THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM GUNSMITHING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Guns, Politics, Gunsmithing & Reloading  Hop To Forums  Gunsmithing    Picked up a British Magnum length mauser stock, need some help
Page 1 2 

Moderators: jeffeosso
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Picked up a British Magnum length mauser stock, need some help
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Michael Robinson
posted Hide Post
I also love the lines of that stock.

If given the chance to buy it, I would probably have done the same thing you did.

Mike

Wilderness is my cathedral, and hunting is my prayer.

Posts: 13667 | Location: New England | Registered: 06 June 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I think that stock could be off a rigby. I had a .350 with serial No. 4184. Made 1912.
Your stock has all the trademarks including the trap on the butt plate.

John

Posts: 172 | Location: Ireland/London | Registered: 09 February 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Marc_Stokeld:
I was wondering if I might could trouble you for a ocuple more pics. Could you please shoot a shot of the comb nose and top line of the stock, taken from over the fore arm and angling down slightly?

Also, could you take a shot of the toe line up through the grip? The angle I am talking about would have the stock upside down and the camera would be behind the butt, shooting forward, and angling down.

Who made the stock? Was it from an old Rigby? You might could turn this into a money making situation if you wanted to sell soem patterns. You could have a couple made for the magnum action and have soemone use it to make a pattern for a regular M98 action. Would not be that hard to do. If oyu have had the intrest in the stock that you mention then use it as a way to get the rifle you really wanted to begin with

Posts: 952 | Location: Mass | Registered: 14 August 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of dempsey
posted Hide Post
Saw this in the classifieds

https://forums.accuratereloading.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/2711043/m/193103428

Posts: 6205 | Location: Cascade, MT | Registered: 12 February 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by dempsey:
Saw this in the classifieds

https://forums.accuratereloading.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/2711043/m/193103428

I was 99% sure it was off a 350 Rigby and I just got the pics of that rifle and I'm now 100% sure this is off a 350 Rigby. Cool looking rifle!

One of Us
Picture of lee440
posted Hide Post
If you do have a pattern made for a Std Mauser, please let me know, I would be happy to buy one! Lee.

DRSS(We Band of Bubba's Div.)
N.R.A (Life)
T.S.R.A (Life)
D.S.C.

Posts: 2272 | Location: Texas | Registered: 18 May 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
THanks Geoff. I have thought baout it a lot more and do think you could turn this into a money making situation. Would go a ways to getting your .416. You could use the money to pay for part of a Granite Mountain Magnum action and still be able to use this stock if that is what you want to do.

Posts: 2509 | Location: Kisatchie National Forest, LA | Registered: 20 October 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I'm not really sure what making the model entails but I'll keep you guys posted.

One Of Us
Picture of new_guy
posted Hide Post
GeoffM42 - you should get with gunmaker and have him make a pattern stock... you could earn a royalty off of the duplication he does based on your pattern. James' work is firt-class.

Charge $100/ea for your "royalty" and you're off to the races on that dream gun of yours. thumb

I'll take one of the patterns too.

www.heymusa.com

HSC Booth # 306
SCI Booth # 3947

one of us
Picture of Bill Soverns
posted Hide Post
Email sent Geoff.

Regards,

Posts: 1268 | Location: Newell, SD, USA | Registered: 07 December 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of gunmaker
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by GeoffM24:
I'm looking into stretching a std mauser right now an that looks like the route I'm going to take. It isn't cheap but it isn't $5,300 either.

The guard screw spacing is the same on a real mag Mauser as a standard military contract 98. If you stretch a standard then the guard screw spacing will be too long. If you have a Std. 98 action & floormetal around try dropping them to see what I mean.

gunmaker
------------------
James Anderson Metalsmith & Stockmaker
WEB SITE

More Pics on FLICKR

Posts: 1861 | Location: Western South Dakota | Registered: 05 January 2005Reply With Quote