Find
Notify
Tools

Converting a 410 SXS to small bore double rifle
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of ramrod340
posted
OK As I sit here at the daughters waiting for our home remodel that was supposed to be completed by Thanksgiving forecast now for March. I'm BORED to DEATH.

I have an old 410 SXS that I shoot slugs out of now and then. Other than not very accurate gets expensive.

So I was simply wondering if some simple conversion to a low pressure round would be possible without breaking the bank. Simple bore and barrel liner???

I'm sure others have asked ad the answer is way too much $$$$$$

As usual just my $.02
Paul K

Posts: 12881 | Location: Mexico, MO | Registered: 02 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
I would make chamber inserts for 38 specials and remove them and punch the brass out with a pencil. Or better, I would mill a slot and pick them out with a little screw driver. Or most any BP cartridge. Trying to keep it simple and cheap. Simple, cheap, and effective. It would have no noise as it would have a 26 inch sound suppressor. Keep them centered with O rings. Accuracy? Put two sights on it.
They used to make such things.

Posts: 17275 | Location: USA | Registered: 02 August 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ramrod340
posted Hide Post
Hmm inserts $40 each. Sure fits the bank

As usual just my $.02
Paul K

One of Us
Picture of eagle27
posted Hide Post
Depends on how old your 410 SxS is but doesn't 45 Colt chamber and shoot in 410 shotguns? Some of the later 410 singles were sold as 410/45 Colt but lack of rifling may see so so accuracy?
Would be easier and cheaper to reload 45 Colt with cast than load 410.

Posts: 3907 | Location: Rolleston, Christchurch, New Zealand | Registered: 03 August 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
Problem with that is that bullets do not stabilize
in smooth bores so accuracy is good at ten feet max.
All the 45/410s I have seen have rifled bores or at least rifled chokes.

One of Us
Picture of yumastepside
posted Hide Post
Could you use a short, rifled insert ( about six inches, would give you about two inches of rifling )or would that be illegal over there ??

Roger

Posts: 1043 | Location: Was NSW, now Tas Australia | Registered: 27 June 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
It would be too much work to convert it so you should sent it to me Big Grin
I have been looking for a double 410 for a long time to convert to rimfire express rifle.

Never rode a bull, but have shot some.

NRA life member
NRA LEO firearms instructor (retired)
NRA Golden Eagles member

Posts: 1510 | Location: Camp Verde, AZ | Registered: 13 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
It would have no noise as it would have a 26 inch sound suppressor.

Not true!
I've fired .410 through inserts in a 12 Ga, thinking what you wrote, and got a terrible ear ringing for it. The pitch changed, but it was still LOUD.

Posts: 53 | Location: Central Pennsylvania | Registered: 01 December 2017Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
Yuma; that is what I am talking about; a chamber insert with rifling in it. It is legal because, in and of itself, it is not a firearm by any definition and once inserted into the shotgun, it is still not anything illegal. Barrels here, are treated the same as tent stakes unless you want to export one.
I should make one for my 410 Fox double that I have had since I was 8; to shoot 9mm; that ammo is very common. And see what the noise level is. Only issue is the shotgun firing pin holes are huge and higher pressure primers don't like that. Maybe I will go with, 38.

One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
OH, you might mean a short rifled insert for the .410; bore out the chamber and a couple of inches and install that.
I think the rifling needs to be at the other end; the bullet traveling down the smooth bore will stop spinning. I predict. Or the bullet needs to not touch the barrel at all. Hence the smaller caliber idea.

One of Us
posted Hide Post

Posts: 8169 | Location: humboldt | Registered: 10 April 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post

Posts: 817 | Location: Missouri | Registered: 24 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
They say they don't fit a shotgun; I don't have a Judge so I don't know why.

one of us
Picture of ramrod340
posted Hide Post
I think I'll order a couple 38sp inserts. I load for that and have 1000s of cast bullets

As usual just my $.02
Paul K

One of Us
Picture of eagle27
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by dpcd:
Problem with that is that bullets do not stabilize
in smooth bores so accuracy is good at ten feet max.
All the 45/410s I have seen have rifled bores or at least rifled chokes.

Agree without rifling any bulleted cartridge is not going to give accuracy much past a few feet. Problem is rifled bores play hell with shot patterns when using as a shotgun. Rifled invector type chokes would be best option but in an 'old' 410 double I wouldn't expect the smooth bore muzzles to have enough metal to have chokes fitted. Several of the choke makers in the USA would offer rifled chokes, just a matter of if a particular gun is suitable to fit invector chokes. At least with this style of choke a double can be quickly changed to a double rifle, double shotgun or a combination of both i.e. a bulleted cartridge in one barrel and a shotshell in the other.

