New
Find
Notify
Tools

win pre 64 hornet
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Can this action be converted for a 243 win?

<JBelk>
posted
fox--

It COULD be but it would be a dirty shame to do it.

The bolt face would have to be machined larger, the bolt stop changed, the magazine changed, and the barrel replaced.

Since the 22 Hornet M-70 is fairly scarce and thence more expensive than the common 243 it would be MUCH better to trade it for a 243 and pocket the difference in cash.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Thanks JBELK
do you know how much worth it is? Condition: shoots ok. stock and metal need care.

one of us
posted Hide Post
You will have to relace the Hornet bolt with a 30-06 bolt. This is due to the cartidge pusher and the differnt dims for the extractor and face recess on the Hornet bolt. Then you have to change the complete magazine box for the 243. Also the ejector and extractor collor and stop. Now you are ready to rebarrel to 243. Overall with the rareness of M70 Hornets that have not been altered, leave it alone and buy another gun.
Jim Wisner.

Posts: 1484 | Location: Chehalis, Washington | Registered: 02 April 2003Reply With Quote
<JBelk>
posted
fox---

In the US the Hornet M-70s are worth about 15% more than the same condition rifle in a more standard caliber.

The Hornet M-70 was introduced in 1936 and discontinued in 1952. There were only 3390 pre-war Hornets made.

one of us
posted Hide Post
It's good to see J Wisner become a member here. I offer my welcome.

I think a Hornet in a old M 70 is "worth" a lot more than 15% over say a standard such as an 06.

Unless it's really messed up it goes right into the collectors caluculations in that caliber. The fact that it's in Iceland may not make this market available however.

Posts: 5543 | Registered: 09 December 2002Reply With Quote