New
Find
Notify
Tools

Jefferies Stock Pattern?
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Last month at the local gun show, I had the pleasure of handling a .500 Jefferies rifle made by Jefferies on an Enfield action.

The sewer pipe diameter barrel looked a little unusual to me but the metalwork, fitting and proportioning were outstanding. What continues to haunt me is the way the stock fit and felt to me- it was as near perfect as I have ever experienced- I actually was thinking I could probably shoot this gun! The gun had to be heavy but handled like it was half the weight.

I am wondering if anyone knows someone with a Jefferies stock pattern for duplication. I'm thinking of stocking a Pre 64 .30-06 identically with a nice red stick of French walnut.

Any information, links, or advice appreciated...

Thanks

Posts: 360 | Location: PA | Registered: 29 September 2001Reply With Quote
<JBelk>
posted
DeBee---

I have pictures of Jefferies on Mausers but not the P-14. I would imagine they're different in the receiver but the butt and forend will be close.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
DeeBee,
I did this one on a FN Mauser 98 pattern.

-

-

[ 12-08-2002, 10:32: Message edited by: Customstox ]

Posts: 4917 | Location: Wenatchee, WA, USA | Registered: 17 December 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Gator1
posted Hide Post
I have a 404 Jefferys and I agree with DeBee that it is the best feeling and fitting rifle I have ever handled. That would include David Millers, Biesens and other English makers.

My question is could it be duplicated without damaging the original? Could it be duplicated to a smaller caliber?

Posts: 2753 | Location: Climbing the Mountains of Liberal BS. | Registered: 31 July 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Nitroman
posted Hide Post
I handled a .404 Jeff by Jeff at "The Gun Room" in Anchorage. A small antique store that has a few British rifles. They sure had a different idea of how a rifle should be made. Very slender grip and forearm, which was somewhat pear shaped. It fit right into my hand. Holding this rifle was like an extension of my arms, simply amazing.

Chic, you should have-to-have a permit to post a picture like that, I almost shorted out my laptop with a huge gob of drool...exquisite.

There is a gunshop here that has an original Model B Mauser in 7x57. It has been well used; $800.00. I have come to the conclusion of you want to have the original style you have to purchase an original and then duplicate it.

Posts: 1844 | Location: Southwest Alaska | Registered: 28 February 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Yep, Chic's got it right... Saved that one to desktop... Pure Art.

Maybe it was the slender and longer grip of the Jeffery rifle. And the balance. The short tapered forearm helps too...

So, Chic, did you just pick up your patternmakers rasp, a chunk of walnut and have at it? Did you start from a pattern? How long is that forearm from the receiver? Did you stain the stock?

Mr. Belk- pics of the Jefferys on Mauser actions would be helpful. I could add them to my 'rifles with beautiful lines' file...

I thought a stock duplicator like the Hoening or Dakota? just traced the outline of the stock- how would it be damaged? Am I misunderstanding something?

The stocks I have made (from semi-inlets) now feel like 2x4s since handling that rifle... I'm ruined for anything else.

Posts: 360 | Location: PA | Registered: 29 September 2001Reply With Quote
<JBelk>
posted
DeBee---

You'll find about 80% of the great feel of an English gun is in the cast-off. It makes a tremendous difference.

These are acouple of scans from Olson's book on the Mauser.

-

-

one of us
posted Hide Post
DeBee,
Jim Brockman has my English pattern that I gave him a copy of, and it is just about perfect, very simuliar to Jefferys, Holland and Holland, and looks like the picture that chic shows....I also have a Holland and Holland pattern..my pattern, Rigbys pattern, the Mauser patterns, in fact I have most of them..

Jack Belk has seen them all as has Brockman..I suspect we could work something out, as long as the patterns didn't get to far away from home.

Perhaps I could send my old pattern out to a good pattern maker I know, as mine has about had it...you could have him make one for you and one for me..Patterns that is...

Posts: 42158 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
<RussT>
posted
You might check with Bob Swezda through Well's Sports Store. In addition to his own designs he has access to Mr. Well's collection of stocks. http://www.cutrifle.com/