New
Find
Notify
Tools

M70 Production numbers.
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Anyone happen to know just how many M70's were produced from introduction to the shut down? Be nice to have a number to counter the guy who thinks his is now worth 2k. As in what part of 1 million 300 thousand m70's out there makes you think this one is special?

one of us
posted Hide Post
Loonie - Lots of different M70s. Which ones do you mean?

Arizona Mountains

Posts: 1560 | Location: Arizona Mountains | Registered: 11 October 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
If your asking about pre 64's, R. L. Wilson's book, "Winchester An American Legend", says the final pre 64 Model 70 had serial #581471. The appendix shows the same number in the production figures .

Posts: 8169 | Location: humboldt | Registered: 10 April 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I am talking the total numer of Winchester rifles produced from day 1 to the factory shut down in MArch htat bore the model designator "M70". I don't care if its pre or post or fwt or SS. All I know is some gunshops want 1k for a friken plain jane M70 as they are "collectors" now that they aren't made any more.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
There is an article in the Sept/Oct issue of Rifle magazine by Brian Pearce.. it lists the total production of Model 70s as less than 600,000 pre 64s, and thru March 06 post 64s reached more than 2,345,000.. HTH.. Les

Posts: 431 | Location: Wyoming/ Idaho, St Joe river | Registered: 17 November 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Part of the problem with the numbers is that Winchester/Olin/USRA has used many differnet sets or blocks of numbers over the years.

Examples.
USRA LH Classic action, #G332xxx

Winchester/Olin
M670A, #G211xxx.
This model was only made from 1967 to 1972, so how did the number end up so low.

In the mid 70's I sold lots of M70A's that said M70 on the barrel. Olin used M70 barreled actions and put them into the blind magazine stock. This was to use them up because the XTR came out and the markings were differnet.

I have handled two POST 64 M70 rifles in the 696xxx number range. And have one in the the shop now with a number of 7001xx

And not forget the Sears M53 that had another number block to boot.

Also the Custom shop had their set of numbers.

You will spend a lot of time scratching your head trying to figure out the serial numbers vs the mfg dates most of the time.

Jim Wisner
Custom Metalsmith
Former Winchester Service center

Posts: 1452 | Location: Chehalis, Washington | Registered: 02 April 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Loonie,

Give it another couple of months, like right after this coming hunting season and you will see all those dealers and others who think the price for a model 70 should be 1K-2K start sweating bullets, when they are stuck with them for another year. The regular ones will come back down to where they were, however, the Safari models may still command somewhat of a premium due to the fact that they were not made in as large a number. That said, even they will come down considerably. Most people will just buy a Ruger RSM for $1200-$1500. I hope those that are trying to screw someone get what they deserve. You don't see many stock market "day traders" anymore do you. The bubble will bust sooner rather than later.

Woody

Posts: 4115 | Location: Pa. | Registered: 21 April 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Vibe
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Loonie:
I am talking the total numer of Winchester rifles produced from day 1 to the factory shut down in MArch htat bore the model designator "M70". I don't care if its pre or post or fwt or SS. All I know is some gunshops want 1k for a friken plain jane M70 as they are "collectors" now that they aren't made any more.

Let's not forget the "off branded" versions - like my Ted Williams Model 53 - which is in fact a model 70 with a different roll mark.

The opinion of 10,000 men is of no value if none of them know anything about the subject.
- Marcus Aurelius -

Posts: 211 | Location: Little Rock, AR. USA | Registered: 23 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I am all for business owners getting what they can for their wares. DO I think a lot of things are worth what the cost in $$? No. Does my opinion matter? Hell no. ANytime something popular goes out of production, the prices will rise if the demand is still there. I am assuming you are in AMerica. We are still a free country and you don't have to pay that money if you don't want to. But you throwing production figures at a store owner will not change his mind. You could wind up insulting him and he will raise th esale price to you. With so many M70's out there, just keep shopping around until you find one that you feel is a good value. If you don't have to have one right now, then I am sure you can find one that you feel is priced at a point that is "fair" in your opinion.

Posts: 2509 | Location: Kisatchie National Forest, LA | Registered: 20 October 2004Reply With Quote