THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM GUNSMITHING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Guns, Politics, Gunsmithing & Reloading  Hop To Forums  Gunsmithing    Triggers/Safety for Interarms Mark X Magnum Action

Moderators: jeffeosso
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Triggers/Safety for Interarms Mark X Magnum Action
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Hi,

Just curious if anybody had any recommendations for finding a trigger & safety for an Interarms Mark X Magnum action.

I came into this action at an auction and while I realize there's probably many available triggers I am a little concerned that it doesn't appear to have the safety lever present. A brief search hasn't yielded anything in terms of looking up parts. I'll consult my Brownells catalog when I get a chance.

The trigger could be of benefit as I came across an interesting Mauser set trigger setup on an Interarms action during my brief web search.

Anyway, any help on how best to proceed with this, in terms of returning it to functionality without breaking the bank, would be greatly appreciated.

Reed

Posts: 649 | Location: Iowa | Registered: 29 August 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Reed,

Timney makes a replacement trigger that has the safety lever positioned exactly as your Mark X does.

You simply replace the trigger and safety with the new unit, fasten it with the two small screws/bolts holding it on the receiver, and you are done.

Brownell's carries it. I believe Timney markets it as the "Deluxe" trigger.

What I prefer is the Gentry Winchester style (3 position) safety, which Brownell's also carries.
But that is more expensive, and requires a 'smith to install it ( or you can send it to Gentry and they will do it for about $60-70).

Garrett

Posts: 987 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: 23 June 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ramrod340
posted Hide Post
Bold makes one as well as Timney. Brownells and Midway both carry them.

Davis May (yamyor38@pld.com)did have some of the new factory Daly's they feel like the later MKXs

Or you can go with the 3 position.

As usual just my $.02
Paul K

Posts: 12881 | Location: Mexico, MO | Registered: 02 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of lee440
posted Hide Post
The drawback to the aftermarket triggers are that they do not lock the bolt closed when applied like the factory MK X trigger does. Actually, with a little adjustment, I have been very satisfied with the factory triggers.

DRSS(We Band of Bubba's Div.)
N.R.A (Life)
T.S.R.A (Life)
D.S.C.

Posts: 2272 | Location: Texas | Registered: 18 May 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of tiggertate
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by lee440:
The drawback to the aftermarket triggers are that they do not lock the bolt closed when applied like the factory MK X trigger does. Actually, with a little adjustment, I have been very satisfied with the factory triggers.

If you want to stay stock you can order a new trigger from Charles Daly or look on eBay for the guy that sells Charles Daly parts.

"Experience" is the only class you take where the exam comes before the lesson.

Posts: 11142 | Location: Texas, USA | Registered: 22 September 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have a non mag I am building up. This is what I am doing might not fit your bill, but it ends up as a nice setup.

Buy a Timney like suggest above. Don't worry about the safety. Take the shotgun style safety and add it to the parts pile with the lousy trigger. Replace the safety with a mauser 2 or 3 position.

The above isn't all that expensive, but sure makes the Interarms a better setup. Another nice trick is get a 09 bottom metal and replace the Interarms. But that adds more cost.

Tiggertate, I don't like the factory triggers at all, and no amount of fiddling will correct that, in my mind, diffeerent strokes for different folks.

Posts: 1486 | Location: Idaho | Registered: 28 May 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of tiggertate
posted Hide Post
I don't prefer them either. I use a Blackburn trigger and a Model 70 style safety on mine. But for the economy minded the factory unit is pretty useable.

Posts: 11142 | Location: Texas, USA | Registered: 22 September 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
TIggertate,

I just think by the time you fiddle around with the stock trigger its cheaper and better just to replace it.

If your trying to get the stock factory light they are really best to adjust to 4-4 1/2 lbs. If you get chasing down below that they have a nasty habit of going off when the butt is snapped on the floor hard. I am certain that 3lbs is too light.

Too much work not enough gain for me. I do know where a drawer of these are and could be bought cheap.

one of us
Picture of ramrod340
posted Hide Post
quote:
Another nice trick is get a 09 bottom metal and replace the Interarms. But that adds more cost.

Just curious as to why? What do you find wrong with the MKX?

As usual just my $.02
Paul K

Posts: 12881 | Location: Mexico, MO | Registered: 02 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Don't get me wrong I like the Interarms actions, but high end they aren't.

