New
Find
Notify
Tools

Custom or Customize??
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I would think it would be hard to beat a H-S Precision for accuracy and features. They guarantee 1/2 MOA and have a 3-position safety, claw extractor(does this mean controlled round feed?), detachable box mag, nice synthetic stock, and adjustable trigger.

What could I get to match or top this(for the same $$) if I would be willing to customize a Rem, Win, or Ruger?

Also, if anyone has experience with H-S Precision rifles, I would really like to hear how the rifles hold up over time. I've read some articles, but until I get some feedback from actual owners, I'm going to keep looking.

Posts: 1346 | Location: NE | Registered: 03 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
The claw extractor is not controlled-round-feeding, just a more postive method of extraction compared to something like a Rem 700.

You didn't say what caliber or what you planned to use the rifle for and I think the H-S guarnatee is for under .30 caliber.

There are a lot of 'smiths who advertise in magazines like Rifle or Rifle Shooter who specialize in tuning up factory rifles and this can be at a minimum of rebedding your factory stock, recrowning the barrel and doing a trigger job etc...next step up would be truing the action, installing a custom barrel and fitting an aftermarket stock like a McMillan etc. For example, PacNor will true your action and install a match-grade ss barrel for under $500..add a McMillan stock for $500...get a trigger job and you're ready to go...about $1100 plus the action.

Posts: 4360 | Location: Sunny Southern California | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I prefer the customize, because I can make it the way I want with no compromises.

Posts: 593 | Location: My computer. | Registered: 28 November 2001Reply With Quote