THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM GUNSMITHING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Guns, Politics, Gunsmithing & Reloading  Hop To Forums  Gunsmithing    A Couple Jigs That I Use To Mount Scopes You can Make

Moderators: jeffeosso
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

A Couple Jigs That I Use To Mount Scopes You can Make
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of ted thorn
posted
This is a custom 50 cal MZLDR I have been working on nothing fancy but will work for demonstration.

The tools are the long plumb bob tool I use to allign the front ring with the rifles center line. The others are trivial except the power lapp tool.

Putting the rifle in a vice I first level the ring top

This puts the rifle level with the black grid lines on the wall. I use these to square the cross hairs later.

This is the jig that I use to allign the front ring to the bore centerline. It is a long length of 1" CRS drilled and tapped for a hollow 1/4 20 set screw into a nylon line and a brass plumb bob is inserted

Here you can see the front is now on bore centerline

The pointed rear of the long centerline jig makes checking in the rear easy also.

Then align the rear ring with the front I like to use the flat ends of my point jigs as this gives me far more eyeball area

Then lap the rings in with a drill and 220 compound

The lap is just 1" CRS with a groove I cut to hold the lapping compound drilled and tapped 3/8 16 with a long drill shank I made from welding a bolt to drillrod.

I then clean up the rings,oil the inside and drop in the scope aligning the scope with the level grid on the far wall. Tourqe up screws to german specifications (Goodantight) and your done.

Posts: 7361 | Location: South East Missouri | Registered: 23 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of 303Guy
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the pics - clever! But how on earth do you keep your workshop so neat and tidy? Big Grin

Regards
303Guy

Posts: 2518 | Location: New Zealand | Registered: 02 October 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the pics showing your way to skin a cat. That is what this board is about-gunsmithing. Good to see some different ideas!

Posts: 2509 | Location: Kisatchie National Forest, LA | Registered: 20 October 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of 303Guy
posted Hide Post
About this 'trick' of lapping the scope rings, (which I think is an excellent idea!)
I have this theory that a stressed scoped (or any other component), could cause inconsistencies (which translates into inaccuracy). Yet I see most scope mounts pretty well 'skew'. Does it actually make much difference?

Regards
303Guy

Posts: 2518 | Location: New Zealand | Registered: 02 October 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I can make scope mounts from scratch.
I can make gunsmithing jigs from scratch.
But I can's make my shop stay that clean.

What? Did you just move in a bigger shop?
Is the mess behind the camera?

Posts: 9043 | Location: on the rock | Registered: 16 July 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Big Earl
posted Hide Post
Ted, thanks for sharing, fine ideas. I do have to agree with the others that your shop is way too clean to be at it’s best. Here is a pic of my bench, complete with forced child labor.

Posts: 364 | Location: Sticks, Indiana | Registered: 03 July 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ted thorn
posted Hide Post
My junk is just kinda brushed out of th way just for the pics. It is my new 1200 sq. shop.

Posts: 7361 | Location: South East Missouri | Registered: 23 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Ted,
Where did you buy those neat plastic vise jaw inserts with the "V"-groove in them?

Posts: 386 | Location: Oshawa, Ontario, Canada | Registered: 01 February 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ted thorn
posted Hide Post
They are wilton brand name rubber jaws from Home Depot

One of Us
Picture of 303Guy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Here is a pic of my bench, complete with forced child labor.

Love it! thumb

I have a picture of my little guy at that age with that expression! Great memories! Smiler

He'll be ready to shoot soon - best start him off with a 223! (- from a rest).Wink

Regards
303Guy

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Rubber Jaws or Urethane Jaws ?.

Posts: 4485 | Location: Planet Earth | Registered: 17 October 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ted thorn
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Doc224/375:
Rubber Jaws or Urethane Jaws ?.

Uhhhh....yellow jaws thumb

One of Us
Picture of Big Earl
posted Hide Post
Ted, 1200 square foot? WOW! I am envious! I just moved into my 200 square foot shop and ran out of room before I got half my tools in. You are one lucky guy.

303guy, yep, these are the good years for kids to yearn . That stock he was working on in the pic is now just a twig of a piece of wood. I had to edit the pic or you would see him without pants and standing on a rickety old stool.

Posts: 364 | Location: Sticks, Indiana | Registered: 03 July 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of 303Guy
posted Hide Post
quote:
I had to edit the pic or you would see him without pants and standing on a rickety old stool.
Oh yes. That sounds just like my kid! Big Grin Big Grin

One day I came home, unloaded my 44mag single action, laid it and the rounds on my bed, turned away to open my safe and when I turned back this little guy was busy loading the cartridges into the gun! (It was amazing but scary! A wake up call to me). About that age too!

Regards
303Guy