Find
Notify
Tools

Work in progress, Rigby
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
to see that is was indeed made from a blank.

For all of us nonstockmakers, I am just wondering what the distinction is (if you care to tell).
1. aren't they all made from a blank
2. Is the distinction between one kind of machine and another. Or the amount of machining that can be done. Or the type of machine that can be used. Or what?

One of Us
Picture of srtrax
posted Hide Post
I remember this thread...Good Luck with the guild. BUT, I fill cheated, didnt get to see the end results!

Posts: 1641 | Location: Green Country Oklahoma | Registered: 03 August 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
So thats one of those fabled WFHein receivers?

Posts: 9434 | Location: Here & There- | Registered: 14 May 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 22WRF:
quote:

For all of us nonstockmakers, I am just wondering what the distinction is (if you care to tell).
2. Is the distinction between one kind of machine and another. Or the amount of machining that can be done. Or the type of machine that can be used. Or what?

1. Yes, but some are done entirely with hand tools or maybe minimal 'hog-out' machine work vs a pantograph.
2. Yes, the ability to make a stock with only hand tools & maybe a drill press or mill is considered to be a non-negotiable requirement for any aspiring stockmaker. Use of a pantograph-cut stock is not good enough for proof of expertise, nor should it be IMO and I believe the Guild makes this a standard. You can shape every other single stock of your career via pantograph but the proof stock must be done the old-fashioned way.
Regards, Joe

Posts: 2756 | Location: deep South | Registered: 09 December 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Real masters dont rely on pantographs to carve, Just ask Michael Angelo..... fishing... Big Grin

Stock making is like golf, you drive and rough mill for show, but you putt and fine inlet for dough$$.

Posts: 9434 | Location: Here & There- | Registered: 14 May 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of dempsey
posted Hide Post
Good luck Jim and have fun.

I'd love to have a mill if for only for rough inletting. Maybe one day I'll stumble across a "deal"

Posts: 6205 | Location: Cascade, MT | Registered: 12 February 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
well, not to take anything away from Mr. Kobe's skills, but it appears to me that almost as much work was done with a machine on this stock as would be done with a pantograph.

one of us
Picture of dempsey
posted Hide Post
If a guy is going to make a living he has to find ways to remove bulk wood fast and still be accurate at the end. I can't think of a better tool than a mill.

Posts: 6205 | Location: Cascade, MT | Registered: 12 February 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Jim's work is fantastic and I really appreciate him taking the time to take photos and post them.

Jim I would love to find out where to get one of those grip caps.......and also to see some photos of the rifle when finished......Thanks

One of Us
Picture of cmfic1
posted Hide Post
quote:
well, not to take anything away from Mr. Kobe's skills, but it appears to me that almost as much work was done with a machine on this stock as would be done with a pantograph.

ACGG aside, does it matter???

Wouldnt to me, If I can have Jim or anybody else of his skill make me a stock, if in the end it looks the same, I wouldnt care if he wittled it, or used power to do it....if its saving me money, I want it done for less $$

Rod

--------------------------------
"A hunter should not choose the cal, cartridge, and bullet that will kill an animal when everything is right; rather, he should choose ones that will kill the most efficiently when everything goes wrong"
Bob Hagel

Posts: 977 | Location: Alberta, Canada. | Registered: 10 May 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of JBrown
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:

Trez said it well, so I'll quote him:

quote:
quote:
Originally posted by Trez Hensley:
Here is a partial copy of the rules as taken from the ACGG web site. I've put the info that is directly related to your question in BOLD. The original founders of the guild made the rules.

The most likely reason as to why you can use a mill and not a duplicator is to allow the Guild to know that you know how to lay out a stock correctly. Many who use a duplicator, do not do the work themselves and so they may never have had to do the detailed layout work.

However, since I have only been in the guild for the last few years maybe a few Guild members here that were around during the early days of the Guild might be in a better position to answer this in full detail.....

From the ACGG site:

To qualify as a Regular Member, an applicant must be a professional craftsperson who
actively solicits commissions to create custom firearms, all, or in part, or related items. An
applicant’s quality of craftsmanship in the categories: Stockmaker, Metalsmith, Engraver,
Metal Finisher should represent at least minimum professional standard for the field. Due
to their specialization aspect, an applicant’s quality of craftsmanship in all other categories
should represent excellent standard for the field. Members are expected to maintain good
business practices and high ethical standards in their relations with the public and their
peers. At the annual meeting, candidates are required to display at least two (2) examples
of work and be approved by a 2/3 majority of the members voting. Refer to the attached
“Requirements for Acceptance -Stockmaker,” “Requirements for Acceptance - Metalsmith,”
and “Requirements for Acceptance - Metal Finisher.”

--To Apply For Membership
An applicant for admittance to the Guild must submit work for viewing and acceptance by
the membership. The work in the category submitted for membership approval must be
Page 2 3/2009
completed by the candidate without the assistance of any outside party (e.g., all stockwork,
all metalwork, etc.).

---To apply for Regular Membership please do the following:
1. Fill out the personal information and signature on the Page 3 Applicant’s Signature Page.
2. Provide six (6) customer references who can verify workmanship and satisfactory business
practices. (Page 4 of Application)
3. Review all qualifications and sign application.
4. Submit signatures of three (3) or more current Regular Members who have reviewed work
samples. (Page 5 of Application)
5. Include a signed copy of your Federal Firearms License where applicable.
6. Enclose a check or money order for $260.00 payable to: American Custom Gunmakers
Guild.
7. Mail all forms and materials to: Jan Billeb, Executive Director, American Custom
Gunmakers Guild, 22 Vista View Ln, Cody, WY 82414-9606.

