Find
Notify
Tools

What style stock??
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Wstrnhuntr
posted
I'd like some opinions as to what style of stock to employ for a 1903 Springfield 30-06. I was considering a Monte Carlo but cant really decide, perhaps something more classic??

Suggestions appreciated, pics greatly appreciated.

Posts: 10173 | Location: Tooele, Ut | Registered: 27 September 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Wstrnhuntr,
Is this going to be for field use, scope or iron sights? Layout the parameters. If it is for hunting with a scope, I would go with a classic style, no monte carlo and a top butt line basically parallel with the bore and 5/8" to 3/4" below the centerline of the bore. The rest is up to you, well even the preceeding is.

Posts: 4917 | Location: Wenatchee, WA, USA | Registered: 17 December 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I second Chic's opinion. A classic rifle like the Springfield really deserves a classic stock. I went with a classic on mine and have had many folks comment on how well the style matches the rifle. I've got a 98 in 35 Whelen that sports an early style radical Weatherby Monte Carlo and it just doesn't look right. One of these days it's gonna go.

Posts: 8169 | Location: humboldt | Registered: 10 April 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Wstrnhuntr
posted Hide Post
It is a scoped rifle and it will see field use. I want something rather classic but with an American accent, but not the run of the mill factory style.

Posts: 10173 | Location: Tooele, Ut | Registered: 27 September 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Wstrnhuntr
posted Hide Post
Quote:

I second Chic's opinion. A classic rifle like the Springfield really deserves a classic stock. I went with a classic on mine and have had many folks comment on how well the style matches the rifle. I've got a 98 in 35 Whelen that sports an early style radical Weatherby Monte Carlo and it just doesn't look right. One of these days it's gonna go.

I wouldnt want anything that radical, just a slight variation from the usual classic is all I had in mind. None of that rollover or thumbhole nonsense either.

one of us
posted Hide Post
A bad picture of some classic rifles, all iron sighted. Left to right, Shelhamer-Niedner, R.G. (Bob) Owen, G&H, Fred Adolph, and Ludwig Wundhammer.

One of Us
Picture of Wstrnhuntr
posted Hide Post
Thanks 2mp, and Welcome!

The 2nd from the left is real close to what Ive had in mind. To me, a swept back grip and rounded cheekpiece is just a little to euro looking for a Springfield.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
2mp,
You have some really nice rifles and are very knowledgeable. Glad you joined the site.

Posts: 4917 | Location: Wenatchee, WA, USA | Registered: 17 December 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Thanks guys, I have spent more years than I like to admit collecting, studying, and researching the pre-1940 American custom gunmaker (shotgun as well as rifle). I spend a great deal of time these days looking for information on �Unknown� makers that did not mark their work. Information on these early makers is disappearing fast and it seems like a race against the clock. Now that I�m retired I can spend more time online searching for information. If any have questions now or in the future about the early makers I would be glad to try and answer them. I have a large databases on many of the makers who used serial numbers such as Hoffman, Niedner and G&H and I would welcome more info or look for a gun you might have.

Michael Petrov / Alaska
mjpetrov@acsalaska.net

one of us
posted Hide Post
Michael,

Nice set of articles in Precision Shooting a few years ago on custom gunmakers. Welcome to the forum.

Brian

Posts: 306 | Location: Originally from Texas | Registered: 17 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Idared
posted Hide Post
Here is one of my Springfield 1903s.

Not as old as Mike's beautiful rifles, but patterned somewhat after them. Comb is high enough to use a scope and definately low enough for open sights even though I haven't gotten around to installing them on the quarter rib.

Yes, it also features one of those "Ugly" oval cheekpieces and an open grip, which many dislike so much. This style fits my long fingered hand very nicely and has pretty much become standard equipment on all my custom stocks.

I will agree that the fore-end was a one time venture only though.

Posts: 845 | Location: Central Washington State | Registered: 12 February 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have never used them, but you might take a look at GREAT AMERICAN GUNSTOCK COMPANY and have a look at their GRIFFIN AND HOWE stocks. I think they make one for iron sights only, or with a little higher comb for scope use. It seems like G&H used to use quite a few 03's for custom guns. Just a thought...

Posts: 1669 | Location: Colorado, USA | Registered: 11 November 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Idared,
That is the best looking Springfield I have seen in a long time. I would prefer an ebony tip and a fuller forearm but I still really like it.

I also very much like those "butt ugly" pancake-oval-British or what ever anyone wants to call them cheekpieces.

I built one that looked very much like it about 20 years ago but a guy wanted it more than I did and was more than generous.

Posts: 67 | Location: Eddington,Maine, | Registered: 07 December 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I don't know what happened to this thing.I clicked the button to post and it took at least 5 minutes to post and posted 3 times.

Posts: 67 | Location: Eddington,Maine, | Registered: 07 December 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Wstrnhuntr
posted Hide Post
Thats an interesting variation Idared, thanks for posting it. Ive got that ugly oval cheekpiece on a few Mausers myself. I like schnabel forends too. To each their own I guess.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Ron, you stuttered.
I agree with you, that Springfield is very nice.

