New
Find
Notify
Tools

Re: hello,new here.
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
when paul yeager was in the phila area i used to go down and slober. mr. apel had several there that they had converted on the ruger to 375 h&h. he is now in the north east. i,m sure looking at the conversion quality they would hold up well.

Posts: 128 | Location: southeastern pa | Registered: 23 July 2003Reply With Quote
<eldeguello>
posted
Welcome. Nice to hear from new folks with interesting ideas!! Let us know how your project progresses.

RE: Paul Jaeger making double rifles on O/U shotgun actions - I thought I recalled that these were once made by Jaeger. I wonder if the work on these was done in Germany. I once had them make a set of mount rings for the claw bases on a J.P. Sauer double rifle, and I'll swear they sent the gun to Germany for the work - it took them 18 months!

Herr Apel is now running New England Custom guns, or was last I heard. I wonder if that outfit makes O/U rifles on shotgun frames like Jaeger used to do.

one of us
posted Hide Post
I've seen a few O/U doubles made by Butch Searcy kicking around. I think they were made on the Ruger Red Label. IIRC, I saw one on GunsAmerica a while back in 300H&H that Butch had built several years ago.

Posts: 1508 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 09 August 2002Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
i have played with some of butch's doubles,wow.he does great work.i am hopeing to get some time to ask questions of him.new england custom is one i have not thought of,i have delt with the before and was happy with there customer servace.of cource ruger is of no help at all,but i will keep the information up to date.thank you all.

Posts: 7 | Location: olathe, Kansas | Registered: 25 November 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Oldsarge
posted Hide Post
The general rule is that when building double rifles you will save yourself much grief and frustration, not to mention hazard, if you stick to rimmed cartridges. The only reason for either belted or "rimless" cartridges is to fit through a bolt action. Avoid the .375 H&H, therefore, and either go with the .375 Flanged or the 9.3x74. You will be glad you did.

Posts: 2690 | Location: Lakewood, CA. USA | Registered: 07 January 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Will
posted Hide Post
Ditto. Why some persist with the .375 H&H when the .375 Flanged Magnum or 9.3 will do is a mystery.

Posts: 19334 | Location: Ocala Flats | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote