratereloading.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/4711043/m/432104052

Just a little discouraged to see the damage and to think that I'll have to possibly deal with it.

Posts: 68 | Location: Michigan | Registered: 02 January 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Brad Starcevich
posted Hide Post
Kazoo - I purchased a Ruger RSM in 458 Lott a while back. I've shot a couple hundred rounds throught it (medium - full) loads, with no problem. I looked at all the rifles before I decided on the Ruger. It is, in my not so humble opinion, an extremely robust and finely finished rifle, a bargain at the asking price. If I were you, I'd shoot the gun and enjoy it. In the unlikely event you have a problem with it, Ruger will stand behind it. Best, Starcharvski.

Posts: 135 | Location: St. Charles, IL USA | Registered: 17 February 2005Reply With Quote
<allen day>
posted
Brad, I agree with you. One of my friends recently bought a Ruger .416 Rigby and brought it over so I could look at it. Im not as big on the Ruger action as I am a Model 70 or commercial Mauser 98, but there's no question that the Ruger rifle, as a whole, in .416 Rigby (or .375 H&h or .458 Lott) represents a pretty incredible bargain in this day and age.

The Ruger is much, much better-finished than the CZ (which to me is a very crude rifle), features a better stock or better wood, better open sights, an integral quarter-rib of all things, plus, there are excellent options for detachable scope mounts and replacment front sights available as aftermarket items.

Many of these Rugers seems to shoot really well, and about the only thing i'd do to one for starters is get rid of that thin, brick-hard black recoil pad and have a red Pachmayr Old English Decelerator installed.

AD

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Allen, We're on the same page. The Ruger magnum rifle was a pet project of W.P. Ruger. It was modeled after a classic Griffin & Howe Bolt rifle in his personal collection. The CZs are crude by comparison. I do think I will change my recoil pad however.
Best, Starcharvski.

Posts: 135 | Location: St. Charles, IL USA | Registered: 17 February 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I just put a limb saver pad on mine, and shot it. I would always check to make sure that there was some space behind the tang, as well as on the Rugers with the angled screw, they often need tightened after the initial few shots. I suspect this is why some have cracked. I've had to tighten up the front screw on 7x57 Rugers after 10-15 shots, so I always check them after a few shots. My .416 has had about 250 shots through it this year, it's a heck of a rifle for the money, and mine has a beautiful piece of wood.

A shot not taken is always a miss

Posts: 2788 | Location: gallatin, mo usa | Registered: 10 March 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks, jstevens, I will check the screws on my rifle. It makes sense that the problem could be the result of the angled screws loosening. I've very please with the quality of wood on my RSM as well.
Best, Starcharvski.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Posted by allen day,

quote:
Brad, I agree with you. One of my friends recently bought a Ruger .416 Rigby and brought it over so I could look at it. Im not as big on the Ruger action as I am a Model 70 or commercial Mauser 98, but there's no question that the Ruger rifle, as a whole, in .416 Rigby (or .375 H&h or .458 Lott) represents a pretty incredible bargain in this day and age.

The Ruger is much, much better-finished than the CZ (which to me is a very crude rifle), features a better stock or better wood, better open sights, an integral quarter-rib of all things, plus, there are excellent options for detachable scope mounts and replacment front sights available as aftermarket items.

Amen to that Allen, I can't say enough good about my RSM. I do think it's a helluva deal in one package.

.22 LR Ruger M77/22
30-06 Ruger M77/MkII
.375 H&H Ruger RSM

Posts: 863 | Location: Mtns of the Desert Southwest, USA | Registered: 26 February 2004Reply With Quote