New
Find
Notify
Tools

Re: Stock Painting?????
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Oddly enough, I just finished painting an HS Precision stock today.

The best paint available, that I've used, is Brownells AlumaHyde II. It takes a few days to completely dry, but is a lot tougher than Krylon type paints. Follow the instructions and leave it in a hot garage or attic for a couple days

For the spider webs, the only solution is Krylon Webbing Spray. It drys fast and is available in a few colors. The one I just finished is black base with a black web so it is more for texture than looks.

Here are some links,
http://www.brownells.com/aspx/NS/store/ProductDetail.aspx?p=1117&title=ALUMA-HYDE+II

http://www.misterart.com/store/view.cfm?store=003&group_id=1353

Note that the webbing spray is in a 4 ounce can. I have done four stocks and still have a bit left in the first can.

It's easy, fun and if the stock gets scratched up, it's easy to fix too!

Good luck!

Posts: 1372 | Location: USA | Registered: 18 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Hey I use zolotone car paint stays good and holds up to all but the harshest chems

Posts: 100 | Location: anchorage,alaska,USA | Registered: 15 April 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Bill-

It's not that hard. Scuff up the wood stock so that you get good adhesion. Clean it thoroughly (mineral spirits, etc). After that, avoid touching the stock with your bare hands until you're finished with the job. Pick a good quality paint as your base coat/color. After applying a good base, the "webbing" is easily done with "spatter paint". They sell it labeled that way, in spray cans. Experiment a little first on something else until you get the feel for it, and figure out how much you want to apply for your desired look. You can then cover everything with a flat or satin clear coat if you so desire. It's not required, but will make the job a little more "durable".

Have fun!

one of us
posted Hide Post
Howdy Guys! I have been thinking of trying my hand at painting one of my gunstocks. I really like the looks of the gray with black webing. Looking for alittle input as to which type or brand spray paint to use, how to prepare a wood stock to be painted and how to get the webing affect. Any info will be very helpful.
Thanks
Bill

Posts: 216 | Location: Port Lavaca, Tx | Registered: 21 April 2004Reply With Quote