New
Find
Notify
Tools

Re: Help selecting barrel for a 300 Mag build up
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
The 300 Win Mag has two fundamental problems. One is that the magazine boxes are too short to seat the bullets out or if you will the neck of the cartridge is too short to hold long bullets.

The other is the headspace problems with belted cases.

Alternatives are to chamber it for the 308 Norma and make brass from 300 WM's or 338's etc. or to get a 300 WSM or 300 RUM.

Posts: 5543 | Registered: 09 December 2002Reply With Quote
<eldeguello>
posted
I agree with Savage99. Build a .308 Norma. It's a better round!

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Is the .300 RUM really the new .300 win mag?? I mean is it what the .300 winnie should have been ??

I have just put on layaway a cz 550 .300 winnie and am wodering if reaming to .300 RUM woul be a smart move with tha big action ??

Posts: 7505 | Location: Australia | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Savage 99 is dilusional. There is absolutely nothing wrong with the 300 win mag! Haven't we been down this road before?

Chuck

PS, the 300 win mags that I have owned have been the easiest cartridges to work with out of any thing I have ever loaded for.

Posts: 2659 | Location: Southwestern Alberta | Registered: 08 March 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of jorge
posted Hide Post
Man, how many times have we heard that GUFF about the 300 Win Mag's short neck and belted case? There's a very good reason as to why that round is in the top five when it comes to sales. I've never had a problem loading 200gr bullets in the 300, shortened case life of headspace issues due to the belt. Besides it has NOTHING to do with the original question. I think Kriegers, Liljas will do quite nicely thank you. Maybe Allen will pitch in with his observations on the 300. jorge

Posts: 7149 | Location: Orange Park, Florida. USA | Registered: 22 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of M1Tanker
posted Hide Post
You should have zero problems with the 300wm. If you want to seat your bullets out a little farther order the longer magazine box from Remington. (I think the 338wm is the next longer box up but not sure) I have 3 300wm's and have used Shilen and Badger barrels. All are sub-MOA with my handloads. I have never tried factory loads so dont know what they would do.

The #3 contour doesnt leave much room to work with for fluting. The amount of steel between the bore and exterior of the barrel is pretty thin. A fluted #4 would possibly weigh less than a standard #3 depending on the #, length, and depth of the flutes. Plus you would have a stiffer barrel contour. One of my 300's has a 26" #4 fluted contour with a McMillan stock and it is easy to carry in the field.

Good luck and you will enjoy your 300wm.

Posts: 3155 | Location: Rigby, ID | Registered: 20 March 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of JBabcock
posted Hide Post
Go take a look at a Weatherby Ultra Light in 300 Weatherby or 300 Winchester. Those barrels are a #2 contour, and they are fluted. It can be done, the fluting of the barrel just can't be as deep.

one of us
posted Hide Post
WOW !! I post one question a month, and it's the same shit. I wasn't interested in other calibers. Thanks for the applicable insight. I am sure my 'smith will be able to do something about the throating and lead to get me up and running accordingly.

As for the fluting, that's what I figured with the remaining metal thickness.

I'd set it up for 180 grains exclusively.

Posts: 346 | Location: Las Cruces, New Mexico | Registered: 05 January 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I am forgoing other wants and wishes, and having a 300 Win Mag build on my Rem 700 LH action. While not wanting to get really expensive and having the reciever and bolt lightened, I want to save some "easy" weight.

I want a 26" tube in a #3 contour, and was going to use Pac Nor. I've been warned that it isn't wise to flute this contour. Why, and would a #4 fluted weight close to an unfluted #3 ??

Anyone get a McMillan Edge stock and if so, is there a real advantage in weight/composition to the regular ???

Not sure if they are available in all modles or not. Probably have to suck hind tit again being a lefty.

Any additional build up tips for a 300 Win Mag or gremlins to watch out for ??

Posts: 346 | Location: Las Cruces, New Mexico | Registered: 05 January 2002Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Jesse,

PacNor, Shilen, Lilja, Hart, Krieger, and Schneider, all make excellent barrels. Pick the higher grade of barrel (if available), and select your twist rate based on the bearing surface of the bullet(s) you want to use.

Taking an inch or two off the length of the barrel will reduce weight more than fluting. Yes, you'll lose some velocity, but the gun will be lighter and handier.

I haven't looked at the McMillan Edge stock, but Brown Precision makes a very lightweight stock. I have two of them on my Remington 700FS rifles, and they are wonderful.

Unless you plan on shooting very long bullets, the 'short' neck of the .300Win. shouldn't be an issue. Even then, use of Redding Type S bushing dies to control neck tension will take care of any theoretical problems (written by gun writers who should have tested the cartrdige BEFOREHAND) due to neck length.

The longer magazine box and follower may allow you to seat bullets to a longer COAL than 'normal'. It's cheap enough to try out.

Good luck, my left-handed brother!

George

Posts: 14623 | Location: San Antonio, TX | Registered: 22 May 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of M1Tanker
posted Hide Post
Jorge,
I couldnt agree more. Just look at how many long range records the 300 winnie holds. Both the Army and Marine rifle teams use 300wm's for their long range rifles. And the huge majority of our Olympic shooters come from the Army team. That says a lot for the round all by itself. It is a proven and trustworthy round. There may be faster and hotter rounds but the 300wm can do anything any of the so called super 30's can and just as well.

Posts: 3155 | Location: Rigby, ID | Registered: 20 March 2004Reply With Quote