Posts: 3907 | Location: Rolleston, Christchurch, New Zealand | Registered: 03 August 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of yumastepside
posted Hide Post
Sorry for the confusion, yes, a shorter than barrel length insert in a less than 45 calibre that could be fitted without modifying the original 410 barrels.

Roger

Posts: 1043 | Location: Was NSW, now Tas Australia | Registered: 27 June 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of yumastepside
posted Hide Post
....in a similar vein....would a rifled insert in 357 Mag. be too much for one of those Russian made "Baikal" single barrel shotguns, the one with the little lever at the back of the trigger guard that you pull up to open the action?

Roger

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I've been playing with the 32 S&W long or newer longer version. Orig pressure is low and vel and accurate for plinking and small game . I've been using 308 barrels . At first I was using 1903a3 drill rifle barrels only because they were cheap and this was an experiment. Switched to Green mountain , both a fast twist and std .
This was in a savage double 20 gauge . Was a fun project . Started as making 45 LC rifled drop in 8" shells with o-rings. I wanted something smaller and quiet. The 32 with a 18" sleeve in a 20 gauge 26" barrel is quiet and legal here .

Posts: 227 | Location: South Florida  | Registered: 03 February 2017Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
Good idea.
As for Baikal shotguns, they are among the strongest, well proofed, if not the smoothest finish. So, a 357 mag in one would not harm it in the least.
BUT, the thing you have to look at is the firing pin holes; some of the old, huge, ones will cause problems with high pressure, small primers. Be careful. You will know at the first shot and if the primer comes out, that is bad. Don't shoot it with your face in the way. .
If it has a small firing pin, then ok.

One of Us
Picture of custombolt
posted Hide Post
Here's a fully rifled 18 inch.410-22H liner.

Life itself is a gift. Live it up if you can.

Posts: 5231 | Location: Near Hershey PA | Registered: 12 October 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Dulltool17
posted Hide Post
How about a .327 Federal?
Punchy little number, that one!
You'd get a bit more power than the 38 and a bit more barrel wall thickness.

BTW- just opened the link Custombolt provided and there was a .327 insert listed on the page.

Doug Wilhelmi
NRA Life Member

Posts: 7503 | Location: Texas Hill Country | Registered: 15 October 2013Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ramrod340
posted Hide Post
quote:

New one for me. Have bought the 38 inserts. Will see how they work. Might consider the 22 Hornet. Also picked up a nice 28 gauge as a possible donor.

As usual just my $.02
Paul K

One of Us
posted Hide Post
There was an article in the double gun journal about lining with 22rf.

I have a single barreled rook rifle that’s been bored to 410. Thinking of lining it and chambering to 22 Hornet.

Posts: 985 | Location: Scotland | Registered: 28 February 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of custombolt
posted Hide Post
That .327 may only be a 5 incher. Not 100% sure though.
quote:
Originally posted by Dulltool17:

BTW- just opened the link Custombolt provided and there was a .327 insert listed on the page.

Posts: 5231 | Location: Near Hershey PA | Registered: 12 October 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I did not see it mentioned, spend some time looking/reading about einstecklauf. A barrel insert. I made one for a 9.3x72r drilling to shoot 22 Hornet.

They are popular in europe. Typically they have a short rifled section, most have some form of adjustment for changing impact.

Nathaniel Myers
Myers Arms LLC
nathaniel@myersarms.com
www.myersarms.com
Follow us on Instagram and YouTube

I buy Mauser actions, parts, micrometers, tools, calipers, etc. Specifically looking for pre-WWII Mauser tools.

Posts: 1498 | Location: Ohio | Registered: 06 June 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by custombolt:
That .327 may only be a 5 incher. Not 100% sure though.
quote:
Originally posted by Dulltool17:
327 = newer longer 32S&W long . Excellent but high pressure , I settled on the middle of the road 32 H&R magnum

Posts: 227 | Location: South Florida  | Registered: 03 February 2017Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of custombolt
posted Hide Post
Top shelf quality with minor gunsmithing required. Love it! Lots of caliber options too.

quote:
Originally posted by Fal Grunt:
I did not see it mentioned, spend some time looking/reading about einstecklauf. A barrel insert. I made one for a 9.3x72r drilling to shoot 22 Hornet.

They are popular in europe. Typically they have a short rifled section, most have some form of adjustment for changing impact.