What I dislike really is the whole bottom metal, particulaly the triggerguard.

The real problem is when you get to nit picking on the Interams actions you end up replacing everything, and your better off starting with different action.

If your going to drop $1500-2000 in a stock, the Interarms isn't a smart start.

Back in the day when Fajen used to sell semi inletted stocks for cheap, throw a trigger in it and change out the safety with a bolt shroud off a mauser converted to a 2 position, these are good solid working guns. Kinda like the sweet girl next door you knew your whole life, but never considered dating.

In short there is nothing really wrong with the Interarms bottom metal, but I like other setups better. Personal choice and me getting picky in my old age I suppose.

BTW I just bought a new Interarms action from a fellow board member so I must like them or I wouldn't have bought it. But if a nice FN enters my radar before I get bulding on the Interarms it will get backstaged.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
If you are interested, I have another batch of two position safeties in the works. They take a bit of simple fitting for the Mark-X but will work OK

Jim Kobe
10841 Oxborough Ave So
Bloomington MN 55437
Professional member American Custom Gunmakers Guild

Posts: 5523 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: 10 July 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Jim,

I was thinking of you when I wrote this.

Can you refresh details of your safties? I recall you wanted to swap shrouds. Does your conversion make the safety toggle front/rear?

one of us
Picture of HunterJim
posted Hide Post
Jim,

I would like to hear about your safety too. I have a Blackburn trigger already, and I am looking at the Gentry safety.

thanks...jim

if you're too busy to hunt,you're too busy.

Posts: 4166 | Location: San Diego, CA USA | Registered: 14 November 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by schromf:
Jim,

I was thinking of you when I wrote this.

Can you refresh details of your safties? I recall you wanted to swap shrouds. Does your conversion make the safety toggle front/rear?

Same price as before, $95 with your old shroud in trade. I machine the shrouds myself and us Wisner's lever kits. They are the best! It toggles front to back.

Jim

Jim Kobe
10841 Oxborough Ave So
Bloomington MN 55437

one of us
posted Hide Post
Thanks Jim,

My memory was shoddy on it.

one of us
posted Hide Post
I've used a Timney on my MkX, it is very serviceable.

I agree with the comments about getting a shroud mounted safety, though. The regular Timney safety is not the most positive - like most trigger mounted safeties. If you already had a stock with a cut-out for the side safety, perhaps I would stay with that safety, to avoid having to plug a hole in the stock or live with a big unused cut-out.

I also have to agree with schromf about using a MkX as the basis for a custom rifle. You have to think about what the project will end up costing. If you are looking for a custom stock etc etc, the MkX is a useable start, but the end result will still be a MkX based rifle, regardless of how nice and expensive a stock you fit it with. Very serviceable but hardly luxurious. But the MkX is a perfect way to start building a rifle with a bolt-on synthetic stock, say.

- mike

The rifle is a noble weapon... It entices its bearer into primeval forests, into mountains and deserts untenanted by man. - Horace Kephart

Posts: 6653 | Location: Switzerland | Registered: 11 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
If any of you have a locking bolt adjustable Mk X trigger for sale please PM me as I am trying to find one.

one of us
Picture of Badboyz
posted Hide Post
Mr. Kobe,

Sent you a p.m.

one of us
Picture of BigNate
posted Hide Post
I used the Timney Featherweight Deluxe on mine and was less than impressed. I'd recommend trying a Bold but I've only done this one MkX. Nate

Posts: 2376 | Location: Idaho Panhandle | Registered: 27 November 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Masterifleman
posted Hide Post
quote:
The drawback to the aftermarket triggers are that they do not lock the bolt closed when applied like the factory MK X trigger does.

Apparently this is a solution to a non-existant problem. Remington for years had the safety lock the trigger and the bolt. I can only imagine that they received numerous complaints because they no longer have that feature. I personally disabled that on all my older Remingtons because I don't like to take the safety off to remove a live round from the chamber.

"I ask, sir, what is the Militia? It is the whole people. To disarm the people is the best and most effective way to enslave them" - George Mason, co-author of the Second Amendment during the Virginia convention to ratify the Constitution

Posts: 1699 | Location: San Antonio, TX | Registered: 14 April 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
In addition to not locking the bolt, the aftermarket triggers do not lock the firing pin; they only lock the trigger. My conversion does both.

