New
Find
Notify
Tools

Source for Small Grip Cap
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I am building a new stock on my own - just for fun mostly. One thing I overlooked when doing the shaping is the "correct" size for the grip cap. I assumed that I could make the grip (and cap) any size I wanted, then just buy a grip cap to match homer

Well, after I got the size and shape where I wanted it, I went looking for a nice classic steel grip cap, and found that most people like them much larger than me! Most that I find are 1.75-2" long.

I need a grip cap that is 3.8 centimeters, or 1.5 inches, long. The stock is an English-style pattern, so I'm just looking for a simple, classic cap, nothing fancy.

Any suggestions?

Use enough gun...
Shoot 'till it's dead, especially if it bites.

Posts: 898 | Location: Southlake, Tx | Registered: 30 June 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of fla3006
posted Hide Post
The small Jerry Fisher from Brownells is nice, not sure if it will fit you though.

NRA Life Member, Band of Bubbas Charter Member, PGCA, DRSS.
Shoot & hunt with vintage classics.

Posts: 9487 | Location: Texas Hill Country | Registered: 11 January 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Check with Dressels, they have 3 or 4 diferent sizes and have a website.

WWW.Dressels.com

Jim Kobe
10841 Oxborough Ave So
Bloomington MN 55437
Professional member American Cusom Gunmakers Guild

Posts: 5508 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: 10 July 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the replies. The smallest Dressel's cap is 3.9 cm, and the smallest Fisher cap is 4.3 cm. Those were the first two I looked at, only to discover they are both too big.

Use enough gun...

One of Us
Picture of richj
posted Hide Post
What size are Biesen's. Can't get there from here today.

http://www.biesen.com/Accessor_1_1.html

Posts: 6446 | Location: NY, NY | Registered: 28 November 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of dempsey
posted Hide Post
I don't think you'll find something that works. The wrist, size and shape is dictated by the caps size and shape. Odds are long you free handed something that will fit both. I suppose I'd try a piece of ebony.

Posts: 6205 | Location: Cascade, MT | Registered: 12 February 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
who says you can't grind one down to fit what you need or take a flat piece of steel and make one yourself?

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 22WRF:
who says you can't grind one down to fit what you need or take a flat piece of steeo and make one yourself?

I have thought about that though it would require more tools than I currently have. I could have a 'smith do it I'm sure but I really wanted this to be a true "do it yourself" project. It sounds like using Ebony or some other wood might be the best way to go.

Use enough gun...

one of us
Picture of tiggertate
posted Hide Post
Before you give up, google "reproduction grip caps" and other combinations of similar description. There are a LOT of different caps out there from different sources than common gunsmithing parts houses. You may even find a cool reproduction that matches your rifle's manufacturer.

Here's one source:

Vintage Grip Caps

"Experience" is the only class you take where the exam comes before the lesson.

Posts: 11137 | Location: Texas, USA | Registered: 22 September 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have a Dressel Miniature grip cap and it has a very small bead or lip around the outside diameter which could be easily removed with a few file strokes or one easy lap around a grinding wheel. This removal would leave the measurements at 1.490 or 3.78cm. Should be easy to do,just go slow.
Bob

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by manhasset:
I have a Dressel Miniature grip cap and it has a very small bead or lip around the outside diameter which could be easily removed with a few file strokes or one easy lap around a grinding wheel. This removal would leave the measurements at 1.490 or 3.78cm. Should be easy to do,just go slow.
Bob

Thanks! Just ordered one, we'll see how it works out.

Use enough gun...