One of Us
Picture of Wstrnhuntr
posted Hide Post
Quote:

I have never used them, but you might take a look at GREAT AMERICAN GUNSTOCK COMPANY and have a look at their GRIFFIN AND HOWE stocks. I think they make one for iron sights only, or with a little higher comb for scope use. It seems like G&H used to use quite a few 03's for custom guns. Just a thought...

Took a look, I like it! Thanks!

one of us
posted Hide Post
Idared, where did you get that stock pattern?

Posts: 360 | Location: PA | Registered: 29 September 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Brian, Thanks, I am still turning them out, sent in number twenty last week.

Idared, Nice looking rifle, if everyone liked the same thing we would buy our rifles at the box store.

I like most of the older classic cheekpieces, this is one of my favorites from a first year G&H.

one of us
Picture of Idared
posted Hide Post
2mp

I always liked that particular style of Griffen & Howe also. Much better than their later style. Here is one like I always desired to own, although most likely never will.

Posts: 845 | Location: Central Washington State | Registered: 12 February 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Idared
posted Hide Post
Since my brother is at the US Grand Prix this weekend in Indianapolis, I will post a picture of his Springfield done by one of the masters Michael writes about in Precision Shooting.

A nice speciman turned out by the late Alvin Linden.

one of us
Picture of Idared
posted Hide Post
DeBee

That particular stock style started life out as a Reinhart Fajen "Europeon Special" model. It was a plain jane American walnut stock that was shaped by my stockmaker to the present specs. It was then used as a pattern to duplicate the stock for that Springfield from a Bastogne walnut blank. The pattern is in the process of being fitted to another 1903 at the present time. Once all fitting is done it will be used to duplicate another stock from a blank.

This style is very similar to the one Midway sell as the "Europeon Classic" today and no doubt is a refinement from the original Fajen model. Here is a stock for a rifle being put together that used one of those Midway stocks for a pattern to duplicate. You can see the similarities in it I'm sure.

One of Us
Picture of Wstrnhuntr
posted Hide Post
Idared,

Your brothers Springfield looks great! Love it! To me, that stock style says, this is an american classic! The others are not too shabby too!

Your making me think about having my scope holes filled and going with a front globe sight, my '03 had the scope bases and a buehler saftey on when I got it, but it also has a Williams peep base on the side. Did I mention that I like your brothers rifle?

Rodger should see that floorlate and grip cap, that kind of talent never ceases to amaze me.

one of us
Picture of fla3006
posted Hide Post
2mp, Idared & others, those are stunning. I've only owned one Springfield sporter but it had a more traditional American style stock (heavier). Those pics give me inspiration. Think I may have to look for a high number Springfield action and get started on a new project.

Posts: 9487 | Location: Texas Hill Country | Registered: 11 January 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Idared
posted Hide Post
Another nice Griffin & Howe on a Springfield action. This one a mannlicher style.

one of us
posted Hide Post
All right guys, here are three more Springfields, all 03's (one is a Mark I).

I am in the process of building up a rifle for my stepfather, and the stock that I was going to model on was the rifle in the middle. This is the first rifle he owned as a teenager, shot the original 06 barrel out and is now 257 roberts. But this is the stock he is most comfortable with.

Do you all think I would be better off going with the top stock as the model? I am going to change the forend to be more svelt ala euro big game rifles (It is going to be a 416 Taylor). The top rifle is my 308 Norma (the bottom is my stepfathers) I have only shot it 5 times since buying it 3 years ago, more toys then I have time for I guess :-) It seems like it would work well for both scope and iron sites.

Sorry for hijacking the thread.

Red

Posts: 4740 | Location: Fresno, CA | Registered: 21 March 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Wstrnhuntr
posted Hide Post
Your not hijacking, your contributing.

Wouldnt the drop in the comb on your top rifle be a bit much for a scoped 416 R?

Ive been whitteling up a practice stock from an old '98 stock today to see what I come up with. At this point Ive got a cheekpiece that Peter would be proud of. It needs some more work..

Nice to see Im not the only one who approves of Monte Carlos on a Springfield though.

Keep the excellent pics coming guys, Im lovin it!

one of us
posted Hide Post
See, that is what I need to hear, I don't know enough about stocks yet to know what is too much drop or not. the stocks that seem to fit me best I could not say for sure what the reason is. One has a big monte carlo with rollover, the other no cheekpiece at all. go figure.

The second stock is a safe bet for the scoped use, which will be the primary shooting it gets, but I don't know how it will be for iron.

I do have another springfield with a monte Carlo on it, but didn't put a pic, next time I open the safe I will try to pull it out and snap a shot (no laughing though, I bought it that way and have no idea who used a little round punch to make the patterns rather than have it checkered).

But my stepfather doesn't like cheekpieces, and although it is a gift and will knock his socks off to get it, I want to do it the way "his dream rifle" would be.

Red

Posts: 4740 | Location: Fresno, CA | Registered: 21 March 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Wow, Great pictures everyone.

2MP those molding on that G&H simply stunning. Really shows the outstanding ability of the stock maker there.

Only several more months and I will have some stock pictures myself. Makes waiting on my 03 to be complete that much harder.

Posts: 513 | Location: MO | Registered: 14 March 2003Reply With Quote