Find
Notify
Tools

Barrel reboring
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of z1r
posted
I'm looking for recommendations for people that rebore. Only one I know of is Danny Pedersen in Prescott.

Aut vincere aut mori

Posts: 4864 | Location: Lakewood, CO | Registered: 07 February 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Jim White
posted Hide Post
Al Siegrist in Michigan still does it but I don't know his contact info. Maybe one of the Michiganders will chime in. Jim

99% of the democrats give the rest a bad name.

"O" = zero

NRA life member

Posts: 730 | Location: Prescott, AZ | Registered: 07 February 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Redmans Rifling and Reboring
189 Nichols
Omak, WA 98841
(509) 826-5512
SASE for info

Haven't used them yet...

Posts: 360 | Location: PA | Registered: 29 September 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Jim Dubell has taken over LaBounty Precision Reboring and has been trained by Cliff to do the work. You can reach him at 509 684 5855

Chic Worthing
"Life is Too Short To Hunt With An Ugly Gun"
http://webpages.charter.net/cworthing/

Posts: 4917 | Location: Wenatchee, WA, USA | Registered: 17 December 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of z1r
posted Hide Post
Thanks gents. Thanks for the phone # Chic!

While were on the subject of barrels, a friend would like an old Suhl style barrel, half round, half octagon with integral rib, know anyone that can do that?

Aut vincere aut mori

Posts: 4864 | Location: Lakewood, CO | Registered: 07 February 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Butch Searcy does them on a CNC machine. It has been some time but the price was around 1500 but that was with a quarter rib. With the full length rib the "round" portion can not be cut round of course. It has to be cut on a mill with faces having small angles like 5 degrees or less between them and then the corners are removed by hand filing and it becomes round. Very labor intensive. You have to start with a very large blank to get all thie integral features you want. Then you have to pay for all that metal to end up on the floor of the shop.

Chic Worthing

Posts: 4917 | Location: Wenatchee, WA, USA | Registered: 17 December 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of z1r
posted Hide Post
Thanks Chic, I'll pass that on. He is fully aware that it will be expensive. That was the first thing I said, lol. I appreciate the info.

Aut vincere aut mori

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Mark Stratton can also do a barrel like that for you. I should have suggested him first. He also has CNC "stuff".

Chic Worthing

one of us
Picture of z1r
posted Hide Post
I already refered him to Mark but was under the impression that Mark was no longer doing gun work.

I suppose that his agreeing to teach classes should have been my first clue that he was working on guns again.

Thanks again.

-Mike

Aut vincere aut mori

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by DeBee:
Redmans Rifling and Reboring
189 Nichols
Omak, WA 98841
(509) 826-5512
SASE for info

Haven't used them yet...
I used Redman's in the past as did a friend. No problem. At that time he didn't do the rechambering, just the foring and rifling.

Posts: 1700 | Location: USA | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
You know, CNC is wonderful if your going to make a 1000 parts. If your going to make just one part, it might be easier to use a manual machine. With CNC, you need a CAD (computer aided design) part file, then you use a CAM (computer aided manufacturing) to create the cutter paths and then you combine these paths into a program for cutting your part. This takes time and for 1 part it very expensive.

Unless you know 999 other people who want the same part you will need to dig deep into your pocket book.

I'm up to my ears in work right now and I don't have the time for a project like this. When Mauser made these barrels a 100 years ago, they had a product line to support and could have a machine shop tooled for this barrel. Today I would have to recreate most of the jigs and fixtures for this product and at $75 per hour it would be very expensive.

By the way, I'm only teaching for 2 weeks a year, trust me the pay isn't that good.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Yeah Mark but the Dorm food is soooooooooo good. BTW, are you back on your own room/food/travel arangement? I assumed when he sought you out, that you had a bit of leverage.

Chic Worthing