Find
Notify
Tools

Lengthen Ruger M77 action
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of prof242
posted
Has anyone modified a std length (7mmRemMag,.338WinMag) action to handle longer cartridges? How did it work, what was entailed?
I have a left-hand MkII M77.

Posts: 3490 | Location: Colorado Springs, CO | Registered: 04 April 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I think I read an article in a gunrag recently about this modification. They took a Ruger 338Win to 375H&H. Maybe someone else will remember the details.

Posts: 1366 | Location: Houston, TX | Registered: 10 February 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
375 box from an Express, shorten bolt stop and ejector, fit magazine box, if I recall correctly. - Dan

Posts: 5285 | Location: Alberta | Registered: 05 October 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Alberta Canuck
posted Hide Post
Twenty years ago Floyd Fisher (then of Phoenix, AZ, now of Pennsylvania) built a .300 Weatherby 1000-yard bench gun on a standard length M77. It shot half-MOA and better. Perhaps you could make some inquiries through the Pennsylvania 1000-yard BR site and locate Floyd.......

AC

Posts: 9685 | Location: Cave Creek 85331, USA | Registered: 17 August 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I believe Dan is right. If I can find the mag at home this weekend, I'll post the name and issue.

Posts: 1366 | Location: Houston, TX | Registered: 10 February 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I believe this is the article.

-Bob F.

RIFLE Magazine
January - February 2004
Volume 36, Number 1
Number 211

Custom Ruger Model 77 MKII .375 H&H
The article is online here:
http://www.riflemagazine.com/magazine/article.cfm?tocid=1186&magid=84

Posts: 3485 | Location: Houston, Texas | Registered: 22 February 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of prof242
posted Hide Post
Thank you gentlemen for the assistance. Am very behind in my magazine reading, but found the issue of Rifle stuck in the pile. Appreciate all the help.

Posts: 3490 | Location: Colorado Springs, CO | Registered: 04 April 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Quote:

I believe this is the article.

-Bob F.

RIFLE Magazine
January - February 2004
Volume 36, Number 1
Number 211

Yup, that's it.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Was the floorplate changed out to the Express as well?

Posts: 913 | Location: Palmer, Alaska | Registered: 15 June 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
So is it a difficult conversion to do ??

Posts: 7505 | Location: Australia | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Quote:

Was the floorplate changed out to the Express as well?

No. The distance from the front action screw to the triggerguard was not altered.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Reason I ask was, the box sets further to the rear, yes, but does any other modifications need to be made, trigger gaurd etc? Just wondered if the floorplate still covered the box.

Posts: 913 | Location: Palmer, Alaska | Registered: 15 June 2002Reply With Quote