Notify
Tools

New reamer not cutting very well !
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of ShortandFat
posted
Gentlemen

A few weeks ago I brought a 416 Ruger reamer from PTG.

I sent my 416 Taylor to the local gunsmith to get the barrel shortened, fluted and recut the chamber to 416 Ruger. My Uncle also did his aswell

The gunsmith could only get 2 cuts out of the reamer and informed me it would need sharpening before he used it again.

He told me he did everything he normally does, it was just very, very diffcult to cut the new chamber.

MY question is:

Do you think the reamer was infact poor quality or already blunt ?

My 416 Taylor had fired a couple of hundred rounds, some quite HOT. Is it possible the high pressure and temperatures generated over the last few years have OVER hardened the metal around the old Taylor chamber ?

Any other explaination ?

regards
S&F

Posts: 463 | Location: Victoria, Australia | Registered: 26 September 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have had 2 brand-new reamers that actually were apparently TOO sharp. A PTG one in 45-90 belonged to Green Mountsin Bbl Co and began to squeak and chatter during the first chambering operation. I emailed Rick Sanborn and he told me, since it was brand new and was probably too sharp, that I could VERY, VERY LIGHTLY stone the cutting edges of the flutes; I did, and it cut beautifully after that with no squeak and no chatter.

IMO it isn't possible that your chamber steel became harder, no way Jose. IIWY I'd send the reamer back to PTG for Dave's evaluation.
Regards, Joe

Posts: 2756 | Location: deep South | Registered: 09 December 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of gunmaker
posted Hide Post
What brand of barrel was it?

Stainless Steel?

It's possible your smith fired up the lathe in reverse. Quick way to trash a reamer.

What's your avatar supposed to be?

gunmaker
------------------
James Anderson Metalsmith & Stockmaker
WEB SITE

More Pics on FLICKR

Posts: 1860 | Location: Western South Dakota | Registered: 05 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of kcstott
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by J.D.Steele:
I have had 2 brand-new reamers that actually were apparently TOO sharp. A PTG one in 45-90 belonged to Green Mountsin Bbl Co and began to squeak and chatter during the first chambering operation. I emailed Rick Sanborn and he told me, since it was brand new and was probably too sharp, that I could VERY, VERY LIGHTLY stone the cutting edges of the flutes; I did, and it cut beautifully after that with no squeak and no chatter.

IMO it isn't possible that your chamber steel became harder, no way Jose. IIWY I'd send the reamer back to PTG for Dave's evaluation.
Regards, Joe

I believe you're correct
You can also take the ultra sharp edge off by dragging a penny down each edge although a light stoning would work as well just remember you are just trying to knock a wee bit of the edge nothing more.
FYI Used chambers can become harder but by the time they do become work hardened the bore is trash as well

And A style is a Italian Fashion line

www.KLStottlemyer.com

Deport the Homeless and Give the Illegals citizenship. AT LEAST THE ILLEGALS WILL WORK

Posts: 2534 | Location: National City CA | Registered: 15 December 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Westpac
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by kcstott:
And A style is a Italian Fashion line

That's funny, it looks like dog style to me! Big Grin

Posts: 3171 | Location: SLC, Utah | Registered: 23 February 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of kcstott
posted Hide Post
That just might be what they are getting at.
High fashion, high prices, Bend over

www.KLStottlemyer.com

Deport the Homeless and Give the Illegals citizenship. AT LEAST THE ILLEGALS WILL WORK

Posts: 2534 | Location: National City CA | Registered: 15 December 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Alberta Canuck
posted Hide Post
You guys are probably right about the reamer.

One other thing I wonder about....some of the 700-series stainless steel in barrels turned out by Blackstar a few years ago can be very tough on reamers if cut at the wrong feeds & speeds. Is it possible he had a couple of those and didn't know it...and the gunsmith didn't know about that 700-series stuff and how to cut it?

My country gal's just a moonshiner's daughter, but I love her still.

