THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM GUNSMITHING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Guns, Politics, Gunsmithing & Reloading  Hop To Forums  Gunsmithing    If mauser 98 is suitable for .376 styre preseure?

Moderators: jeffeosso
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

If mauser 98 is suitable for .376 styre preseure?
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Hi
I wonder if the old mauser can witstand high working pressure of this new round?

BR
Danny

Posts: 1127 | Location: Sweden | Registered: 19 June 2000Reply With Quote
<George Stringer>
posted
Danny, assuming you had a good 98 action then yes it would. George

<eldeguello>
posted
An M98 Mauser in good condition and made of good materials (this depends upon who made it, when, and where), will stand as much working pressure as any good bolt action.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Hi
According to a book I am reading the mauser 98 action is pressure tested at only 57000 psi and ,376 steyrs workin preure is 600000 psi:

<RENRAF>
posted
Danny, I think you have an extra zero in there, 600,000 psi is pretty high. As I recall, in R.A.Walsh's book, the 96 Swede Mauser has the 57,000 psi limit, but a good quality 98 (1909 Arg. VZ-24)will handle .376 Styer with no problem.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Danny, Ruger tested some M98's, and found that they didn't fail until 180,000 psi!

Posts: 3097 | Location: Louisiana | Registered: 28 November 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Do as I'm going to do, and buy a new Chas Daly MkX Mauser action (in my case, stainless), and have a 376 built. This way, you'll know its made right, without a doubt. OTOH, I would not hesitate to own a good Mauser action, and do the same thing. ~~~Suluuq

Posts: 854 | Location: Kotzebue, Ak. | Registered: 25 December 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Hi rusty
A 98 in stailess !! can you give me the web adress.
Danny

<JOHAN>
posted
DANNY

A 98 will stand up for a 376 steyr, no doubt. But why not pick a 9,3X64 or 9,3X62 instead. I would never get a 376 steyr, rather a 375 dakota. You can get cases from NORMA for the Dakota. Who knows how long the 376 steyr lives.

I hope you fellows match the stainless mauser action with a metallic pink stock soo we know who you are. Purple or baby blue is also some options to take under consideration.

/ JOHAN

one of us
posted Hide Post
Danny... www.charlesdaly.com

They are the MkX actions, I think made in Yugoslavia.
It appears not everyone is enthusiastic about a stainless Mauser as I am, but I dang hate rust forming on a new rifle. I live in Alaska, and "rust" seems to be our unoffical State Corrosion! ~~~Suluuq

Posts: 854 | Location: Kotzebue, Ak. | Registered: 25 December 2001Reply With Quote
<Fireplug>
posted
We seem to have some Mauser and Mark X expertise and fans here, and I am very interested in the Mini Mark X for my wildcat project. Please, share your opinions of and experience with either Mark X.

Thanks,
Fireplug

one of us
posted Hide Post
According to Quickload, 10 gr of Power Pistol in 9mm 1.00" OAL with 124 gr is over 1,000,000 psi. [that is over 100 in dog years]

But that load does not even pierce the primer.

Another engineer from a fancy rifle comapany with military contracts uses Quickload to desing proof loads for the rifles.

Welcome to the BS world of pressure.

When I increase the pressure in a 98 Mauser design until the primer pocket gets much bigger, I have properly proof tested it. I then measure the head space to see if it changed.

The proper way of discussing this is to say that the thrust on the bolt action is equal to the pressure times the brass web inside area minus the friction of the case on the chamber.

The next question is, "How long was the pressure spike?" Was it long enough to affect the action? or just the brass?

My expeience is that the 98 action very strong, but I have only used .470" case heads [8mm, 45acp, .308, and .243].

Posts: 2249 | Registered: 27 February 2001Reply With Quote