Find
Notify
Tools

Re: got my re-barreled savage back
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of woodseye
posted
The Savages produced for any SM cartridge has a different feed that holds on to the case. Controlled round feed if you may, Savage said they could not get reliable feeding without changing to this on the short fat cases.Good Luck

woods

Posts: 672 | Location: Northern Border Country | Registered: 15 March 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
after 5 months of waiting, i finally got my short action savage back from the gunsmith. i had him install a SS krieger 24" barrel chamber in 300 WSM (the org was a 308). my elation turned to dismay. i was getting ready to load up some rounds and tested the virgin brass in the chamber. to my disbelief, the brass would not eject. it looked like it was getting hung up on the receiver. i proceeded to call my smith and explain the problem. he asked if i had fired the rifle yet and i said no. he then told me he test fired the rifle and it ejected the brass. i then asked if he tried a piece of brass that was un-fired. he then told me he had the same problem with un-fired brass. now my question is, shouldn't the smith have told me about this problem? should he have corrected it before he told me the rifle was finished? if it ejects the fired brass, should i bother to bring it back? he mentioned that the receiver would have to be opened up a bit and re-blued. i have a feeling if he opens up the receiver, he'll was more $$. should he charge me for something that should have been addressed in the beginning? i paid good money to have my rifle re-barreled and it doesn't even function correctly.

Posts: 211 | Location: MT | Registered: 24 January 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Was the brass you tried full length sized and trimmed to proper length before you chambered it? Thats always a good thing to do with virgin brass. After the first firing it will then be sized to your particular chamber. I would try that first. Just f/l size, make sure it is trimmed to proper length, and then chamber and eject it.

one of us
Picture of prof242
posted Hide Post
If this is happening, the gunsmith should fix it. I have a switch-barreled Rem 700 short-action with both 6.5 WSM and .338 WSM barrels. It had the same problem with feeding that yours has. My 'smith said it is a common problem with the WSM cases and he fixed my rifle so no further problems.

Posts: 3490 | Location: Colorado Springs, CO | Registered: 04 April 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
the brass is the correct length. in addition, it fits into the chamber readily.

i just found another problem. when i put 2 rounds in the magazine and try to chamber a round, the first round pops out of the magazine/receiver and hits the ground. the last round chambers easily.

now i am having reservations about bringing the rifle back to him. his work is obviously questionable. kinda stuck between a rock and a hard spot.

one of us
posted Hide Post
i see midway sells a controlled feed bolt head for the WSM. i take it, if this is installed, the rifle would have to be head spaced again. this really sucks, because i told him midway sells the correct bolt head. furthermore, it appears he did not install a larger recoil lug. is a larger one needed?

one of us
Picture of bowhuntrrl
posted Hide Post
Quote:

The Savages produced for any SM cartridge has a different feed that holds on to the case. Controlled round feed if you may, Savage said they could not get reliable feeding without changing to this on the short fat cases.Good Luck

woods

Not really true. I bought a Savage in .270 WSM. It was a special run called a short/long on a laminate stock built for one particular distributor. The gun has a push feed bolt and it will feed empty, unsized brass from the mag well flawlessly. This is a short mag on a long action. That special bolt head is a nice idea, but IMHO judging from my WSM, not really needed.

bowhuntr

Posts: 931 | Location: Somewhere....... | Registered: 07 October 2002Reply With Quote