THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM GUNSMITHING FORUM

Moderators: jeffeosso
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Installed Timney now cartridge won't fire...???
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of dogcatcher223
posted
Hey guys, I installed a Timney trigger in my Ruger M77, mkII. So I go to the range today and it won't ignite the primer. I pull the trigger and the firing pin goes, but it does not seem to have enough power to it. It is dimpling the primer, but not enough to ignite it. I even tried retrying the same case a few times and even three whacks won't make the primer go.

I am not sure what the new trigger would have to do with the firing pin power. I filed down the rear of the trigger so the safety just clears it, and the safety is functioning pefectly. I pull the trigger and it fires, there just isn't enough power to ignite the primer. Input?

One of Us
posted Hide Post
My first guess would be that the cocking piece, as it moves forward when the trigger is released, is dragging somewhere on the trigger/sear assembly. As it moves forward, the drag is slowing the firing mechanism down just enough so there is not enough force to pop the primer. Sorta like running into a wall at 5 mph vs 20.

Posts: 8169 | Location: humboldt | Registered: 10 April 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
The trigger over travel stop screw is too tight and the sear isnt fully diengageing. Is my guess . I had that problem too See if your getting a scratch mark on the bottom of the cocking piece .

The trigger sear is rubbing on the cocking piece as the firing pin goes foward.

Try adjusting the screw for alittle more over travel

My guess....

Rick

Posts: 4821 | Location: Idaho/North Mex. | Registered: 12 June 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of dogcatcher223
posted Hide Post
Thanks guys, I am going to break it down and check and retry it. I will repost and let you know. THANKS AGAIN!

one of us
Picture of dogcatcher223
posted Hide Post
Thanks, there were scratch marks on the bottom of the cocking piece. I backed out the screw and it fires now. Of course now there is play after I pull the trigger but the gun works again. I just wanted a lower pull so I guess it doesn't really bother me.

one of us
posted Hide Post
If there is too much play after you pull the trigger you may have gone farther than you need. Tighten the screw until it dosen't fire. Cock it and while pulling the trigger adjust the screw until it fires, give it an eigth of a turn more and it should fire reliably without too much overtravel. Of course make sure it isn't loaded.

Posts: 372 | Location: Alberta | Registered: 13 December 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of dogcatcher223
posted Hide Post
Thanks, I will give that a try.