THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM GUNSMITHING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Guns, Politics, Gunsmithing & Reloading  Hop To Forums  Gunsmithing    Ugliest Factory Rifle Ever?.........................
Page 1 2 

Moderators: jeffeosso
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Ugliest Factory Rifle Ever?.........................
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted Hide Post
My father, who is a real man, told me in 1963, "When a guy gets a new gun he should drag it behind the truck for a mile so he can focus on hunting."

He was concerned that the finish on his new Remington 1100 was getting scratched. He was disgusted with his own concern.

Posts: 9043 | Location: on the rock | Registered: 16 July 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Like a lot of people, I size a gun up on it's looks fast- but my experience is I've shot a lot of ugly rifles that somehow got better looking.

Posts: 3314 | Location: NYC | Registered: 18 April 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Hunt-ducks
posted Hide Post
Reloader i'm with you if you want something purrtee buy a picture to hang on the wall, I want a rifle to shoot small groups, function everytime and feel good when I pick it up.

If your picking ugliest that benelli along with them T/C, Tikas and CZ are butt ugly.

Posts: 450 | Location: CA. | Registered: 15 May 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Fjold
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by tin can:
quote:
High on the list would be the Remington 788

bite your tongue.

LOL, I own a lefty 788 and would never sell it but it is ugly.

Frank

"I don't know what there is about buffalo that frightens me so.....He looks like he hates you personally. He looks like you owe him money."
- Robert Ruark, Horn of the Hunter, 1953

NRA Life, SAF Life, CRPA Life, DRSS lite

Posts: 12695 | Location: Kentucky, USA | Registered: 30 December 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Like the Pastor of my church told me "A pretty women will get ugly to you if she does not treat you right and a ugly women will start looking good to you if she treats you right"

Same applies to guns Wink

Posts: 344 | Location: Elkin North Carolina USA | Registered: 12 March 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
mauser 66

Posts: 3986 | Location: in the tall grass "milling" around. | Registered: 09 December 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of b.martins
posted Hide Post
Sorry, but this one gets n.1 position on my "the most ugly guns list".

The ugliest one

Look under "CHALLENGE"

B.Martins

What every gun needs, apart from calibre, is a good shot and hunter behind it. - José Pardal

Posts: 538 | Location: Lisboa,Portugal | Registered: 16 August 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
how about the old remmy nylon 22, and if that isn't bad enough we can always go to the blaser (now i started something)

Posts: 13460 | Location: faribault mn | Registered: 16 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by lb404:
quote:
Originally posted by 22WRF:
it doesn't look too much worse that some of the early pre 64 Model 70 Winchesters!

You need some serious psychiatriac help my friend. Please get help now! I can't believe I am the only one that read your post and commented. lefty

Maybe you're the only one who felt it was deserving of a comment. Roll Eyes I just figured the guy was legally blind & didn't wanna hurt his feelings.

"You can lead a horticulture, ... but you can't make 'er think" Florida Gardener

Posts: 808 | Location: N. FL | Registered: 21 September 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Remington 660 Magnum with the plastic rib.
It may have been practical as a guide gun, but ugly it is.

John in Oregon

Posts: 938 | Location: Oregon | Registered: 23 November 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post

I still think these 2 make the old Remington 660 look svelte by comparison..................DJ

....Remember that this is all supposed to be for fun!..................

Posts: 3976 | Location: Oklahoma,USA | Registered: 27 February 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
This is what Mossberg thought a 22 should look like in the late 60's. It worked ok as long as you didn't get too far from a screwdriver and a new firing pin. With the other guys carrying a Browning auto and Ruger 10/22(they came with a walnut stock then), I was allowed along, but had to keep my distance.

Harry
"Some days the sun doesn't shine and the sky ain't blue" that is what the second barrel is for

DRSS
http://www.twinxblades.com/

Posts: 62 | Location: SE Georgia | Registered: 26 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of walksfar
posted Hide Post
The absolute worst, in my mind, that sticks out, is those cheap .22's you used to see at wal-mart, with the black plastic stock and white inlays or whatever it was. Hideous.

"Faith in God and the Mauser"

DRSS-MEMBER

Posts: 129 | Location: East Texas | Registered: 05 September 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Speaking of old and ugly....

Maybe some our older members recall the Winslow Rifle - tried to out-Weatherby the Weatherby.

Yuck!

I'll do a search and see if I can post a picture -might ruin your lunch though.

Posts: 345 | Location: Dauphin Island, Alabama, USA | Registered: 01 July 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of dempsey
posted Hide Post
That rifle was made for people who seldom shoot or hunt. They get a temporary bug to do so, go shopping at the local mart and pick it up because it looks snazzy to them. Butt ugly IMO. I think all synthetics are ugly so they get a pass.

Posts: 6205 | Location: Cascade, MT | Registered: 12 February 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by KSTEPHENS:
mauser 66

This stock is available in various grades of wood on line at eGun. Enter "Jagdschaft Mauser 66"
I ordered one and received it in remarkably quick time. Now I'm waiting to see how it looks on my Model 66. I could never bring myself to shoot it with the Weatherby style stock.

one of us
Picture of Matt Norman
posted Hide Post
I've had some 'pretty' guns that wouldn't function/shoot for shit. I have some 'ugly' guns that function/shoot great.

I can overlook a lot of ugly if a gun functions/shoots good.

