New
Find
Notify
Tools

Convert 7mm Rem Mag to 338-06?
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
What, if any, problems would I run into having a 7 mag rebarrelled into a 338-06? Bolt face, feed rails, anything?

I'll trust a gunsmith (probably Shilen, since he's just down the road) to do the rebarrel, but I wanted to see if this is do-able or not before I bothered him.

Oh, and since this is a Savage action (a 1960's J action) would it be possible just to get a switch barrel from SharpShooter or someone (that is, if the 'guts' were the same)and do it myself, using headspace gauges of course?

Posts: 470 | Location: Mountains of Southern New Mexico | Registered: 24 December 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of z1r
posted Hide Post
Your best bet is to go with the .338 Win Mag. Your bolt face is too big for the -06 based cartridge.

Posts: 4863 | Location: Lakewood, CO | Registered: 07 February 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Why the 338-06? I'm no expert but I think a 7rem mag to 338 win mag would take less work. As far as I can tell the 7mm rem mag and the 338 win mag are built off the same case.

Jamie

Posts: 109 | Location: Washington | Registered: 18 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
PD-

Unless you're dead set on doing it, I see two much more workable options...

Build a 338 Win Mag on your magnum action, or trade your action for a 30-06/270/280/etc action and build the 338-06.

Just WAY too much time, effort, and money that you'll need to spend to make your action work with the 338-06.

BTW, I *do* like your choice of calibers. I was shooting mine just a few days ago. It's just that it's not gonna work on your present action...

one of us
posted Hide Post
I am not that familiar with Savages, however, you will have to change the bolt and the side rails or cartridge containment system on your rifle to accommodate the smaller 06 case.

If you want to go to a .308 diameter, the easiest shift is to the 30-338 (which is the same as a 30-7mmRemMag). This is an excellent wildcat cartridge, very accurate and easy to make. You could have your existing barrel rebored.

If I were going to a 06 based larger bullet cartridge, I'd step all the way up to the 9.3X62 which is a factory loaded .366 caliber. It will do everything a 338-06 will and then some. Lots of bullets available for it to handload at its useable velocities too. Ku-dude

Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
It would be easier/cheaper/faster to sell the 7 mag and get a new (and better) savage in 338 win...

and while it CAN be done, mag to /06 case, it's not worth the trouble.

jeffe

Posts: 39669 | Location: Conroe, TX | Registered: 01 June 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Fjold
posted Hide Post
For a Savage, you can buy a replacement bolt head in .473 that will go right on the bolt that you have. Change that and then buy a pre-chambered barrel and screw it right on. The 110's feed directly from the magazine so you don't have to worry about the rails, you will just have to change magazines.

Posts: 12700 | Location: Kentucky, USA | Registered: 30 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the input, guys.

Yep, I'm thinking the conversion to .338 Win Mag is prob the easiest to do. I already have a .375 and a 7mm-08 so this would fit well. I had wanted to do the 338-06AI for a number of reasons.

Fjold, I'm going to call Sharp Shooter's and talk to them about it, too.

It's not really possible to sell/trade for a completed rifle. I'm looking at an old Anschutz/Savage made in the 60's. I have one already and would love to have one in a little larger caliber.

Again, thanks for the help!

Posts: 470 | Location: Mountains of Southern New Mexico | Registered: 24 December 2003Reply With Quote