Find
Notify
Tools

Where to find a Win M70 bolt shround...
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Hey guys,
I'm asking for help finding a part. The gun, a Winchester M70 in 270 Win., was my FIRST gun purchase when I bought it new in 1975. CoolSome years ago, the pin that holds the bolt shroud attached to, and covering, the back of the bolt broke, causing me to lose the bolt shroud. I found a replacement bolt shroud/pin from Numrich Arms for about $5. About 10 years ago, this happened again. At the time, I couldn't find one anywhere, including Numrich Arms. EekerThe closest I found was to buy a new replacement bolt. Through the years, Win changed the construction of the bolt. Whereas the old bolt had a separate shroud (looked kinda like a sewing thimble) that covered the back of the bolt and was retained w/ a pin, the newer bolt has a shroud that's built into the bolt. Instead, I bought a roll-pin from a supply house to make the gun functional. Since then, I've transitioned to using handguns for all my deer hunting so have shot the 270 very little. Nevertheless, I'd decided again try and repair the gun. Wink

First, does anyone have any good suggestions as to where I should look for the parts? Second, I've always worried whether the action is safe as it's currently set up, just using the roll pin at the rear of the action. Does anyone know for certain?
Confused Thanks.

Good luck and good hunting.

Posts: 491 | Location: Springhill, LA | Registered: 27 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Hey: Just send the rifle to a compotent gunsmith and have fix it once and for all. Try Jim Kobe

Posts: 2221 | Location: Tacoma, WA | Registered: 31 October 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I found my notes from the last time I looked for the part. Don't know if it helps any, but it's actually called the "bolt sleeve cap and pin."

Duane, thanks for the suggestion. Do you have a ph # or email address for Jim Kobe?

Posts: 491 | Location: Springhill, LA | Registered: 27 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Gary T:
Do you have a ph # or email address for Jim Kobe?

Jim posts here. Look at his profile for contact information such as mail address. Or you can PM here...

http://forums.accuratereloadin...age=profile&u=129108

- mike

The rifle is a noble weapon... It entices its bearer into primeval forests, into mountains and deserts untenanted by man. - Horace Kephart

Posts: 6653 | Location: Switzerland | Registered: 11 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Thanks, Mike. Big Grin

One of Us
posted Hide Post
The last one I did, I just made it using a duplicate from a donor rifle. They're not to bad to make. Another option

Blagg Rifles, Eastern OR

Posts: 103 | Location: Eastern Oregon | Registered: 06 August 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
blagg,
Yah, that's a pretty obvious option that had eluded me..... Roll Eyes Thanks. A Winkny idea whether or not there are any safety concerns using a roll pin as opposed to the factory pin. In other words, is the shooter at risk for injury if the roll pin breaks? Eeker