Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Mauser Scope Mount
 Login/Join

posted
Is there a mount/ring combination which will permit an unmodified bent bolt of a Mauser 98 to clear a scope.High mount indeed I know.The customer would rather not modify the bolt handle.Thanks for any help.Frank

one of us
Picture of ramrod340
posted Hide Post
Well you can mount it out front like a scout. On the side like the old lever actions did.

I'm not aware of anything that would get it high enough. Unless maybe one of those see through. It would still be a b!tch to work the bolt.

When I've had customers (in my real job) like that sometimes it best to let someone else do the work. Can't see him being happy.

As usual just my $.02
Paul K

Posts: 12881 | Location: Mexico, MO | Registered: 02 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Riodot
posted Hide Post
I searched for 6 months for a mount that would do that - I gave up and had the bolt work done.

Boy, am I glad I did - super high rings and mounts would have looked silly on my rifle.

Lance

Lance Larson Studio

lancelarsonstudio.com

Posts: 933 | Location: Casa Grande, AZ | Registered: 11 June 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
You might check out the Iron Elite. They even have them for straight handled bolts.

http://www.iron-elite.com/order.html

Rad

NRA Benefactor Member

Posts: 344 | Location: Bean Town in the worthless nut state | Registered: 23 July 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ramrod340
posted Hide Post
quote:
You might check out the Iron Elite. They even have them for straight handled bolts.

It's a good day when I learn something new. Thanks.

As usual just my $.02
Paul K

Posts: 12881 | Location: Mexico, MO | Registered: 02 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post

Posts: 184 | Location: Missouri | Registered: 15 November 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Depending on how long you make the length of pull, some early scope sights had eye relief long enough to mount low and ahead of the bolt handle: K2.5 and K4 Weaver up through the A series, Lyman Alaskan, Noskes. Generally a sidemount was used: Griffin & Howe, Jaeger, or the simple and inexpensive Weaver detachable. All this stuff pops up on Ebay fairly often.

Posts: 1233 | Registered: 25 November 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Rusty Marlin
posted Hide Post
http://www.iron-elite.com/vz24.html

shows a scope on a VZ24 staight bolt. Goofy looking, but that's just opinion.

Rusty's Action Works
Montross VA.
Action work for Cowboy Shooters &
Manufacturer of Stylized Rigby rifle sights. http://i61.photobucket.com/alb.../th_isofrontleft.jpg

Posts: 863 | Location: Northern Neck Va | Registered: 14 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Bent Fossdal
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Centurion:
Is there a mount/ring combination which will permit an unmodified bent bolt of a Mauser 98 to clear a scope.High mount indeed I know.The customer would rather not modify the bolt handle.Thanks for any help.Frank

A "weird" scopemount is not a precision rig anyway, I would go for an Aimpoint, they do no build as far rear as to the bolt. This way, at least he can get a proper contact on the stock, and have a fairly normal looking gun - the scout mount is not for everybody's taste, while just as good.

Bent Fossdal
Reiso
5685 Uggdal
Norway

Posts: 1707 | Location: Norway | Registered: 21 April 2005Reply With Quote