Posts: 9685 | Location: Cave Creek 85331, USA | Registered: 17 August 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of gunmaker
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Alberta Canuck:

Was that a pun? homer

gunmaker
------------------
WEB SITE

More Pics on FLICKR

Posts: 1860 | Location: Western South Dakota | Registered: 05 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of gunmaker
posted Hide Post
The Blackstar barrels were made my Walther. The stainless ones were much more difficult to chamber than a CMoly. The prechambered barrels from Walther have, for lack of a better term, a coined or burnished finish in the chamber. This would make sticking a new reamer in the chamber an expensive gamble.

Is it also possible that the bore was chromed??? bewildered

Doesn't seem likely on a boomer, but stranger things have happened.

gunmaker
------------------
WEB SITE

More Pics on FLICKR

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Most of you probably already know the fix for the chatter..just wrap a piece of note paper around the reamer...

Posts: 2221 | Location: Tacoma, WA | Registered: 31 October 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Wax paper works great also if it is still sold.
Butch

Posts: 8964 | Location: Poetry, Texas | Registered: 28 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Westpac
posted Hide Post
Slightly changing (reducing) the lead angle on the shoulder portion of the reamer will take care of chatter too.

Posts: 3171 | Location: SLC, Utah | Registered: 23 February 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Alberta Canuck
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by butchlambert:
Wax paper works great also if it is still sold.
Butch

I don't know about down there in southern Oklahoma/northern Mexico sofa, Butch, but it is still available here in the land of perpetual swamp. Cut-rite brand is still sold in every major grocery chain.Wink patriot

My country gal's just a moonshiner's daughter, but I love her still.

Posts: 9685 | Location: Cave Creek 85331, USA | Registered: 17 August 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of James Kain
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Alberta Canuck:

One other thing I wonder about....some of the 700-series stainless steel in barrels turned out by Blackstar a few years ago can be very tough on reamers if cut at the wrong feeds & speeds. Is it possible he had a couple of those and didn't know it...and the gunsmith didn't know about that 700-series stuff and how to cut it?

I agree, I was reading along and was wondering about his feed/speed. Seen someone burn out normal drill bits doing that, let alone reamers! It can be quite amusing watching someone try and use a dull reamer! Or better yet watching them trash a new one.
Almost requires popcorn when watching it, if its not your bit.
popcorn

Let us know if and when the problem is solved. I m quite interested in finding out the results.

Disabled Vet(non-combat) - US Army
NRA LIFE MEMBER
Hunter, trapper, machinest, gamer, angler, and all around do it your selfer.
Build my own CNC router from scratch. I installed the hight wrong. My hight moves but the rails blocks 3/4 of the hight.....

Posts: 934 | Location: North Anson Maine USA | Registered: 27 October 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of kcstott
posted Hide Post
That's one reason Gunsmiths should have some machine tool education either formal or under the wings of a good toolmaker.
Knowing tool geometry is a big part of being a machinist. Rake angle, primary and secondary relief angles, Nose radius. Not top mention what the tool is made from i.e HSS, 5% cobalt, Carbide what have you. A good tool maker will know what to do almost instantly when they see, feel, or hear something amiss. A drill press monkey will just keep on pushing till the drill turns blue and the oil goes black.
Keep in mind my definition of a machinist is an old school type tool maker The same way i was trained. Not one of these CNC machine operators which is nothing more then a glorified button pusher

www.KLStottlemyer.com

One of Us
Picture of James Kain
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by kcstott:
That's one reason Gunsmiths should have some machine tool education either formal or under the wings of a good toolmaker.
Knowing tool geometry is a big part of being a machinist. Rake angle, primary and secondary relief angles, Nose radius. Not top mention what the tool is made from i.e HSS, 5% cobalt, Carbide what have you. A good tool maker will know what to do almost instantly when they see, feel, or hear something amiss. A drill press monkey will just keep on pushing till the drill turns blue and the oil goes black.
Keep in mind my definition of a machinist is an old school type tool maker The same way i was trained. Not one of these CNC machine operators which is nothing more then a glorified button pusher

