Find
Notify
Tools

Shortening a Rem 700 SPS stock
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of GSSP
posted
Can a standard Rem 700 short action SPS stock be shortened for an 11 yr old boy? Something in the 12" range.

Alan

Posts: 1719 | Location: Utah | Registered: 01 June 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Toomany Tools
posted Hide Post
I'm sure it can be but not without some difficulty. The stock is hollow, so if I cut one I'd probably either make a plug out of wood to epoxy into the void to which I coud attach a recoil pad, or fill the void with either expanding foam or epoxy. The bigger problem is finding a pad that can be ground small enough to fit the stock once it's cut so short. Even the smallest Pachmyer pad would be too big to fit as they all have steel plates molded into them.

John Farner

If you haven't, please join the NRA!

Posts: 2944 | Location: Corrales, NM, USA | Registered: 07 February 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of GunCat
posted Hide Post
Yes, although its not quite as straight forward as cutting off a wood stock.

After you cut off the stock you probably need to install a new pad. IIRC those SPS pads have a stepped down inset and thats not going to fit back into the shorted, smaller stock. Depending on how much length you cut off you might have to install a attachment block of some type and drill new holes for the recoil pad screws (they'll need a place to screw into)

Added: I bet you can buy a synthetic 700 youth stock for the price of having your stock cut and a new pad installed....and I see that John types 1 minute faster than I Big Grin

Steve Rose
----------
Rose Action Sports, LLC
www.roseactionsports.com

Posts: 189 | Location: Western Kentucky | Registered: 02 November 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Westpac
posted Hide Post
Pachmayr makes a Youth Pad that might just be the ticket.

http://www.brownells.com/.aspx...ct/YOUTH_RECOIL_PADS

Albeit this is an HS Precision stock, the block to attach the pad as John mentioned would be the same.

Posts: 3171 | Location: SLC, Utah | Registered: 23 February 2007Reply With Quote