New
Find
Notify
Tools

Need Help w/ Rem 700 extractor ??
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I bought a Rem 700 Long action w/o a bolt. I obtained a bolt which seems to fit fine(goes w/ go gage and doesn't go w/ no go gage). Problem was extraction. Extractor ring was weak, sliding around inside bolt face and failed to extract about 1/2 the time. My smith ordered and put in a new extractor ring today but still failed to extract all the time. It is the type w/o the rivet. We are searching for the answer as rifle shoots great, I just need to get it to extract. Please advise asap, many thanx,, Doc Stone PS- on the lighter side I'm a Dentist and you'd think I'd know the extraction thing..

one of us
posted Hide Post
Is the bolt face the correct size for the case head?
gunmaker

one of us
posted Hide Post
I am not a gunsmith by any stretch but it seemed to be the same size as a 25-06 bolt I had to compare to. All I tried to do was measure across the inside diameter of the ring of steel which encompasses the extractor ring and it was the same as best I could tell, but how many different sizes of bolt faces is there as I know this ring was not big enough to digest a 7mm Rem mag case. Ignorance is not always blissful.. thanx and advise , Doc Stone I forgot to say this bolt is now in a 270win Rem. mountain rifle, sorry. Doc

one of us
posted Hide Post
Is it possible that the extractor could be soldered in place? My older 700 has the non-riveted extractor but the only way to make is move is to push it with a screwdriver, otherwise it says put.

Posts: 852 | Location: Austin | Registered: 24 October 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
thanx for the response: No I don't think the extractor was soldered , I am just worried that the ext. problem has to do with the head space of the bastard bolt.. .Hope somone w/ experience can tell me what to do now?? Doc Stone

one of us
posted Hide Post
Sounds like a good canidate for a sako style extractor. Rich

Posts: 113 | Location: WIsconsin | Registered: 22 July 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Did your gunsmith shape the extrator to the correct dimension before he installed it? I have also had new ones without the proper temper, and there is nothing to do but try another.
Was the one you took out the rivetless design also?

www.duanesguns.com

Posts: 869 | Location: N Dakota | Registered: 29 December 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Yes the one we took out was the rivetless type also. It was in such bad shape it broke in pieces getting it out, but the new one seemed to be snug inside the ring but still failed to extract about half the time with a new shell. go figure?? thanx, Doc

one of us
posted Hide Post
How freely does it move around?

Posts: 852 | Location: Austin | Registered: 24 October 2003Reply With Quote