New
Find
Notify
Tools

Another Book review (SDH's books)
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
We just saw a thread with some of the craftsmanship of Steven Dodd Hughes on a double barrel. This thread inspired me to order his 2 books this weekend and I have received both from different sources. I feel compelled to share my thoughts about them with fellow AR addicts. These won’t be in-depth, just general opinions.

I am a gun bubba of the worst sort, no patience and even less skill. That however, doesn't keep me from appreciating the work of gentlemen (and gentlewomen) who have skills far superior to any I will ever possess. One thing I can do is shoot photographs and I must say that SDH’s are outstanding. He shows detail that is awesome in content and allows one to almost touch the piece involved. They illustrate the exquisite lines and attention to detail that separates exceptional work from good. I am quite convinced that a stockmaker or metalsmith must possess a large degree of artistic talent. It is simply translated onto wood and steel instead of canvas.

The first book is Fine Gunmaking Double Shotguns, it is an excellent book for someone who’s interested in a custom shotgun and carries over into the rifle world with it’s discussions of wood, finishing and styles. It is not a how to book, but it will educate the reader to the point that they might be able to convey their desires to a smith if they are seeking this type of work. If experienced enough, it would even serve as a “guide†to design and finishing of a fine firearm.

The second book is Custom Rifles in black & white. It displays the work of more masters than I care to think about. The studies of each rifle, and there are many bolt, singleshot and lever examples, are well illustrated and discussed in some detail. And yes, there are ample examples of SDH’s work.

To study these pictures enables me to see what separates mediocrity from excellence and hopefully I will be able to transfer some of that to future projects of my own. In addition, it gives me the opportunity to refer back to an excellent reference when I am stumped (and I will be) on how something should look. If that isn’t enough, there is a treasure trove of exquisite firearms to look at, and that should be reason enough alone.
So if you have some spare change, get these while they are available and I am sure you will enjoy them. Good books like good whiskey just get better with age.

Thaine
"Begging hands and bleeding hearts will always cry out for more..." Ayn Rand

"Life may not be the party we hoped for, but while we are here, we might as well dance" Jeanne C. Stein

Posts: 730 | Location: New Mexico USA | Registered: 02 July 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of fla3006
posted Hide Post
Since I am a custom rifle nut, I particularly like his rifle book. One can get all kinds of ideas for projects as well as aspire to that level of craftsmanship. Highly recommended.

NRA Life Member, Band of Bubbas Charter Member, PGCA, DRSS.
Shoot & hunt with vintage classics.

Posts: 9487 | Location: Texas Hill Country | Registered: 11 January 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
What bothers me is that he promised us another one and I ain't seen it yet anywhere. lol

By the way Thaine, if you like books about fine Rifles, you would really enjoy the fairly new book by Tom Turpin on David Miller and Curt Crum as well as his other two books on custom rifles an engraving.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Thaine, I 100% agree on the excellence of SDH's books. Some of the best training a stockmaker can have is to carefully study the great pics in these.
SDH has also been kind enough to give me some direct suggestions on my own stocks that I was able to incorporate. Having him and other Master Craftsman willing to share their time on this forum is like having Ted Williams and Micky Mantel helping a little league baseball player. It's a great thing to have this on the internet.
I'll be looking for Shooting Sportsman next time I'm in a bookstore. And count me in on the first two copies of SDH's newest books!.............DJ

....Remember that this is all supposed to be for fun!..................

Posts: 3976 | Location: Oklahoma,USA | Registered: 27 February 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by SDH:
.....and I've studied the 300 or so gun books in my library and cherish most of them.....

SDH,
300 or so gun books sounds like a pretty decent sort of library!
I’ve got your books and a number of other fairly recently published works (last 10 years or so). If you have a moment could you list a few of your favorite older books? I’m particularly interested in some of the older classics on gun making that maybe don’t get referenced very often nowadays.

- stu

Posts: 1210 | Location: Zurich | Registered: 02 January 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
You've simple got to get these gun book as soon as they come out or they will soon disappear.

The whole point behind my starting this thread. If you don't get books of interest when they come out, you may never get them or wind up paying through the nose later. They are too valuable a treasure not to include in your collection. I have a first edition Sutherland Colt book my parents bought me in 1970/71 for $50. I have seen these go for $700 since then. Mines not for sale, but it is a treasure used just this weekend to identify a Colt Officers model I bought as 1930 production. I recently bought a copy of Clawson's "Collector's Guide to Colt .45 Service Pistols: Models of 1911 and 1911A1" to aid in restoring a 1913 production Colt Navy Slide 1911 I have. It wasn't cheap. So if a book comes out on a subject you are interested in, get a copy!

Thaine

"Life may not be the party we hoped for, but while we are here, we might as well dance" Jeanne C. Stein

Posts: 730 | Location: New Mexico USA | Registered: 02 July 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Well, thanks for the list. I must be on the right track as I do have a number of those already, but there are also a couple you mentioned I haven't heard of. Something for me to work on.

Yes, I was at Reno in 2004. I cornered you briefly as you were doing the rounds of the tables. Nice of you to remember.

- stu

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Stu, here's the link to Michael Petrov's list that SDH referred to. These are all very useful and informative.

https://forums.accuratereloading.com/eve/forums/a/tp.../417103312#417103312

Thaine

one of us
posted Hide Post
Thaine,
Thanks for that link. I definately missed it first time round.
- stu

one of us
posted Hide Post
I just found this link on Espingarda Perfeyta (the Perfect Gun). Maybe someone else will find it interesting. I did.

http://homepages.tig.com.au/~dispater/perfectgun.htm

- stu

One of Us
Picture of richj
posted Hide Post
I've had this one in my cart for a week, " Custom Rifles in black & white" I guess I'll buy it :-)

Posts: 6440 | Location: NY, NY | Registered: 28 November 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Mr. Hughes-
I have been meaning to get your Custom Rifles in Black and White for some time but havn't gotten to it yet. You mentioned that you might be selling them directly, could you post contact information with which I could order a copy?

Thank you.

Jay Kolbe

Posts: 767 | Location: Seeley Lake Montana | Registered: 17 April 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
SDH, In the spirit of this post about buying good gun books I just picked up a book tonight hopeing that it would be a good one. The book is "A.H. Fox "The Finest Gun in the World" by Michael McIntosh. It was the only one in the store was plastic wrapped to prevent in-store review. I hope it's a good one, have you read it?
I'm going to try from now on as much as possible to pick up the good gun books when I see them since you usually only luck upon them once. Maybe if they sell quickly enough the authors can afford to write a few more of them! I'll consider it a small contribution to art and artists (albeit a somewhat selfish one).... Smiler..............DJ

Posts: 3976 | Location: Oklahoma,USA | Registered: 27 February 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Steve, You are far too generous in many ways, Thank you much. I can't wait.............DJ