Find
Notify
Tools

Model 70 Safari/Leupold scope problem
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Howdy there,

I have a Model 70 Safari in 375 H&H with Leupold QR bases and rings and a Leupold VX1 2-7 mounted on it. When I tried to do the initial site in, I found that I couldn't get it accomplished...was about 10" low at 25 yards and I ran out of elevation adjustment.

I shimmed the rear base 0.024", which put me right on the money on my next sight in attempt, but shimming the rear base that much put the scope in a bind and the power selector ring is very difficult to rotate.

Leupold said they had several complaints exactly like this and gave me the name of a feller at Winchester to contact. He was also aware of the problem and instructed me to send it in, along with the bases.

So, if I send this rifle back, will they remachine the receiver or put a new one on? I know this one functions and feeds as it should, and I seem to remember reading here that that was another problem on these rifles...

Essentailly, should send the rifle back to Winchester and risk getting a replacement rifle of lesser quality, or figure out another way to mount this scope with quick detach mounts.

I will be taking this rifle to Africa in a year, so it needs to get fixed before it ruins a hunt.

Any advice?

Posts: 426 | Location: Alpine, WY | Registered: 01 November 2002Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Either switch to Burris Signature rings ands STD bases, or change over to Talley rings and bases. They can take care of the problem by use of a base customized for that action.

George

Posts: 14623 | Location: San Antonio, TX | Registered: 22 May 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of dSmith.45
posted Hide Post
I had this same problem with a M70 safari, same bases, and the Vari X III 1.75 -6. At Allen's suggestion I sent it to Mark Penrod who shaved down the front base to get it in target without the need for shimming the rear base. He also bedded the rifle and performed a trigger & safety job.

Posts: 359 | Location: 33N36'47", 96W24'48" | Registered: 01 December 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
dsmith45 ir probabley right, but what you have to do next after shaving off some material from the bottom of the front base, is mount the scope without the ring halves and see how it "looks". Next, I would glass bed the scope right to the rings. This will absolutely take care of any torque or stress with the scope/ring fit.

Posts: 5521 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: 10 July 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Trapdoor,
Have same problem with a couple of my Mod.70's. In my experience problem is that the rear bases from redfield and leupold are not high enough for level scope mounting. I'm confused as to why you think using a shim under the rear base puts the scope in a bind? This actually levels the rings and takes the stress off the scope tube. The scope tube may have been bent when you first mounted it without the shim. My solution was to shim the base on my 270, but on my 300 mag. I had the folks at tally machine down the front base .020" and this solved the problem. Gary

Posts: 49 | Location: Western Montana | Registered: 04 February 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of bowhuntrrl
posted Hide Post
Put on some Burris signature rings and buy the set of offset bushings. I now use these on al my new rifles.You can pick up about 20 MOA with these if I'm not mistaken. For about a $30 set of rings, you should be good to go!!

bowhuntr

Posts: 931 | Location: Somewhere....... | Registered: 07 October 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I had the same problem with my .375 and Talley bases and rings. I had the rear base ground down and that got my on target although I still couldn't get good groups. The I removed the scope and tried the irons. Even at maximum elevation I was still 6 inches low at 50 yards. At that point I had the gun sent back to Winchester. They replaced the barrel and the action both. Apparently they were mis-aligned.

Jeff

Posts: 784 | Location: Michigan | Registered: 18 December 2000Reply With Quote
<allen day>
posted
This sort of problem is more common that you'd think. Factory receivers are often out of spec, and in a number of different ways. Many times scope base holes don't line up properly with the axis of the bore, receiver bridge and receiver ring dimensions are off, etc. I have found that factory receivers are usually far more out of spec than good factory scope bases, such as Leupold's.

I would NOT entrust your rifle to USRAC for correction. They will either ruin your current receiver, or else they'll scrap your rifle and send you an inferior replacement. The odds of coming out ahead by working with them is quite slim in my opinion.

To me shims and related band-aid fixs are expedient solutions that might-sorta get things working OK, but they are not the ideal solution, especially if you have some serious use in mind for this rifle.

The best solution for all the right reasons, and the one Dennis was referring to, is send your rifle to a quality private custom gunmaker, such as Jim or Mark Penrod. They'll be able to make an analysis of the problem, and makes suggestions for a proper fix. Factory scope bases can be remachined and altered, new bases can be made from scratch that are better than any factory base, and which will accomodate your choice of rings (fixed or detachable), mounting holes can be opened up to a bigger size for alignment purposes, etc, etc. The only disadvantage is cost, but if your rifle is a shooter and you like it, it's a good lifetime investment.

I've know Mark Penrod for over ten years, he's done good work for me, so I'll give you his number:

Penrod Precision
P.O. Box 307, 312 College Ave.
North Manchester, IN 46962
(260) 982-8385
(FAX) 982-1819

AD

One of Us
Picture of jorge
posted Hide Post
My vote is for the Penrod solution. The gent is an absolute craftsman and it'll be done right the first time. Also, just like dj said, you can have the trigger smoothed up and the action bedded. It only costs twice as much to go first class and if you're hunting Africa, frugality is not an option! jorge

Posts: 7149 | Location: Orange Park, Florida. USA | Registered: 22 March 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Steve
posted Hide Post
I had the exact same problem with Warne rings (had an integral peep site) on an old pre-64. I sent it to Mark and he got it straightened out. Had to go to Tally's but no regrets.

Mark is great. Allen turned me on to him a while back. Since then I've been recommending him to everyone I know. No complaints from me nor any of my referrals.

-Steve

Posts: 2781 | Location: Hillsboro, Or-Y-Gun (Oregon), U.S.A. | Registered: 22 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
winchester replaced a m700 super grade for me and the customer rep went into the warehouse and found the best stock for me.. it is really nice..

Posts: 1125 | Location: near atlanta,ga,usa | Registered: 26 September 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I spoke with Gary at Talley and he is sending me bases and rings that he knows are 100% to Winchester specs. This will be a starting point to determine whether my Leupold bases are way off, if my receiver is whacked out, or if the barrel is mounted pointing down. I can then determine which route to go.

On top of sending me the mounts, he didnt even charge me...said "If they work, pay me then." Darn nice fella too!

Thanks for the help...I have a starting point now. Depending on what I found out when the mounts get here, it may well have to go to Penrod...

Posts: 426 | Location: Alpine, WY | Registered: 01 November 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
had problem with a ziess illuminated dot 1x4 scope and missed a 70,000 us$ lion at 60 yards in south omey zimbabwe last year. both the ph and others gave their opinion "ziess no good" ok we discarded it and then got a sawarovski zxi 1.4x10 with leopold qd mounts. the winchester model 70 rifle shoots 2 ft down at 25 yards with scope in centere elevation position. maximum correction makes it 6 inches down at 60 yards.
what can we do after spending so much money on "trusted" brands!