New
Find
Notify
Tools

Remington #4 in 32 H&R
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I've been looking at a Remington #4 rolling block rifle in 32 rimfire, thinking about redoing it in 32 H&R mag. What's the board's opinion of the safety of this? Do you think it's wise to use smokeless powder in one of these rifles or should it be a black powder shooter only? I know I could use a Uberti action and be safe, but not sure about the old original ones.

Posts: 187 | Location: Nuevo Mexico | Registered: 15 May 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Don't do it!

I converted a Model 4 to 17HMR and the breech block could not take it. I am now going to rechamber to 17M2 and hope that it will be OK. The model 4 is not a very strong action, take care.

Marcos (elalto)

Posts: 143 | Location: Chula Vista, California, USA | Registered: 05 February 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of M1Tanker
posted Hide Post
I have a buddy who did the exact conversion you are thinking about. He also sleeved the barrel. replaced all the screws and springs. He then had it case hardened since he had cleaned up the surfaces.

The conversion worked great, but he keeps the loads very mild.

William Berger

True courage is being scared to death but saddling up anyway. - John Wayne

The courageous may not live forever, but the timid do not live at all.

Posts: 3155 | Location: Rigby, ID | Registered: 20 March 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
DeHaas "Single Shot Rifles" does not recomend this. He sais 22 mag max in the solid frame action. The #4 uses screws instead of pins to
take the force. Look for a #2 .
Good luck!

Posts: 1028 | Location: Mid Michigan | Registered: 08 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Elalto:
Don't do it!

I converted a Model 4 to 17HMR and the breech block could not take it. I am now going to rechamber to 17M2 and hope that it will be OK. The model 4 is not a very strong action, take care.

Marcos (elalto)

Is is not true that 22, 22mag, 17HMR, and 17M2 are all with the same case head and all with the same max pressure, ~20 kpsi?

Posts: 2249 | Registered: 27 February 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I asked the NRA one time about .22 rf pressure,
They gave the same answer 20,000 psi.
I'm not sure what that means. For example
when they reach that (high velocities) do they
then play around with bullet weight, and powder
speed?.\
How does the guy load a 17 hrm lightly?.
Good Luck!

Posts: 1028 | Location: Mid Michigan | Registered: 08 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Hog Killer
posted Hide Post
Just convert the block to centerfire, 32 S&W or 32 S&W L, should work. Mild smokelss loadscan be made up or if you really want to bring back the past, load some BP rounds with FFFg. You did not say which .32 rimfire your rifle is chambered for. The rimfire and centerfire rounds were nearly always the same diamentions, the only difference was the priming system.

32 S&W, 32 S&W L, and 32 Mag., all can be loaded with the same die set. How ever if you load the 32 S&W, the bullet seating die will have to be shortened, .35". As the die sets are usally set up for only the Long and the Mag. This is what I had to do, to reload for my 32S&W pistols.

Hog Killer

IGNORE YOUR RIGHTS AND THEY'LL GO AWAY!!!
------------------------------------
We Band of Bubbas & STC Hunting Club, The Whomper Club

Posts: 4553 | Location: Walker Co.,Texas | Registered: 05 September 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I did a Stevens Favorite. It was 32 RF. First convert it to center fire. At this point you can shoot 32 Long Colt. It is the same dimensions as the Rimfire. Trouble is that it requires a heel bullet. Once I got fet up with heel bullets I rechambered it to 32 S/W Long. Shot fine, ammo was no longer a problem. I would not do the 32 H/R mag. I think you will shoot it loose or at worse yo could be hurt if the breech block breaks.