New
Find
Notify
Tools

problem with redding dies
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
bought forming and loading dies for the 219 wasp from redding. ran into problems right away. in forming from 30/30 brass the shoulders of the 219 were .030 to long. it didn't make any difference whether the forming dies or loading dies. they were all to long at the shoulder. Last night i finally figured out the problem. if i ran the 30/30 case into the #1 form die all the way until the bottom of case head was flush with the bottom of the die all was perfect. whoever laid the machining out forgot the amount of the case that is embedded in the shell holder. no hard to fix, just chuck up the die and cut .030 off the bottom. but i did let redding know so they can fix the problem before the next guy pulls his hair out

Posts: 13462 | Location: faribault mn | Registered: 16 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Butchloc,
I ran into the same problem with mine as well.
There are 2 versions of the 219 DW, the regular or longer version, and the short or original version.
Redding lists both, I'll nearly bet your dies are marked regular when you need the short ones.
The problem came about between the Speer manuals #5 and #6, #5 has the correct and original dimensions, when they printed the #6 manual, there is an extra dimansion added from the base to the start of the shoulder, previously the measurements were taken from in front of the rim, the #6 manual extra dimension was taken from behind the rim, making it 0.063" longer, or the thickness of a 30-30 rim. It did not alter the overall case length, just shortened the neck up as it were, which made the shoulder further forward. As Speer was known as the authority in those days, Hornady, Sierra and others just copied Speer's mistake, compounding the problem.
The good news is that with the Redding "short" dies, it all works as it should. RCBS forming dies are also for the original version, as per Red Elliot's reamer drawing, which is considered the correct one.
I hope this might shed a bit of light on it for you.

Regards,
David.

Posts: 81 | Location: Queensland, Australia | Registered: 31 May 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
redding called and explained the same thing, but the differences in short and long is much greater than .030

Posts: 13462 | Location: faribault mn | Registered: 16 November 2004Reply With Quote