REQUIREMENTS FOR ACCEPTANCE - STOCKMAKER

An applicant must submit two stocks with the following work completed. All of this work must be performed
solely by the applicant.
1. INLETTING

a. Both stocks must be fully inlet, metal to wood.
b. At least one of the stocks must be laid out, inlet and shaped by hand. This means no use of
duplicating or pantograph machines (drill presses, hand saws, milling machines, etc. are, of course,
acceptable). We are making no judgments on the use of pantograph machines in the everyday life
of a stockmaker. We do believe, however, that a stockmaker should know how to make a stock "by
hand from the blank" and for this occasion we would like him/her to do so on at least one of the
examples.
c. The applicant must bring required hand tools to remove metal from wood for inspection of inletting.

2. STYLE
Style of stock work may be any the applicant desires and will be judged solely on the layout, quality of fit,
finish, detail and checkering.
3. FINISH
Finish may be any type the applicant feels is appropriate for the firearm displayed. Judging will be on
preparation, application, detail and overall appearance.
4. CHECKERING
a. Checkering will be judged on layout, sharpness of diamonds, straightness of lines, lack of overruns,
and overall appearance.
b. Patterns may be any the applicant desires.
5. SCREWS
All slotted screws must be indexed with slots parallel to the length of the firearm (north-south screws).
6. ADDITIONAL FEATURES
We would like to see these four features included at least once each. It is not necessary to include all four
features in each piece, but we would like to see one feature each from a, b, c, and d, somewhere on the two
stocks.
a. Steel, skeleton butt plate or leather covered pad.
b. Steel, skeleton grip cap or trap grip cap.
c. Ebony or contrasting forend tip.
d. Inletted sling swivel base or bases.
7. FUNCTIONING
Above all, the examples MUST function perfectly. This is CUSTOM work, which means superb in function
as well as esthetics. The applicant will submit along with the two firearms, a full magazine of dummy
cartridges for function testing.
Page 8 3/2009
8. RECOMMENDATIONS, TYPES OF FIREARMS
Since the purpose of this work is to show off the applicant's abilities as a stockmaker, it is recommended that
quality rifles or shotguns requiring a considerable amount of inletting and shaping be chosen. Mauser 98,
Model 70 Winchester, 03 Springfield, High-Wall Winchester, Hagn, Ruger #1, Model 21 Winchester, L.C.
Smith, Parker, any of the fine European shotguns, side-by-side or over-under, and, if you are lucky enough,
a fine double rifle would be great. Muzzleloaders are also a good choice.
What we would not like to see would be, for example, Model 12 Winchester, 870 Remington, etc. There is
nothing wrong with these firearms, they simply do not require the amount of inletting and shaping that we feel
is necessary to showcase one's skills.

Jason

"You're not hard-core, unless you live hard-core."

Hunting in Africa is an adventure. The number of variables involved preclude the possibility of a perfect hunt. Some problems will arise. How you decide to handle them will determine how much you enjoy your hunt.

Just tell yourself, "it's all part of the adventure." Remember, if Robert Ruark had gotten upset every time problems with Harry
Selby's flat bed truck delayed the safari, Horn of the Hunter would have read like an indictment of Selby. But Ruark rolled with the punches, poured some gin, and enjoyed the adventure.

-Jason Brown

Posts: 6838 | Location: Nome, Alaska(formerly SW Wyoming) | Registered: 22 December 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of TC1
posted Hide Post
Jim, I think you're in. Best of luck to you at the show.

Terry

--------------------------------------------

Well, other than that Mrs. Lincoln, how was the play?

Posts: 6315 | Location: Mississippi | Registered: 18 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Big Earl
posted Hide Post
Jim, Best of luck. Hopfully you can bring it next year as well, I would like to see the final product.

Posts: 364 | Location: Sticks, Indiana | Registered: 03 July 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Toomany Tools
posted Hide Post
Jim, nice work. One bit of advice: take a day and clean your shop up. Big Grin

John Farner

If you haven't, please join the NRA!

Posts: 2944 | Location: Corrales, NM, USA | Registered: 07 February 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks for all the support, and I clean the shop on Sunday.

Jim Kobe
10841 Oxborough Ave So
Bloomington MN 55437
Professional member American Custom Gunmakers Guild

Posts: 5521 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: 10 July 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Beautiful work Jim. I'd love to see a picture of the completed rifle.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Jim,
Did you find a grip cap like that for my project?
Butch

Posts: 8964 | Location: Poetry, Texas | Registered: 28 November 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Jim

I wish you best of luck at the ACGG show. I think you will be voted in by landslide.

How did you cut the grip to match the sculpted base of the grip cap?

Please post some pics of the completed rifle.

Craftsman

Posts: 1545 | Location: North Texas | Registered: 11 February 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
For all you guys who wanted the grip cap info and pictures of the completed rifle, it will be at the expo in Reno on the weekend of the 21st. It is owned by engraver Gene Plante and he can offer info on the cap and let you see it Live.

Jim Kobe
10841 Oxborough Ave So
Bloomington MN 55437
Professional member American Custom Gunmakers Guild

Posts: 5521 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: 10 July 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Thanks for posting pictures of your work. I find it amazing what some people can still create with their own two hands. Hope to see more of your work in the future.

Posts: 1361 | Location: Houston, Texas | Registered: 07 February 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Jim,
I can't make the show. She if you can get me a grip cap.
Butch

Posts: 8964 | Location: Poetry, Texas | Registered: 28 November 2004Reply With Quote