New
Find
Notify
Tools

marking a barrel
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Lately I've seen a few pictures of barrels or receivers that had fancy lettering and/or graphics cut into them; one said ".219 Donaldson Wasp" with a picture of a wasp on the barrel.

How is this done? I imagine with the correct setup you could do it on a 4 axis CNC, but I was wondering if it was something simpler, like a laser or even painting on a resistive layer, scratching through, and using acid.

Posts: 45 | Location: Central Arkansas | Registered: 05 October 2009Reply With Quote

Picture of Mark
posted Hide Post
Try either a trophy store or a store that sells and engraves pens.

I hadn't heard about the graphic part, that sound like it could have some potential under the right circumstances.

for every hour in front of the computer you should have 3 hours outside

Posts: 7774 | Location: Between 2 rivers, Middle USA | Registered: 19 August 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
there sre a few machines used in the trophy and jewlery business that might work. Some models of the Hermes engraver might work.

Jim

Posts: 1210 | Location: Memphis, TN | Registered: 25 January 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I use an Electro-Chemical etching unit from "Marking Methods Inc."
Custom stencils can be designed and purchased, through them, and throw away stencils can be made on a typewriter. (If anyone still has one)

NRA Patron Life Member Benefactor Level

Posts: 1283 | Registered: 15 December 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
typewriter

A what?

Posts: 16534 | Location: Between my computer and the head... | Registered: 03 March 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ramrod340
posted Hide Post
Not sure what Too Manytools uses but his barrel marking is first class. thumb

As usual just my $.02
Paul K

Posts: 12881 | Location: Mexico, MO | Registered: 02 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of D Humbarger
posted Hide Post
DocEd how mush does the Mark 300 cost? I can't find a price.

Doug Humbarger
NRA Life member
Tonkin Gulf Yacht Club 72'73.
Yankee Station

Try to look unimportant. Your enemy might be low on ammo.

Posts: 8350 | Location: Jennings Louisiana, Arkansas by way of Alabama by way of South Carloina by way of County Antrim Irland by way of Lanarkshire Scotland. | Registered: 02 November 2001Reply With Quote