Posts: 3277 | Location: Western Slope Colorado, USA | Registered: 17 August 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Here's one: https://www.savagearms.com/con...duct_summary&s=96915

Bolt handle that looks like a crack pipe. Star Wars breech. You can close the bolt out of battery! Should have copied the patent expired Remington 591/592.

Posts: 3780 | Location: SC,USA | Registered: 07 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Cougarz
posted Hide Post
Nothing like dredging up a twelve year old thread! Roll Eyes

Roger

*we band of 45-70ers*

Posts: 2811 | Location: Washington (wetside) | Registered: 08 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Cougarz:
Nothing like dredging up a twelve year old thread! Roll Eyes

were blasers around 12 years ago?

Posts: 1541 | Location: south of austin texas | Registered: 25 November 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Todd Williams
posted Hide Post
Nothing comes close to the ugliness of a Blaser.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:

Or the guy who made the above post :-)

Posts: 20161 | Location: Very NW NJ up in the Mountains | Registered: 14 June 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Todd Williams
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Biebs:
quote:

Or the guy who made the above post :-)

Where is that photo of you, the hartebeast, and Blaser. It was the hat trick of ugly!!

rotflmo

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Todd Williams:

Easy now. I just purchased a Savage Axis in 308
for $75.00 Ugliest gun I have ever looked at let alone owned. But it does shoot well & my 90 pound neighbors grand daughter likes it & can shoot it well, an ok but Dammed ugly first gun!!! tu2 dancing

Posts: 2359 | Location: KENAI, ALASKA | Registered: 10 November 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Todd Williams
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by tsturm:
quote:

for $75.00 Ugliest gun I have ever looked at let alone owned. But it does shoot well & my 90 pound neighbors grand daughter likes it & can shoot it well, an ok but Dammed ugly first gun!!! tu2 dancing

That Savage Axis may not be pretty but it doesn't hold a candle to the sheer ridiculous hideousness of this contraption:

barf

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by tsturm:
quote:

That Savage Axis may not be pretty but it doesn't hold a candle to the sheer ridiculous hideousness of this contraption:

Holly shit, Enough enough! you win!!
Now I know what a polished turd is.

barf

Posts: 2359 | Location: KENAI, ALASKA | Registered: 10 November 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of RaySendero
posted Hide Post
Mossberg:

________
Ray

Posts: 1786 | Registered: 10 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of sambarman338
posted Hide Post
My father was a farmer and bought us a Mossberg bolt-action shotgun, one of the ugliest and least-useful guns I can imagine. (looking back, I think Dad decided that had he bought a pump-action I would have sent him broke with ammo bills).

However, it would appear this rifle is so ugly that not even Mossberg could bare to show it to us. However, the picture above is a cut above those I finally googled.

Posts: 5089 | Location: Melbourne, Australia | Registered: 31 March 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Cougarz
posted Hide Post
Any modern Savage bolt action. To me they look like they were put together from plumbing parts from a hardware store and handle like it too!

Roger

*we band of 45-70ers*

Posts: 2811 | Location: Washington (wetside) | Registered: 08 February 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
When it comes to ugly rifles, Art Alfin took the cake, a tree stump and a milsurp Mauser and for big bucks!!

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 42157 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sambarman338:
My father was a farmer and bought us a Mossberg bolt-action shotgun, one of the ugliest and least-useful guns I can imagine.

Now, now. My first shotgun was a Mossberg 20 gauge. Killed lots of doves with that gun. But when an old paper hull that had been reloaded once too many times blew out at the rim, the sheet metal extractor would be sprung out at about a 90 degree angle. Fortunately (after you wiped the powder residue from your eyes), the extractor could be hammered back straight with a rock and allow you to continue with your sporting pursuits.

Posts: 13243 | Location: Henly, TX, USA | Registered: 04 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
LB 404.
Where have you been hiding, took all my best guns and disappeared!! wave

Goof to have you back..an not to worry the guy that hates the pre 64 mod. stocks, shoots Art Alfins custom stumps.. rotflmo

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 42157 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I see on occasion some great custom beautiful rifles for sale.

That look like they have never been hunted as there is not a mark on them.

For a price far below what they cost to build.

I well take not so good looking that I use over beautiful rifles that do not get used.

Posts: 19582 | Location: wis | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Mossberg Model 800 series.

Posts: 188 | Location: West Virginia | Registered: 14 March 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
A: What has this got to do with gunsmithing?
B: Why are we resurrecting a 12 year old thread?

Posts: 17275 | Location: USA | Registered: 02 August 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post

Posts: 3611 | Location: Sweden | Registered: 02 May 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RaySendero:
Mossberg:

I've got to be honest, even as a guy who likes his rifles with a classic style, I don't find this one offensive, other than the helical latrines dug in the bolt, and maybe the white spacers. Certainly wouldn't be ashamed to hang it on my wall if it were gifted to me (if we were allowed to leave our rifles on the wall here, which we're not.) The Savage I would hide until I could sell it, anonymously, on the interweb, and use the money to buy something older and nicer.

It's a shame we're only talking about factory ugliness. I've got a photo all racked up, waiting for the opportunity to foist on the unsuspecting firearms community, of the most humiliated rifle I've ever seen.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
My TC Encore is a contender for the ugliest rifle. (Pun intended)
After I spray it with green lawn furniture paint it should be the winner.

IHMSA BC Provincial Champion and Perfect 40 Score, Unlimited Category, AAA Class.

Posts: 3402 | Location: Kamloops, BC | Registered: 09 November 2015Reply With Quote