New
Find
Notify
Tools

Headspace
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Is there a way to check headspace if you don't have a go no-go gauge?

Posts: 48 | Location: Western Wa. | Registered: 22 September 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Yup, kind of. I use an RCBS PrecisionMic for each cailber I load. It allows you to calibrate the shoulder setback to set the case for whatever headspace you want.

Jaywalker

Posts: 1006 | Location: Texas | Registered: 30 December 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Or,

you can take a factory new piece of brass, insert it in the chamber, stick a .004 shim to the face of the bolt with a little dab of grease and see if the bolt will close. It's a low bucks method I admit, but it might give you an idea as to what you are working with.

Posts: 1374 | Registered: 06 November 2005Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Similar to what malm said, but cruder and cheaper, I might have been known to use a couple thicknesses of Scotch tape, stuck to the case head and trimmed around the edges of the rim. Each thickness is about 3 thousandths. If the bolt feels one thickness and doesn't want to close on two, then it's probably OK. Do it with a light touch.

I feel much better having acquired No-Go and Field gauges.

one of us
posted Hide Post
The previous two methods are likely better if you suspect headspace might be off or shooting a rifle for the first time. The RCBS Precision Mic works fine once you have fired brass from that action, and if you don't want to do that, it helps very little.

Jaywalker

Posts: 1006 | Location: Texas | Registered: 30 December 2003Reply With Quote