New
Find
Notify
Tools

messed up, need help w/Savage 112
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Broke the old rule of one powder on the bench and managed to load a few rounds for my Savage 112 in .270 that loves 150 grain pills with 56 grains of Varget instead of 56 grains of H4831. I did live to tell about it as you can see. Bolt was difficult to open but did not require a hammer ( damn near ), extractor was blown off the bolt, primer pocket was about 25% larger than when I started. Yes I did hit the target; yes I learned my lesson.

Now how can I tell if the gun is safe to shoot again? Honestly I paid $250 for this gun a few years ago and I should probably just take the band saw to it and be done with it, but it shoots ragged holes with 150 grain Ballitic tips and Hornady Interlocks and I'm a sucker for rifles that shoot.

Anyone know a gunsmith with Savage experience that you would recommned I send it to? Any advice welcome.

Thanks,

ned

it's a fresh wind that ... Blows Against the Empire

Posts: 225 | Location: houston, tx | Registered: 04 February 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Westpac
posted Hide Post
Any working gunsmith should be able to check it out for you. Find one in your area.

Posts: 3171 | Location: SLC, Utah | Registered: 23 February 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Ned,

I wouldn't hesitate to contact Savage directly with your dilema but aside from the manufacturer, if you want Savage service, Fred Mareo is the Man!

http://www.sharpshootersupply.com/

Cheers,

Number 10

Posts: 3433 | Location: Frankfurt, Germany | Registered: 23 December 2004Reply With Quote