Jim

Jim Kobe
10841 Oxborough Ave So
Bloomington MN 55437

one of us
posted Hide Post
Very few trigger mounted safeties lock the firing pin, be they factory or aftermarket. In fact, I can only think of one off-hand. There is a Ruger M77 (is it a Mk II??) where the trigger mounted safety is connected with a pin, which rises up to lock the firing pin (I believe). Naturally,. there may be others, but the majority only lock trigger or at most also the bolt.
- mike

The rifle is a noble weapon... It entices its bearer into primeval forests, into mountains and deserts untenanted by man. - Horace Kephart

Posts: 6653 | Location: Switzerland | Registered: 11 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Idared
posted Hide Post
Reed

Not to take away from anything posted here, but if you are looking for an original trigger for this action I would ge in touch with:

Roy Davis May
RR1, Box 164
Moscow, Kansas 67952

(620)598-2394

yamyor38@pld.com

I have found him to be a very pleasant person to deal with.

"We do not exaggerate when we state positively that the remodelled Springfield is the best and most suitable "all 'round" rifle".......Seymour Griffin, GRIFFIN & HOWE, Inc.

Posts: 845 | Location: Central Washington State | Registered: 12 February 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of tiggertate
posted Hide Post
If you go with a safety like Jim's, then the Blackburn tigger is perfect. It lays back in the bow like a shotgun trigger. Very elegant looking and works as well as the best of them.

one of us
posted Hide Post
I think I remember reading about Remington's change in trigger/safety mechanism which was due to a LAW SUIT by someone who shot a family member while cycling rounds thru their 700 (ADL?) and had their finger on the trigger when it went boom. So, Remington's solution was to change the trigger. Never mind the jerk behind the trigger.

An old pilot, not a bold pilot, aka "the pig murdering fool"

one of us
Picture of HunterJim
posted Hide Post
Dustoffer,

I have read that there have been multiple lawsuits, and a Remington internal memo that said in their tests with rifles coming off the production line as many as 1% could be "tricked" into firing when the safety (and not the trigger) was manipulated. Jack Belk who used to post here was an expert who testified for the plaintiff. There were also internal memos that recognized the problem with the design and proposed a low cost fix which was not adopted. With over four million rifles "out there", 1% is a pretty big number.

Remington's fix was to change the safety so it did not lock the bolt, and the rifle could then be unloaded without moving the safety lever. The trigger design itself is still a problem.

jim

if you're too busy to hunt,you're too busy.

Posts: 4166 | Location: San Diego, CA USA | Registered: 14 November 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of tiggertate
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by dustoffer:
I think I remember reading about Remington's change in trigger/safety mechanism which was due to a LAW SUIT by someone who shot a family member while cycling rounds thru their 700 (ADL?) and had their finger on the trigger when it went boom. So, Remington's solution was to change the trigger. Never mind the jerk behind the trigger.

It was a little worse than that on Remington's part but unfortunately for them, the fellow that got shot and paralyzed was a pretty high-powered trial lawyer. That NEVER hepls a defendant.

One of Us
Picture of lee440
posted Hide Post
I don't agree that locking the bolt is not a usefull feature. Several years ago, while on a Grizzly hunt in Canada, we were in the area of a known bear kill. I had one in the chamber and the safety on(Chapman 2 posistion) as we were going through very heavy brush. I looked down ans saw that a branch had kicked up the bolt handle on my .375 Whitworth enough to put it out of commision. I changed over to the Dakota 3 pos. when I returned. It may not matter to most folks, but I don't need to help Mr. Murphy at all. My .02.

DRSS(We Band of Bubba's Div.)
N.R.A (Life)
T.S.R.A (Life)
D.S.C.

Posts: 2272 | Location: Texas | Registered: 18 May 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
A little bit off topic but what is a reasonable price for a Mark X in decent condition? One of my wifes friends has a .270 that she got when her father passed away. It has an older Redfield scope in Buehler mounts. She asked me what she should sell it for and I told her I'd try and get her a ball park figure.

Jeff

In the land of the blind, the man with one eye is king.

Posts: 784 | Location: Michigan | Registered: 18 December 2000Reply With Quote