New
Find
Notify
Tools

Fire damage question
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Is there a way to tell if a firearm was damaged beyond use in a house fire? The rife was in a gun safe (my brother doesn't remember the rating) The wood rifle stock and receiver shows no damage, the only evidence is the spotting/freckling on the barrel where the bluing came off. When the rifle was wiped down with an oily rag there are white spots freckled where the bluing came off.
Thanks

one of us
posted Hide Post
If the wood is unaffected it is unlikely the temp got high enough to alter metal temper. Smoke is highly corrosive and will rust any metal it comes into contact with. That will destroy bluing and results in white spots when wiped down. You may want to disassemble and oil the insides too.

Bob
www.rustblue.com

Posts: 3713 | Location: SC,USA | Registered: 07 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
Plus, a good test for the metal is the springs; if they still work, then the surrounding metal did not get above about 500 degrees, so it is still good. In your case, there will be no damage.

Posts: 17181 | Location: USA | Registered: 02 August 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
This was what I was hoping to hear. The rifle in question belongs to my brother but it was one of the guns passed down by my father.
It is a bolt gun and still functions properly. I was mainly concerned about the integrity of the action/barrel. Looks like a quality re-blue will put it back in shape.
Thanks for the replies.

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by dpcd:
Plus, a good test for the metal is the springs; if they still work, then the surrounding metal did not get above about 500 degrees, so it is still good. In your case, there will be no damage.

What temp does an action have to get to before the temper is compromised? Wouldn't small parts such as springs lose their temper much quicker than the action and bolt would ? I seen an action that had been brought into a local gun shop. The blueing was still on the action but the owner claimed the springs were soft and wanted all new springs installed along with a new barrel. Win 70 action if that makes a difference.

Posts: 2437 | Location: manitoba canada | Registered: 01 March 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
That is what I said; the springs will soften way before the receiver and barrel are harmed. BUT, once that point is reached, then you don't know how hot it really got. Of course, the receiver can take far more than the springs, and the barrel can take more than that. But since there is no way to tell, I just tell people to use the springs as a gauge; if they still work, the gun is fine. If not, it isn't. Now, in your case, perhaps the receiver and bolt are still good. Perhaps not. Do a hardness test and see.

Posts: 17181 | Location: USA | Registered: 02 August 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Wood self-ignites at around 500-550F, springs are tempered at 600F+...

Unless you have a lump of charcoal for stock, I don't think you need to worry! Big Grin

Philip

Posts: 1252 | Location: East Africa | Registered: 14 November 2006Reply With Quote