Right now I am under the wing of Steve Davis. He is the machinist instructor at KVCC where I attend. We are will not be working on the C&C or AUTOCAD stuff until the last 2 semesters of the program. I will be doing my work study with a gun smith not far from here.
Precision Machining Technology

Disabled Vet(non-combat) - US Army
NRA LIFE MEMBER
Hunter, trapper, machinest, gamer, angler, and all around do it your selfer.
Build my own CNC router from scratch. I installed the hight wrong. My hight moves but the rails blocks 3/4 of the hight.....

Posts: 934 | Location: North Anson Maine USA | Registered: 27 October 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of kcstott
posted Hide Post
That's the foundation I'm talking about. Learn to use the manual machines first then the CNC stuff if available. You are on the right path. Pick up as much as you can from the old timers they are a wealth of knowledge and skill.
Don't listen to people that are burnt out saying machining is a dying trade. They have just failed to adapt and learn new techniques. I've never been unemployed longer then about three weeks. The tools you buy are just as valuable as the one between your ears Machining is a good trade and a good machinist will AWAYS be in demand. I've been a machinist/tool maker and hobby gunsmith for near twenty years and I'm still learning and will continue to learn till I'm to weak to turn a handle. Then I'll sell my machines and crawl into the ground and die.

www.KLStottlemyer.com

One of Us
posted Hide Post
What Kerry said. I just wish I'd had sense enough to pay more attention to Bill Prator when I was at Trinidad.
Regards, Joe

Posts: 2756 | Location: deep South | Registered: 09 December 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I would question the gunsmith's ability first.
If the reamer sucked he should have been able to tell by looking at it. If he could not tell by looking at it he could have felt what was going on in the first 10 seconds.
If your barrel is stainless steel he might have work hardened it by not feeding fast enough. That would be his fault not the reamer.

Posts: 13978 | Location: http://www.tarawaontheweb.org/tarawa2.jpg | Registered: 03 December 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
PTG reamers usually cut much better at 120 rpm instead of the old standard 60-70 rpm.

First PTG reamer I ever tried to use acted like it was dull and was using too much torque at 60rpm. Called PTG and Dave told me to bump it up to approximately 120 rpm. It cut like butter.

Craftsman

Posts: 1545 | Location: North Texas | Registered: 11 February 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks, Craftsman, I liked his reamers before and am sure I'll like 'em even better now.
Regards, Joe

one of us
Picture of JBrown
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Craftsman:
PTG reamers usually cut much better at 120 rpm instead of the old standard 60-70 rpm.

First PTG reamer I ever tried to use acted like it was dull and was using too much torque at 60rpm. Called PTG and Dave told me to bump it up to approximately 120 rpm. It cut like butter.

I am no machinist, but why doesn't he supply an instruction sheet the explains that his reamers cut better at 120 rpm?

Jason

"You're not hard-core, unless you live hard-core."

Hunting in Africa is an adventure. The number of variables involved preclude the possibility of a perfect hunt. Some problems will arise. How you decide to handle them will determine how much you enjoy your hunt.

Just tell yourself, "it's all part of the adventure." Remember, if Robert Ruark had gotten upset every time problems with Harry
Selby's flat bed truck delayed the safari, Horn of the Hunter would have read like an indictment of Selby. But Ruark rolled with the punches, poured some gin, and enjoyed the adventure.

-Jason Brown

Posts: 6838 | Location: Nome, Alaska(formerly SW Wyoming) | Registered: 22 December 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have had one PTG reamer which was soft and was unable to cut a chamber with it. It was replaced with no questions asked by PTG. Another didn't cut well but at least stayed sharp. Honing fixed it. The only reamer maker from whom I never got a flawed one is Hugh Henriksen. Every reamer I got from him was perfect in every way. Regards, Bill.

Posts: 3765 | Location: Elko, B.C. Canada | Registered: 19 June 2000Reply With Quote