Find
Notify
Tools

Model 700 conversion
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Magnum61
posted
I read through some old posts and I didn't really find an answer to my question.

I have a Remington 700 BDL SS "DM", detachable magazine, and I want to buy a new stock with an aluminum bed and convert it to a hinged floor plate.

How easy is this to do and to acquire the needed parts?

Or should I try to fab the notches for the "DM" in the new stock?

-Everybody has a dream hunt, mine just happens to be for a Moose.-

-The 30-06 is like a perfect steak next to a campfire, a .300 Win Mag is the same but with mushrooms and a baked potato-

Posts: 277 | Location: Washington State | Registered: 08 April 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Brownells should have all you need. I would suspect a new magbox and floorplate and follower would be it,..but I am not familiar with the stock design and don't know if that is different.

Difficulty is inevitable
Misery is optional

Posts: 1496 | Location: behind the crosshairs | Registered: 01 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Magnum61,

You’ll need a new triggerguard/mag box/spring/follower, and all those parts are easily obtained either direct from Remington or from any of the parts houses like Brownells or Midway.

If you want a steel triggerguard it’s gonna cost you a bit more for an aftermarket model like a Williams, Badger, Sunny Hill, DD Ross, etc.

Posts: 4574 | Location: Valencia, California | Registered: 16 March 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
i don't believe this is an easy conversion. if my memory is correct, there are no feed rails, per say, on a dm action. that function is handled by the magazine.

Posts: 981 | Location: Shenandoah Valley VA | Registered: 05 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
max is correct! You cannot convert the DBM to BDL. It don't work because the action in the feed area is machined differently.

Jim Kobe
10841 Oxborough Ave So
Bloomington MN 55437
Professional member American Custom Gunmakers Guild

Posts: 5523 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: 10 July 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Magnum61
posted Hide Post
I honestly looked at that the other day and I thought maybe the magazine shroud that goes in under the action might take care of this but probubly not now.

How are would it be to do a home "dremel" job to a new BDL stock to get it to fit to the DM.

It doesn't seem like it would more than just marking the trigger gurad out with a pencil and cutting the notches out.

Any opinions would be nice on this, thanks.

-The 30-06 is like a perfect steak next to a campfire, a .300 Win Mag is the same but with mushrooms and a baked potato-

Posts: 277 | Location: Washington State | Registered: 08 April 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Magnum,

Sorry, brother...I was very wrong on this one, and the other guys were right. Never played with a DM and I figured the DM feature was a single stack that didn’t need any receiver modification...it isn’t.

Posts: 4574 | Location: Valencia, California | Registered: 16 March 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
i wouldn't use a dremel tool but a bdl stock can be easily adapted to a dm configuration. i have done that.

Posts: 981 | Location: Shenandoah Valley VA | Registered: 05 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I would sell trade it for an ction that was adl or bdl and then continue with your project. That is the fastest and cheapest way. I found out later I was wrong about the feed rails as well.

Difficulty is inevitable
Misery is optional

Posts: 1496 | Location: behind the crosshairs | Registered: 01 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Magnum61
posted Hide Post
What I want to do is basically get rid of the factory stock on it and get a Bell and Carlson or a HS precision stock from Cabelas with an aluminum bed/frame in it to stiffin the gun up with out dropping a lot of money but they don't offer a DM version.

That is the actual project, any suggestions?

one of us
posted Hide Post
I am not sure if the HS stock for their proprietary DM conversion would work or could be modified to do so. That is a tech svc phone call.

Other than that, the custom laminated stocks are also very rigid and could be inletted for the DM action and factory DM. Then, after piller bedding, you could have it painted in any camo you want, especially if you ordered the unfinished stock. That would provide the rigid platform you are trying to acheive, and the color is of your choosing as well.

Difficulty is inevitable
Misery is optional