Notify
Tools

Remington 78 Sportsman
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of kiwiwildcat
posted
Hey guys,

From what I understand these were just a plain finished Model 700 made from 1984 to 1988.

One in .308 has come up for sale down here and I'm considering buying it vs a brand new stainless Model 700 SPS for my 7mm SAUM build. Will be about half the price of a new M700 SPS. The intention is to then get it Cerakoted along with the barrel and rest of the metal work.

I already have a brand new short action Model 700 PTG bolt and aluminium firing pin/bolt shroud assembly. I can get a floor plate assembly and new follower from Numerich Gun Parts.

Looking for some opinions please. Any comments on the action / trigger quality compared to a new 700 SPS?

Cheers,

Michael

She was only the Fish Mongers daughter. But she lay on the slab and said 'fillet'

Posts: 511 | Location: Auckland, New Zealand. | Registered: 22 February 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
simple, buy the cheapest one. The quality of the 78 just as good as any of the others.

Shoot straight, shoot often.
Matt

Posts: 1183 | Location: Wisconsin | Registered: 19 July 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I reconditoned one in .243 some years ago. The mainspring chattered inside the bolt body when cocked and the rear scope base holes were drilled off-center. It shot fine though. The trigger will likely be the original one "Walker trigger" with three adjustments. When clean and adjusted properly it is a fine trigger.

Posts: 3788 | Location: SC,USA | Registered: 07 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Mine is a blind magazine (ADL) in a wood stock with a 700 action. Nice rifle for the price.

"Peace is that brief glorious moment in history when everybody stands around reloading".

Posts: 837 | Location: Randleman, NC | Registered: 07 April 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
Yep, it is nothing but a 700 without the bolt engine turning and the bolt handle has no checkering. I have one.
Quality compared to current 700s? Hmmm. I don't see any diff.

Posts: 17294 | Location: USA | Registered: 02 August 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I like bottom metal on my guns, not much on blind magazines and the 78 has a blind magazine. but they are cheap and a good deal for the buck..

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 42176 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I'd lay odds that the 78 action is better fitted and finished than a brand new 700 coming out of today's factory.

I base this in part on the difference between a a 20 year-old Rem Model 870 and a recent Remington Express pump. Daylight and dark, despite being the same design.

Posts: 13245 | Location: Henly, TX, USA | Registered: 04 April 2001Reply With Quote